Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Tropical fish not allowed through security

I'm not sure, but this may be the prize-winner -

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03362/255283.stm
Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:27 am

I did enjoy that story; thanks!

I wonder how she will get the fish back to school?

Sylvia
Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:39 am

TSA HR practices have led to the hiring of a fair number of dullards.

I wasn't prepared, however, for the TSA to stop me right at the entrance, proclaiming that no small pets, including fish, were permitted through security.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I have to say is:

"Power to the people!" Good on you, Lara and Trey!

... and, "Up yours, Ridge!"
Old Jan 2, 2004, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fcrit:

</font>

What the HELL is the security risk of a tropcial fish?!
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
This story perfectly describes how out of whack TSA security can become. Many of us have experienced the same kind of non-sense some times in our travels.

Does stuff like this make you feel safer?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:16 am

Maybe the TSA screener thought it was a swordfish.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whirledtraveler:

What the HELL is the security risk of a tropcial fish?!
</font>
[This message has been edited by HugeAss (edited Jan 02, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by HugeAss (edited Jan 02, 2004).]
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:19 am

The passenger should have told the TSA "professional" that the fish was her lunch.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
This story perfectly describes how out of whack TSA security can become. Many of us have experienced the same kind of non-sense some times in our travels.

Does stuff like this make you feel safer?
</font>
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:40 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Another person who was abducted from working fries to come work for the TSA. How do they get their jobs done without the timers???
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:54 am

Lara Hayhurst will be promptly arrested for interfering with the screening process upon her return to New York.

Only kidding.

From the TSA.gov Web Site:

Special Considerations - Pets

Security procedures do not prohibit you from bringing a pet on your flight. You should contact your airline or travel agent, however, before arriving at the airport to determine your airline's policy on traveling with pets.

Security Screening

If you are planning to bring an animal on-board the plane with you, you will need to present the animal to the security checkpoint screeners for screening. You may walk your animal through the metal detector with you. If this is not possible, your animal will have to undergo a secondary screening, including a visual and physical inspection.

Your animal will NEVER be placed through an X-ray machine. However, you may be asked to remove your animal from its carrier so that the carrier can be placed on the X-Ray machine.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSAMGR:
You may walk your animal through the metal detector with you. If this is not possible, your animal will have to undergo a secondary screening, including a visual and physical inspection.</font>
Can you say "swab the fish"? I knew you could...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Your animal will NEVER be placed through an X-ray machine. However, you may be asked to remove your animal from its carrier so that the carrier can be placed on the X-Ray machine.</font>
"Please take a sip from the baggie to prove to us that this is water."

Think of the fun to be had if the fish just happened to be named "Nemo"
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:48 pm

Leave your tropical fish home, but bring along your:

Manatee:
&lt;http://www.planetsave.com/ViewStory.asp?ID=4161&gt;

Service Animal:
&lt;http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1056.xml&gt;

/A brain is a hindrance to working as a TSA screener

Old Jan 2, 2004, 1:41 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fcrit:

</font>
Uh, I assume the screeners here will confirm that there's no TSA policy barring tropical fish from flights. How can it be any different from a dog? Or a manatee (see previous post).

This is a classic example of a supervisor that should be publically fired, humiliated by name in several newspapers, and barred from government-related work for life. In a way, it's too bad she didn't kill the fish--because then she might be able to sue the guy for emotional distress. I hate frivolous lawsuits, but if I were on the jury, I'd find in the student's favor.

Setting a few examples like that would be a great deterrent to this sort of stupidity.

And TSA needs an effective escalation policy that goes beyond the local supervisors for dealing with screeners that try to bar non-prohibited items carried by pax.

Old Jan 2, 2004, 2:39 pm

You are even allowed to bring companion animals on flights. Just a few months ago I saw an article about a man who was allowed to bring a small horse aboard an aircraft -- in first class!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by studentff:
Uh, I assume the screeners here will confirm that there's no TSA policy barring tropical fish from flights. How can it be any different from a dog? Or a manatee (see previous post).</font>
Old Jan 2, 2004, 3:59 pm

Good story and I'm glad her fish survived the ordeal. That supervisor should be investigated for incompetance and fired. There is no such rule, we've had hermit crabs come through before although haven't seen a fish yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.