Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA Screeners: DCA passengers strip searched in public

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 5:49 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
TSA 'pat-downs' cross the line for some fliers

Washinhton Times Article

"Millions of holiday travelers nationwide are experiencing an all-too-intimate form of security screening that some say amounts to sexual groping — a "pat-down" by government officials...

...In the average week, 2.1 million passengers are patted down and 12 complaints are filed, said Mark Hatfield, spokesman for the TSA.
"Every complaint is important and we want to get to the bottom of the complaints and find out what has happened," Mr. Hatfield said. "But this is a very important security measure to address a specific threat, and until we can come up with a technological solution, this is an old-fashioned, low-tech tool in our arsenal to mitigate a threat."

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/

"The American press is all about lies! All they tell is lies, lies and more lies!"
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:23 am
In Memoriam

Spiff:

are we gonna see a new thread each time another newspaper writes (or reprints) another article on this topic?

UP
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Washinhton Times Article
"But this is a very important security measure to address a specific threat,
WHat threat, exactly?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by underpressure
Spiff:

are we gonna see a new thread each time another newspaper writes (or reprints) another article on this topic?

UP
Perhaps. Depends on whether there's some new info or story.

There's going to be a lot more new articles on this touchy subject, I guarantee it.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:57 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Spiff
Perhaps. Depends on whether there's some new info or story.

There's going to be a lot more new articles on this touchy subject, I guarantee it.
Pun intended?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by underpressure
Pun intended?
That's one of the many reasons I like FT so much; the average IQ is pretty high!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This should make Adm Stone very proud of his agency:

In a report on WJLA Channel 7 News last night, unidentified screeners at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport said women were being selected for private screening based on breast size and strip-searched. The searches were required after screeners kicked equipment to set off alarms.

"In a sense, they were being raped," one TSA screener said.

Strip searches were being conducted in a stairwell, WJLA reported, but were moved to a supervisor's private office where the activities were recorded on a hidden camera.

Mr. Hatfield said the TSA will show "zero tolerance" in its investigation of the matter. "We will root out the individual," he said.
http://washingtontimes.com/national/...5912-9297r.htm

What a pathetic country we have become.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Mark Hatfield:"We will root out the individual,"

"Who are in control, they are not in control of anything - they don't even control themselves!"

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
What a pathetic country we have become.
Soon they'll be changing the pledge of allegiance to read more like this:

I pledge allegiance to the bureaucrats of the Transportation Security Administration
and to the policies without intelligence, one agency, out of control,
unbelievable, with distain and injustice for all.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:11 pm

Programs: TSA Reanimation Program
Originally Posted by Fly4Food
Soon they'll be changing the pledge of allegiance to read more like this:

I pledge allegiance to the bureaucrats of the Transportation Security Administration
and to the policies without intelligence, one agency, out of control,
unbelievable, with distain and injustice for all.
Oooo, I hope so. I want to see everyone say that before they come through the metal detector. Make sure you raise your arm in the nazi salute otherwise you'll be taken into the private screening room and made to sniff zyklon B. We are only one step away from running airports like a concentration camp right?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Decomposing Screener
We are only one step away from running airports like a concentration camp right?
Nah, more like 3 or 4 steps.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond

If true, this is unconscionable.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1104/190100.html
AGAIN AND AGAIN, TSA EMPLOYEES AT REAGAN NATIONAL AIRPORT -INCLUDING SUPERVISORS-TOLD US THAT PASSENGERS WERE ASKED TO REMOVE THEIR CLOTHING AND EXPOSE THEIR PRIVATE PARTS DURING SECURITY SCREENINGS…A CLEAR VIOLATION OF TSA'S OWN INTERNAL GUIDELINES… OBTAINED BY THE I-TEAM.

TSA Employee: "The look on their face would almost give you the sense that they felt like they were in a sense being raped. In a sense, being victimized and to a certain extent, they were. "
The worst part is that the TV station apparently corroborated this not only with several screeners, but supervisors as well. The article goes on to state that passengers were stripped and forced to "duck walk" to "see if something would fall out" in a publicy accesible stairwell, and later moved to an office that was monitored by a video camera.

SO, WHO INVESTIGATES COMPLAINTS ABOUT TSA SCREENINGS? WELL, THE TSA DOES! THROUGH THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT, WE'VE REQUESTED ALL OF THE PASSENGER COMPLAINTS ABOUT SCREENINGS AT NATIONAL AIRPORT AND WILL REPORT BACK ONCE WE HAVE THAT INFORMATION.
Something tells me that FOIA request isn't going to be fulfilled.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 6:16 pm

It's lawsuit time! Too bad this happened in the 4th Circuit. It's the circuit most deferential to "the government interest." Still, the screeners' conduct sounds so egregious I bet this case will be decided against their favor.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:37 pm

Programs: TSA Reanimation Program
Originally Posted by RandyP
The article goes on to state that passengers were stripped and forced to "duck walk" to "see if something would fall out" in a publicy accesible stairwell, and later moved to an office that was monitored by a video camera.
Just out of curiosity how does one duck walk?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I'm merging this thread with a similar one that was originally posted on 11/29/04.

Cholula

Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.