Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Federal Judge finds security patdowns at football games unconstitutional

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Federal Judge finds security patdowns at football games unconstitutional

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Why do all of you people hate security and America so much?!?!
Because I don't care about my kid!

Super

*for those with no sense of humor, I really do love my son.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doppy
Why do all of you people hate security and America so much?!?!
We don't "hate" security and America. In fact, we love our country and it's freedoms. What we hate is watching those freedoms being slowly eroded in the name of "security", which is no security at all.

"The Fourth Amendment embodies a value judgment by the Framers that prevents us from gardually trading ever-increasing amounts of freedom and privacy for additional security. It establishes searches based on evidence-rather than potentially effective, broad prophylactic dragnets-as the constitutions norm." Bourgeois 387 F.3d at 1312.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
We don't "hate" security and America. In fact, we love our country and it's freedoms. What we hate is watching those freedoms being slowly eroded in the name of "security", which is no security at all.

"The Fourth Amendment embodies a value judgment by the Framers that prevents us from gardually trading ever-increasing amounts of freedom and privacy for additional security. It establishes searches based on evidence-rather than potentially effective, broad prophylactic dragnets-as the constitutions norm." Bourgeois 387 F.3d at 1312.
I think your sarcasometer needs its batteries changed.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superguy
I think your sarcasometer needs its batteries changed.
You are probably right - however, Doppy often uses emoticons and he didn't with this post.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best part of these rulings, IMO, is the inevitable impact they will have on the growing desire of municipalities to search users of public transportation. As Bart often points out, there are plenty of lower court rulings approving of airport searches, but I'm not familiar with any court rulings approving of subway, bus or train searches.

Funny that in the Soldier Field dispute, the police and Park District are forced to argue that the searches the NFL demands are unconstitutional; the reality is that they probably simply don't want to pay for the searches under their existing contractual duty to provide security at Soldier Field.

I agree with mbstone; a wholly private facility would alleviate this problem for the "let's pat down everybody everyday crowd" but I also agree with PatrickHenry1775 that many sporting venues will have to remain under public ownership due to financing issues or simply political reality.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This decision got reversed today.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by LessO2
That sucks. If only this crap would end at the airports.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The NFL lauded the ruling.

"Pat-downs are an important part of our comprehensive security procedures, including secure facility perimeters and bag searches," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement. "These limited, consensual security screenings are designed to enhance the protection and safety of our fans."
Idiots. Yet another reason to ignore the NFL and concentrate on College Football.

OTOH, if they had the players and cheerleaders doing the patdowns, maybe it wouldn't be so bad

Did anyone think the original ruling would stand for long? At least it didn't get to the Supreme Court, where Scalia could have written about how everyone should get a DNA sample taken for a national database and have a GPS tracking device inserted into their bodies.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Can I get a female cheerleader patdown
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by bocastephen
if they had the players and cheerleaders doing the patdowns, maybe it wouldn't be so bad

Did anyone think the original ruling would stand for long? At least it didn't get to the Supreme Court, where Scalia could have written about how everyone should get a DNA sample taken for a national database and have a GPS tracking device inserted into their bodies.
Forget that - if the fans could pat down the players or cheerleaders (each fan gets to choose)...that would be great!

A simple fix for the NFL would be to make 1 gate a "no patdown" gate, but (a) require a hand magnetometer, (b) allow no packages - period, and (c) provide only 2 staff people. Then, the other gates would move fast, as people give up rights for convenience, and the few who care about making statements for their civil liberties would suffer (as is desired by those who run our country today).
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no constitutional right to attend a football game, but there is a constitutional right against harassment. Is it truly consensual if they hold your ticket hostage and prevent you from getting in if you don't "consent" to the search?

I hope this goes before all 12 judges.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Football is better on TV anyway. If a guy 2 feet from the ball can be fooled what chance do I have 50 or 100 yards away to figure it out?

Now baseball is better in person!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Bart
Unfortunately, the article didn't mention if the judge struck down searches by privately-contracted security guards or police officers. I would think that the practice of looking inside backpacks for glass containers would still be permitted as a reasonable security search. I do agree that pat-downs at sports events is unreasonable.

The problem I have with this article is that it doesn't mention much about the arguments behind the decision.
[guess]

My guess is that the decision would be limited to (1) police officers at any venue, and (2) and any security contracted by a public venue.

Private security guards at private facilities wouldn't be affected.

Private security guards at private events in public facilities would have to take care to operate independently of law enforcement & the facilities' managment.

[/guess]

This is a good step in the right direction.

Later: Didn't notice that this is an old thread, sorry about that, but now that I'm here ....

I hope the decision is upheld on appeal. Generally government cannot require that you relinquish your rights.

In this case, however, the NFL is quoted in the above-linked SFGATE article as being strongly in favor of the patdown searches. As a private organization (and football games are really private events in public facilities), they probably can find a way to circumvent any final decision.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jun 27, 2007 at 6:49 pm
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:32 am

Programs: AA DL HH
I always figured those patdowns were really less about stopping a terrorist attack and more about confiscating bottles. (consequently selling more beer)
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Originally Posted by gofast
I always figured those patdowns were really less about stopping a terrorist attack and more about confiscating bottles. (consequently selling more beer)
I don't think there's any question about it. From my experience, many of the people conducting the patdowns are less competent than your average TSAer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.