Wiki Posts
Search

Pillow in a vacuum bag

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Pillow in a vacuum bag

Will my very compressed pillow make it through the scanner, or will it they take it out? If they do, there's no way it will go back in my roller bag.
Old May 17, 2024, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Is it a regular pillow that you sucked the air out?

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
Will my very compressed pillow make it through the scanner, or will it they take it out? If they do, there's no way it will go back in my roller bag.
I cant imagine they would have a problem with it. But Im trying to imagine what it is
Old May 20, 2024, 8:02 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
It's possible that by vacuum packing the pillow it changes how it looks on xray and they will want to examine it more closely. Doubtful but possible. If there is no way it's going back in your carryon after being removed from the vacuum bag, what is your plan if they do? Don't count on anything staying in any compressed format.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:32 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
It's possible that by vacuum packing the pillow it changes how it looks on xray and they will want to examine it more closely. Doubtful but possible. If there is no way it's going back in your carryon after being removed from the vacuum bag, what is your plan if they do? Don't count on anything staying in any compressed format.
if they do want to examine it further, politely explain you will not be able to compress it down again and request they conduct and ETD (ie. swab) it instead of unpacking it.

But if it does get uncompressed, I expect airline crew will not provide too much objection to a pillow being a 2nd carryon...
Old May 24, 2024, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did it in checked baggage long, long ago. No problem.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.