Wiki Posts
Search

Logic and the SSSS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:10 am

Programs: TSA
ummm

Originally Posted by bstrickmma
You are missing the point...there is an inherent lack of common sense here as it's obvious to both your agency and the airline whether or not the passenger is a minor.
The computer program for PNR ( I know this from another job) has no place for entering the age info on passengers. The TSA as you know it has nothing to do with the SSSS list. It was in place before the TSA came into being. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 72 qualifications for being put on SSSS. These things are not all known by us commoners in the trenches. There are things that are obvious like one way and cash transactions. Other than that we can only speculate unless we talk to the original programmers. Also you have to remember that while this may integrate with secure flight and combine the no fly list with the SSSS designations right now it does not.

Regardless, since you apparently do not appreciate the basic common-sense arguement regarding this issue, the carrier or TSA have the authority to deselect minors for haraSSSSment. Time for you to review your SOP.
The SOP has nothing to do with this. The front line screeners have nothing to do with this. The SOP tells how to deal with SSSS pax. The TSA has said that it will not deselect anyone for any reason. As to whether the airline can do it or WILL do it, is another non issue. Just the other day a local DEN LEO went to get his ticket flying in state, he was in uniform, he got SSSS. It was posted on here by someone else that a ticket agent can deselect someone but it is not a known practice. That is, that HOW you do it is not widely circulated. So what we are basically stuck with is something that a lot of people dont agree with yet there is a lot of mystery about it. As for what I do or dont appreciate, you have no idea.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:16 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Wink

Originally Posted by skofarrell
why only SSSS 3 of us?
As a former OMNI moderator, you are a marked man
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:14 pm

Programs: United GS; Lufthansa Senator; Delta Gold: Marriott Titanium; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist

Last edited by MMA95D; Mar 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm
Old Dec 30, 2004, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I can assume is that if there is a "large" group with the same last name and a flight pattern it considers to be out of the ordinary then the computer will just pick a few people, perhaps it picked the first three first names in the alphabet, perhaps just in order it's in the system, and perhaps totally random...
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by jfe
As a former OMNI moderator, you are a marked man
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:49 pm

Programs: TSA
well

Originally Posted by bstrickmma
TSA regulations allow airlines to deselect pax for haraSSSSment based on certain criteria...period. It should have been obvious when the gentlemen's family checked in that his children met that certain criteria.

I can tell we've touched a nerve here as you are being so defensive. Thus the appearence that you do not appreciate neither the common-sense theme or what the rules are. I suggest you review the policy before knee-jerking so much.

P.S.-If the LEO was a federal officer flying on official orders, he would have been exempt from SSSS. I don't believe there is an exemption regarding state officials (except maybe for the transport of prisoners), I'll need to look into this one.
There is no one on this board qualified to talk about the SSSS process. I dont know everything about it. I can tell you though that there is only ONE exception to it at the checkpoint. It will never apply to anyone here. I have even been SSSS while getting a boarding pass in UNIFORM. The airlines wont take the liability that comes with un SSSS ing someone. As far as what you know about LEO flying armed. Bush signed an order that requires all federal employees that are able to be armed to fly armed. This compliments that FAM program. So it has nothing to do with orders. As far as being defensive goes, you get what you read in posts without the benefit of real interaction so the emotion that you put on it is all in YOUR mind.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:54 pm

Programs: United GS; Lufthansa Senator; Delta Gold: Marriott Titanium; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by eyecue
I have even been SSSS while getting a boarding pass in UNIFORM.
That is because you didn't meet the criteria to be deselected. Again...please review the policy.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:52 am

TSA can no longer deselect anyone. It used to be we could deselect young children, military in uniform traveling with orders, and flight crew in uniform traveling jump seat. Then, we couldn't deselect the flight crew or the military, but we could suggest (before they presented anything for screening) that they go back to the airline and ask to be deselected. We are no longer allowed to do that either. If someone comes in as a selectee, they remain a selectee; there's nothing we can do about it.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
ITs called displacement. IT is an active theory of security.
A lot of people once thought the earth was flat, too.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:57 pm

I have even been SSSS while getting a boarding pass in UNIFORM.
Nice to see standards applied fairly.

But this is a classic example of the silliness of the SSSS program anyway.

Were you allowed to screen (or as some would say, grope) yourself at the checkpoing for the SSSS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.