Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Permissible In Carry-On and Checked Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawbridge
1. Does shaving cream in a can count as an aerosol? There are both regular and gel shaving creams in a can. I assume that the gel shaving cream, even in the can, cannot be taken on board. But can the foamy type of shaving cream?

2. I have the same question as Richard 1148. Does anyone know if solid deoderants like Mitchum (as opposed to roll-ons like Ban or liquid/gels like Right Guard or Gillette) can be taken in a carry-on?

Hotels supply shampoo and I'm guessing that the solid stick deoderants are OK, but I don't know how shaving cream would be classified.
1. Shaving cream is banned, as are all aerosols. Gel or foamy - makes no difference.

2. Solid deoderant is ok, but the TSA says it's within the screener's discretion to ban it. Nice, huh?
Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:55 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Thanks FWAAA. I haven't flown since 8/10, but have Mexico City, Dubai, London and Denver, and BWI coming up in short order.

I can't think of any alternative to either shaving cream or toothpaste that can be carried on and is functional. Am I missing something obvious? If not, are the choices:

1. Check my bag? (hate to do this as I have short trips with little possibility to recover if my clothes get lost);
2. Stop at a drugstore when I arrive? [On at least one of the international trips, I'll be picked up at the aiport by high-level folks in Mexico at least, and won't easily be able to stop at a drug store on the way.]
3. Purchase at duty free? I read that you can now take on stuff you purchase at duty free, but is that universal and do have duty-free shops figured out that they can make a fortune on shaving cream and toothpaste?
4. Take my clothes on board but check a small bag with toothpaste and shaving cream?

What are people doing to cope with the regulatory change?

Last edited by shawbridge; Aug 19, 2006 at 9:56 am Reason: proper puncuation
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
I have now done two things.
Fed Ex toiletries to Hotel, cost $15 BDL-ORD
Bought new ones at CVS, cost $15 JFK-LAX
Toothpaste, Deodarant, Shaving cream and tiny bottle cologne
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:05 am

What the Government says is not always what the Government does out in the field. I am going to try the following:

1. Solid stick deodorant
2. Tooth powder
3. Shaving soap (you put it in a cup and swirl up some suds of a bar of soap)

It should work, but I bet some felon the TSA hired won't like it.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:25 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
How about Fess Frequent Flyer ? It is a liquid nasal saline spray in a 30 ml dispenser.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Thanks, BDLORD and bxwatso. I'll experiment. I'd never heard of tooth powder but I'll buy some and see if it works. I have heard of the shaving soap (once given to me with an absurdly expensive brush for swirling it around from Brooks Brothers or Tiffany's. Not sure I have it but I'll look.

For Baltimore, I may FedEx. For Denver, I'll check stuff in. For Dubai and Mexico City, I'll try carry-on powder and soap and see what works. Life sure poses unexpected challenges.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by yosithezet
How about Fess Frequent Flyer ? It is a liquid nasal saline spray in a 30 ml dispenser.
I use Ocean which is just Saline solution. I get bloody noses all the time on planes.
I brought my 45cc (1.5 oz.) bottle on the plane along with my Refresh tears which is 32ml around (1 oz.)
No problems at security. Put it in your pocket.
Where do you find that product?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:25 pm

Albuterol Asthma inhaler and prescription tablets

Have tried to find out if can take on carry on an asthma inhaler from doctor and prescription tablets in bottle from pharmacy.
Any help is appreciated.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatman12345
Have tried to find out if can take on carry on an asthma inhaler from doctor and prescription tablets in bottle from pharmacy.
Any help is appreciated.
You may bring both without difficulty.

Welcome to Flyertalk, fatman.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:59 pm

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. We're getting ready to go to Disneyworld tomorrow and my daughter always has difficulty with her asthma when she gets to a humid climate.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:15 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fatman12345
Any help is appreciated.
As long as they have the prescription labels and they are in your name, you should be ok. See http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:32 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by BDLORD
Where do you find that product?
Australia or New Zealand. Actually I bought one last November and it ran out this summer. Luckily I had a friend who was in Australia on business and had him buy me two containers of it.

Their website says:
For information on where to purchase the FESSŪ Range of products outside of Australia please email us at: [email protected]
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I can't see why a "sample=trial"(1 oz) size tooth paste is forbidden (but if I want "logic" in all of this I'm asking for trouble .) I know that a 1 oz size will last about 30 uses; I was thinking of bringing 3 or 4 small "dabs" for a weekend trip--I wonder if that is legal?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Different vitamins in one bottle

I take three different vitamin supplements and one herbal supplement (ginkgo). I have always counted out how many I would need for my trip and put all of them in one vitamin bottle in my carry-on. Will I need to bring the individual bottles or can I still put them all together in one bottle? None of these are gel capsules, so they are individually permitted.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about Tempur pedic memory foam pillows? Claims to be foam, feels like a gel.

I was thinking of buying one of these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.