Wiki Posts
Search

I was put on the No-Fly list

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was put on the No-Fly list

Yesterday I tried to check-in at SEA with UA's Mr. Easy-Chicken machine and it said "see agent". So I go to the line and TA says your on the no-fly list. What?

I have a very common name, and as American as John Smith.
I am UA 1K, fly just about every week and never had a problem until yesterday.
I am a "Registered Traveller" from LAX where they have already done a background check. Granted it wasn't LAX, but I would think it is (or should be) tied to my MP number. Although I know it has been a test thing forever (and pretty much useless to me so far).

Anyhow I gave her my drivers license she made a call and after the call said, your middle name saved you.

I am surprised she told me I was on the list, although I would have asked why she needed to call since it has never happened before. I said I suppose now I get SSSS'd. Nope, everything went fine after that.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You won't be the first and you certainly won't be the last. People on these blacklists will discover, sooner or later, that a variation of their name -- including insertions/deletions/abbreviations of first, middle, last names or order-switching -- is a workaround. (Apparently, gender distinguishing titles, such as Mr. or Mrs., are not necessarily a "workaround".) Not surprisingly, such a "workaround" is the one that the FBI, State (when it impacted diplomats) and airlines have been suggesting on a piece-meal basis.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 25, 2005 at 8:01 am
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you flown since then? Some people have to go through this routine every time they fly.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
Have you flown since then? Some people have to go through this routine every time they fly.
No it was just yesterday. Boy I hope it doesn't happen every time from now on.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
No it was just yesterday. Boy I hope it doesn't happen every time from now on.
You may not have to go through "the routine" every time. I know a few people who found themselves in like circumstances and fortunately they were not subject to "the routine" even the following week. If it becomes an issue, you can suggest that they contact the local FBI field office and have them validate that it is not you on the list. One blacklist case involved someone who was working in a staff position for the NSC not too long ago; it was rather amusing -- especially given his position prior to his own name's "blacklisting".
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:05 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Yesterday I tried to check-in at SEA with UA's Mr. Easy-Chicken machine and it said "see agent". So I go to the line and TA says your on the no-fly list. What?
I normally try to come up with humorous responses to your posts, but this is not funny at all - it just plain sucks. Hope it gets fixed soon. Good luck.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I normally try to come up with humorous responses to your posts, but this is not funny at all - it just plain sucks. Hope it gets fixed soon. Good luck.
And I was expecting it too...

I thought maybe I was on the no-fly list because UA forgot to board the Rum.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:07 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
[QUOTE=1K_From_SNA]Yesterday I tried to check-in at SEA with UA's Mr. Easy-Chicken machine and it said "see agent". So I go to the line and TA says your on the no-fly list. What?

Forget NYC get together. I do not associate with characters on No-Fly-List.
I am not ready for :"Guilty by association".
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I was expecting it too...

I thought maybe I was on the no-fly list because UA forgot to board the Rum.
Maybe you should add you middle name to your MP profile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.