Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Electronic Equipment Must Be Removed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

All Electronic Equipment Must Be Removed?

I know that at the beginning of last month there was a "concern" that terrorists may try to disguises explosives as everyday electronic devices. Supposedly then (according to a couple of e-mail newsletters that I have received, including one as recently as today), the Department of Homeland Security decreed that all electronic equipment must be removed from bags and laid flat in checkpoint security bins for X-ray inspection. The list includes mobile phones, PDAs, MP3 players and digital cameras.

I searched this forum and the TSA site, but didn't find anything about this. I haven't seen it in action at the airports I have been to. Is this really the case?

And, btw, why does the TSA say that corkscrews are permitted in carry-ons while large signs at DEN state that they are a prohibited item? Perhaps that is another topic.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The signs were printed when the corkscrews were forbidden (Idiot Norm Mineta is to thank for that one) and became outdated when Jackass Loy relented and permitted corkscrews again. But don't expect any new signs.

I've had mixed experience with electronics (I carry a lot of electronic junk). Some airports are more excited about non-terrorists carrying electronics than others.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and the welcome.

It would seem that it wouldn't be too difficult to black-out "corkscrews" on the prohibited list signs, but that is too easy and consistent. I'm still amused that I can bring a corkscrew on board, but not my little pocket knife.

The "all electronic equipment out" rule is one that I would think would be posted to the TSA site. Oh well.

I also "like" the glass enclosures at DEN that people have to stand in and wait for their secondary screening. From up above it looks like a calf in the chute waiting for the gate to open in the calf-roping contest. How demeaning.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 6:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ND Sol:
I also "like" the glass enclosures at DEN that people have to stand in and wait for their secondary screening. From up above it looks like a calf in the chute waiting for the gate to open in the calf-roping contest. How demeaning.</font>
Beats having some moron bypass a flimsy stanchion barricade and then trigger a mass re-screening.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 11:23 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ND Sol:
The list includes mobile phones, PDAs, MP3 players and digital cameras.

I searched this forum and the TSA site, but didn't find anything about this. I haven't seen it in action at the airports I have been to. Is this really the case?
</font>
In my personal (and therefore limited) experience, I have not seen this. I carry a lot of electronics (laptop. three batteries, charger, cd-drive, floppy, walkman, digital camera w/ spare battery and charger, cell phone with charger, slr camera with 3 lenses, clock, flashlight, GPS, and probably more that I am forgetting). I have just taken my laptop out and never been hassled about the rest.

However, they have taken to EDT-swabbing the laptop nearly all the time. This morning at LAX, the guy mumbled something about "secondary," and I had to ask if he was going to secondary me or the laptop. Turns out it was just the laptop. Better it than me.

Old Sep 5, 2003, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
My laptop was swabbed quite a lot during my last US/Canada trip but that was the only electrical thing that was interesting to them.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:35 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CATSA Screener:
Beats having some moron bypass a flimsy stanchion barricade and then trigger a mass re-screening.</font>
I would have to respectfully disagree. I think that there are other alternatives to cattle-like treatment that is many times imposed.

Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:17 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Corkscrews are allowed, as long as they don't have the knife cutter on them. Nail clippers are allowed, as long as they don't have the file attached to them.

The other stuff that is or is not allowed can be quit rediculous!

Electronic Devices...well, it changes daily, so just keep checking the TSA site.

Sluggo

------------------
Gordon 'Sluggo' Valentine
AA Furloughed Flight Attendant
Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sluggoaafa:
Nail clippers are allowed, as long as they don't have the file attached to them.

</font>
Correct about the corkscrews, but WRONG about the nail files. Nail files (attached to nail clippers or by themselves) were put on the permitted item list at the same time as corkscrews, last year.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 1:58 pm

Nail Clippers are allowed, unless they have a knife built in (Go to any knife store and you'll see what they look like). We've had people call the knife on the clippers nail files many times.

Everything should be allowed on, other then:
1) Guns and Ammunation (Other then checked)
2) Knives of a certain lenght (other then checked)
3) Bio Hazard matieral (neither carryon or checked)
4) Long objects that could be used as a weapon (Bats, Hockey sticks, Pool Cues...) But canes should be allowed.
5) Objects that about as large as a big knife that come to a sharp tip.

I know there are a few other but cant think of them right now.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
This list seems very reasonable. I agree that small knives should be allowed, once again. It is too inconvenient to not be allowed to carry a small utility/pocket knife.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 9:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by screenerx:

3) Bio Hazard matieral (neither carryon or checked)
</font>
Yeah, this is the part that would allow us to do something about our proverbial human-head packed in luggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.