FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USCBP Experiences for ITI (international-to-international) Itineraries
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:38 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by asovse1
I'm also more interested in the customs enforcement side of things for my goods. I've never entered the United States via the traditional airport border (only Preclearance), so I've heard about this "conveyor belt where you put your bags on so that they will be re-checked". How does it work? Do I get my full baggage ticket (TPE-LAX-YVR) in Taipei, but USCBP intercepts the bag at LAX and I just have to place it on a general conveyor belt where the bag will be appropriately redirected? Or do I only get a TPE-YVR baggage tag and I physically have to find an airline representative/contractor before leaving the secure area to check my bags onwards to YVR? Or, worse, do I pay $8 for those luggage carts, wheel them to my airline's check-in desk in Terminal 6, and do the deed there??
As far as I know, ITI is available for checked luggage only and only at a few airports, DFW, MIA and ?, but not at LAX.

Once you clear passport control via the GE kiosk, you will have to collect your bags in on the conveyer bag the customs hall, even if they are tagged to your final destination, which they should be, possibly have them inspected and then drop them off at the recheck desks at the exit from the Federal Inspection Services Facility at TBIT (turn to the right at the exit, turning left will lead you to the curb).