Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

The 4 oz. contact lens solution - permissible? declarable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 4 oz. contact lens solution - permissible? declarable?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
As I posted in the Experiences thread, I got mine through sans baggie. All four were 4oz or less.

BUT, I had to show them the TSA website page at ABQ last night before I could keep them.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by entropy
I was flying out of SJC last night, and had a bottle of lens solution with me. I also brought a printout of the TSA website stating that they were OK as long as they were declared.

Stormtrooper-ette 55166 told me that they were not permitted, and I showed her the web printout. SHe said MEDICAL, and I asked if near sightedness was a medical condition. She said yes, but the contact lens solution for my contacts was not a medical necessity. I highlighted for her the parts of the website where it says quite clearly that there is no limit on the saline solution as long as it is declared, and that I was declaring it. She called over stormtrooper 49505 who agreed with her. I told them to check with their boss, which they said they did and came back with the same answer. They ended up stealing my solution.
This is typical of them.

File a claims form asking for the value of the solution, and provide a receipt if at all possible. I doubt they'll ever fulfill the claim, but at least you will have it on record that they stole it from you.

Also, fire the FSD for SJC a note. I've exchanged e-mails with her, and she seems to know what she's doing. I believe another traveler in a thread here indicated having his solution confiscated at SJC, too, and that the FSD said he was right, the screener wrong, and to file a claim.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Why doesn't this surprise me??

This morning while waiting in the rather long line at PIT a TSO was walking around the prescreening area asking people if they needed to "declare" any liquids or gels.

I stopped her as she was walking by and I asked her if I needed to have the "declaration form" that I printed from the TSA website for my 4oz saline solution. She said if it's 3oz or under it could go in my KIP ZIP FREEDOM bag or if it's 4oz or more I would have to have the "declaration form". I told her I already have the form and I had already filled it out. She said OK, you're good.

Now, I get up to the WTMD and hand the TSO my boarding pass along with the "declaration form" for my saline, and he looks at me and the form and says "WHAT'S THIS FOR?"

OK, do they not instruct ALL of the TSA agents about the NEW RULES as they are posted on their own website?

I just don't get it! But atleast I didn't get my saline solution confiscated. ^
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Dilemma

Originally Posted by vinotinto
I can't believe I'm posting a question about freakin' contact lens solution, but I am. I need to know recent travellers experience bringing it. I know that previous to the freedom baggies you could bring the 4 oz. contact lens solution. But post-freedom baggies, can we still bring it? I read somewhere that some guy was told it had to be "declared." True or not? I'm flying international out of ATL on Thursday and would prefer to not check the solution, but it's more important for me to have the solution at my destination, so confiscation needs to be avoided! TIA

If you planned on checking a bag, perhaps you could pack a bottle of contact lens juice in there, in case you encounter trouble at the TSA point. That way you will have some with you one regardless of the carryon bag one(hopefully) at the destination. If only doing a carry-on then, good luck, and who knows what is best to do.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AAdvantage 1MM, Bonvoy, Hilton, IHG, Emerald (National), BA Emirates
Slightly off-topic - - but the preferred size of _gel_ deodorant I use has << 4 ounces >> clearly printed on it.

So... solution to this problem? Put some other 3-ounce or smaller items in the "freedom baggie" and let them x-ray that, to their heart's content.

Other items... greater than 3 ounces - - or too much stuff for the 1 quart Ziplock constraint? Just leave them in your carry-on. They didn't root through my stuff in SDF or RDU this weekend. They can't or won't detect it or bother.

I don't know _what_ they can detect.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:16 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rexb
And that, my friend, is the heart of why the water ban and the ziplock carnival are the worst kind of kabuki security. @:-)
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
And you will find no mention of 4oz for contact lens or saline anymore on the TSA web. It simply says if the size is greater than 3 ounces you must declare it, it's allowed in carry-on, and it should not be in the 1 qt bag.

So, any size should be allowed, since it's not prohibited.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Wait a minute!

Originally Posted by DallasBill
And you will find no mention of 4oz for contact lens or saline anymore on the TSA web. It simply says if the size is greater than 3 ounces you must declare it, it's allowed in carry-on, and it should not be in the 1 qt bag.

So, any size should be allowed, since it's not prohibited.

An open 12 oz saline solution bottle is "safe"; however, a factory-sealed 500 ml (16 oz) bottle of water isn't?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:05 pm

Please! You are trying to apply logic to the TSA?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Please! You are trying to apply logic to the TSA?
^ ^

I think that Points Scrounger is guilty of overthinking these new rules. 15 yard penalty, loss of solution.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rexb
Slightly off-topic - - but the preferred size of _gel_ deodorant I use has << 4 ounces >> clearly printed on it.

So... solution to this problem? Put some other 3-ounce or smaller items in the "freedom baggie" and let them x-ray that, to their heart's content.

Other items... greater than 3 ounces - - or too much stuff for the 1 quart Ziplock constraint? Just leave them in your carry-on. They didn't root through my stuff in SDF or RDU this weekend. They can't or won't detect it or bother.

I too use a 4oz gel deodorant. I put it in the Ziploc Sunday at SDF...it got TSA'ed.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
An open 12 oz saline solution bottle is "safe"; however, a factory-sealed 500 ml (16 oz) bottle of water isn't?
??? its not safe (according to various idiots there...)

they stole my hair fiber which is as solid as stick deodorant too on the way back....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.