Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No-Fly List

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2004, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Angry No-Fly List

So, has anyone else found their name on the No-Fly list that the TSA publishes? This has happened to me, and no, I am not the person on the list, just have the same name. I am asking what others in this situation have done to alleviate the problem. For myself, it has mostly been extra time at check-in for them to verify my identity. Last night though, I was removed from my flight that was just about to depart, though I was able to rejoin the flight after the third degree. The worst part was having all of the other passengers look at me as a potential terrorist after I re-boarded.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kanerf
So, has anyone else found their name on the No-Fly list that the TSA publishes? This has happened to me, and no, I am not the person on the list, just have the same name. I am asking what others in this situation have done to alleviate the problem. For myself, it has mostly been extra time at check-in for them to verify my identity. Last night though, I was removed from my flight that was just about to depart, though I was able to rejoin the flight after the third degree. The worst part was having all of the other passengers look at me as a potential terrorist after I re-boarded.
There is some significant possibility that NCIS-feeder databases and fed databases connected with CAPPSII are going to flag down a lot of people. For example, as reported in the press, there are more than a couple of David Nelson's who are flagged down. Don't even begin to ask about Michael Smith.

Identity is not security. People should recognize and realize that. Then we can make progress when fear and other obstinate emotions don't cloud reason.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Angry

Originally Posted by kanerf
I few months ago, a family got a lawyer (ACLU helped, I think) to get their daughter's name removed from the list. It was posted here in FT somewhere, but I don't have the time right now to do some searching. There was a fair amount of media attention, which was a good thing. Unfortunately, the family stopped short of suing after the government agreed to let their daughter get on her flight to Paris for a college semester abroad.

I'd contact the same lawyer or the ACLU and take it from there. Maybe you could get the local media interested in making a big deal about it. Writing your congressman and senators would be a good idea. Seems like you have a pretty darn good one in AZ -- a guy named McCain.

Good luck and fight the good fight for all of us.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
That's not quite right. The daughter, a 21-year-old college student, eventually got a letter from the TSA's general counsel stating that she is not the person whose name is -- and remains -- on the list. She got that letter after being prevented from flying at least once, being hassled more than once and hiring a lawyer who sought to file suit against the TSA. She also was forced to sign a statement saying that she is not politically active, among other things! If that doesn't shock Americans, I don't know what will!!!

Last edited by bdschobel; Apr 5, 2004 at 7:09 am
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
That's not quite right. The daughter, a 21-year-old college student, eventually got a letter from the TSA's general counsel stating that she is not the person whose name is -- and remains -- on the list. She got that letter after being prevented from flying at least once, being hassled more than once and hiring a lawyer who sought to file suit against the TSA. She also was forced to sign a statement saying that she is not politically active, among other things! If that doesn't shock Americans, I don't know what will!!!
Bruce as usual I can only agree.

Names do not get removed from the list since the process of removing names from NCIS-feeder and fed databases is far from a "process"; it's more like brute force to break the bureaucratic "process". The best that happens in such cases of getting "flagged" is that a person whose name appears on the list is given a contact at the FBI who can be called or queried to confirm that there is a confusion and said traveller is not the person on the no-fly list. Other than that, there is only so much you can do (like legally rename yourself with a more unique name).

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 5, 2004 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 6, 2004, 2:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Class Action by ACLA Against No Fly List

There is a news item that the ACLU filed a class action suit against the No Fly List.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 4:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ACLU files class action suit over no fly list

ACLU files class action lawsuit over TSA "No FLy" list
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:41 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Gain support for dumping all incumbent politicians. While being incumbent seems to have an advantage of winning the election, we the people can strike fear in the incumbents in the form of threatening to send them back to private life. Then they will really do things in the last few months coming up to an election. Whereas if nobody makes threats the politicians just do business as usual.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Apr 9, 2004, 8:12 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
there is only so much you can do (like legally rename yourself with a more unique name).
This would probably be seen as deceptive (ie trying to disguise your identity) and only get you in deeper on the list. Better would be to add a middle name, like 'Higher not-a-terrorist Flyer' or Higher Talk-to-my-lawyer Flyer, or Higher TSA-are-clowns Flyer
Old Apr 9, 2004, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Angry Filthy B@stards

I think mine would be:

Spiff "<edited> " NonTerrorist

The no-fly list is a disgrace to everything this nation stands for. Those who maintain it should be deported to the nearest filthy communist country.

Last edited by Spiff; Apr 10, 2004 at 10:11 am
Old Apr 9, 2004, 8:49 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by Spiff
I think mine would be:

Spiff "Go @#$% your Mother" NonTerrorist

The no-fly list is a disgrace to everything this nation stands for. Those who maintain it should be deported to the nearest filthy communist country.
Sorry, there are no 'filthy' communists left. only 'most favored' comunists.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HigherFlyer
Sorry, there are no 'filthy' communists left. only 'most favored' comunists.
We still have N. Korea.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HigherFlyer
This would probably be seen as deceptive (ie trying to disguise your identity) and only get you in deeper on the list. Better would be to add a middle name, like 'Higher not-a-terrorist Flyer' or Higher Talk-to-my-lawyer Flyer, or Higher TSA-are-clowns Flyer
True, except it is easier for women than for men to change their last name or change its spelling and it would not be perceived as deceptive.

The middle name approach is less likely to set up a flag but it's also likely to not work as intended as often.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:04 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
If I were someone of Middle Eastern descent and/or have an Arabic sounding name and I am (or my spouse) is about to give birth to a new baby, I would definately consider naming my child with an English Christian given name and a new surname.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
We still have N. Korea.
You mean N. 'We-Have-No-Nuclear-Program' Korea!
I think Bush is enroled their 'lying dictator' mail order degree program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.