Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

USCBP Experiences for ITI (international-to-international) Itineraries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2023, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hahaha

I wanted to collect stories and experiences for anyone who's done this and had a not-remarkable experience, just out of sheer curiosity.

For those who don't know, to transit ITI in the United States, you need to be allowed entry, either via ESTA, B1/B2 waiver or other visa/visa-free eligibility, or hold a transit visa, and you demonstrate this when checking in at your point of origin and you're examined again by USCBP at primary inspection.

I'm interested in what kind of questioning a traveller can get when they're transiting. Hopefully it's obvious to the primary CBPO on their computer that I'm a transit pax, and hopefully this info is conveyed in the new Global Entry 2.0 tablet computers as well because I intend to enter via GE.

I'm also more interested in the customs enforcement side of things for my goods. I've never entered the United States via the traditional airport border (only Preclearance), so I've heard about this "conveyor belt where you put your bags on so that they will be re-checked". How does it work? Do I get my full baggage ticket (TPE-LAX-YVR) in Taipei, but USCBP intercepts the bag at LAX and I just have to place it on a general conveyor belt where the bag will be appropriately redirected? Or do I only get a TPE-LAX (edit:typo) baggage tag and I physically have to find an airline representative/contractor before leaving the secure area to check my bags onwards to YVR? Or, worse, do I pay $8 for those luggage carts, wheel them to my airline's check-in desk in Terminal 6, and do the deed there??

I also just like hearing others' experiences overall about ITI transit, particularly in Canada, so I wanted to start this thread to see how others may have experienced the US side of things!

Last edited by asovse1; Mar 14, 2023 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by asovse1
I'm also more interested in the customs enforcement side of things for my goods. I've never entered the United States via the traditional airport border (only Preclearance), so I've heard about this "conveyor belt where you put your bags on so that they will be re-checked". How does it work? Do I get my full baggage ticket (TPE-LAX-YVR) in Taipei, but USCBP intercepts the bag at LAX and I just have to place it on a general conveyor belt where the bag will be appropriately redirected? Or do I only get a TPE-YVR baggage tag and I physically have to find an airline representative/contractor before leaving the secure area to check my bags onwards to YVR? Or, worse, do I pay $8 for those luggage carts, wheel them to my airline's check-in desk in Terminal 6, and do the deed there??
As far as I know, ITI is available for checked luggage only and only at a few airports, DFW, MIA and ?, but not at LAX.

Once you clear passport control via the GE kiosk, you will have to collect your bags in on the conveyer bag the customs hall, even if they are tagged to your final destination, which they should be, possibly have them inspected and then drop them off at the recheck desks at the exit from the Federal Inspection Services Facility at TBIT (turn to the right at the exit, turning left will lead you to the curb).
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hahaha
Thank you.

Will this special drop-off desk at TBIT be able to issue me an onward boarding pass?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by asovse1
Thank you.

Will this special drop-off desk at TBIT be able to issue me an onward boarding pass?
The baggage drop off desk will not give boarding passes but typically very close to the bag drop is/are airline customer service desks which can/will give the next boarding pass if you do not already have it. If your airline does not have a customer service desk at that point then you will have to find your airlines main check-in desk.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The questioning from CBP would be the same as if you are seeking entry into US because there is nothing (no passport control) stopping you from just exiting the airport once you are airside for the international flight departing US.
SPN Lifer and squeakr like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The US does not have transit visas, so as Seawolf says, you will treated the same as if you're entering for a day/week/month/whatever.
squeakr likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
The US does not have transit visas, so as Seawolf says, you will treated the same as if you're entering for a day/week/month/whatever.
The US does have transit visas (Category C) but does not have air-side transit areas.
seawolf and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.