Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Author critical of administration gets put on the no-fly list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Author critical of administration gets put on the no-fly list

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:22 am

I agree that we're headed in the wrong direction, and I'm not a Bush fan, but this has been happening for a while. Naturalist Farley Mowat, one of Canada's great writers ("Never Cry Wolf"), was refused entry in the 1980s ... allegedly because he disagreed with cruise missiles (I've yet to meet a Canadian who enjoyed that period where American cruise missiles flew over Canadian territory). Hey, even Jack London had some questionable politics, but he still wrote a good yarn...

This is the ACLU's pithy take on it - http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/details/mowat.html - if you read through some of the other examples, some are rather surprising, such as Pierre Trudeau's exclusion in the 1950s. (Trudeau later became... wait for it... Prime Minister of Canada... a bilingual powerhouse who was hardly "subversive".)
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Superguy
You'll get on it for being affilated with the shoe carnival website.
I'm proud to be affiliated with a website that shows what a farce airport "security" harassment really is. If gutless, yellow punks want to try to blacklist me for that, there's not a lot I can do except continue to campaign for their swift deportation or at least arrest.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
I'm proud to be affiliated with a website that shows what a farce airport "security" harassment really is. If gutless, yellow punks want to try to blacklist me for that, there's not a lot I can do except continue to campaign for their swift deportation or at least arrest.
We're proud to have you.

I sent the glossary out Wednesday night, if you're still on the dev list. Let me know what you think of it.

Super
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by yukon28209
I agree that we're headed in the wrong direction, and I'm not a Bush fan, but this has been happening for a while. Naturalist Farley Mowat, one of Canada's great writers ("Never Cry Wolf"), was refused entry in the 1980s ... allegedly because he disagreed with cruise missiles (I've yet to meet a Canadian who enjoyed that period where American cruise missiles flew over Canadian territory). Hey, even Jack London had some questionable politics, but he still wrote a good yarn...

This is the ACLU's pithy take on it - http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/details/mowat.html - if you read through some of the other examples, some are rather surprising, such as Pierre Trudeau's exclusion in the 1950s. (Trudeau later became... wait for it... Prime Minister of Canada... a bilingual powerhouse who was hardly "subversive".)
Farley Mowat was on record threatening to fire shotguns at the Atlantic-Canada-stationed USAF B-52's that may or may not have been carrying nukes; as if that would do any damage to the aircraft. At least he got turned back at "Moulton" (he refuses to call YYZ "Pearson") and not LAX.

As for Pierre Elliot, IIRC, he was turned back at the I-91 auto border crossing and just went to another smaller crossing where he was waved through.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
This guy wrote a book (Bush's Brain) critical of the administration, and was subsequently put on the no fly list last year. Coincidence?
Probably, yeah. Probably some criminal used this guy's name as an alias, and the name got put on the list. The list has so many darn names on it that I wouldn't be surprised if it were coincidence.

(Incidentally, I have a vague memory that there are actually two lists, and it's probably not the "no-fly" list that he was on -- I can't remember what the other was called.)
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Twice.
Well, I commend you for your honesty ...
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
I'm sure you have the undivided attention of the DHS...
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by daw617
Probably, yeah. Probably some criminal used this guy's name as an alias, and the name got put on the list. The list has so many darn names on it that I wouldn't be surprised if it were coincidence.

(Incidentally, I have a vague memory that there are actually two lists, and it's probably not the "no-fly" list that he was on -- I can't remember what the other was called.)
There are way more than two lists, but the practical appearance to many "users and subjects" is that there are two: a "watch list" that gets a passenger haraSSSSed and a "no-fly list" that doesn't necessarily result in arrest but will certainly deny a passenger the ability to fly ..... unless the denied person gets creative.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by n5667
Undivided DHS attention. ROTFLOL. Isn't that an oxymoron?
Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:00 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=Flaflyer][QUOTE=goaliemn]Common names show up on there quite a bit. Someone, somewhere, used that name as an alias and got caught, so now they're on the list.

I do so hope that somewhere a bad guy uses the alias "George Bush". When W is out of office he will hopefully someday have to fly commercial and get his very own Secondary. ^
I don't know of a single living ex-POTUS who has not routinely flown on scheduled commercial planes within the US after leaving the White House. GF, GHWB, WJC are certainly no exception .... as I've been on commercial flights with the latter two a few times.

If USAir goes, I don't wonder where they will go -- just another commercial airline.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:17 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by n5667
"I'm sooooo scared!" - "Video Pirates", Amazon Women on the Moon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.