Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Getting past airport security with an arriving ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Scenario: We just landed at JFK and have some hours to kill before heading to the airport hotel. Can my wife grab a seat at this lounge (airside) while I go get our luggage from the baggage carousel, and then come back through security to join her? The luggage has no off-limit fluids or any other prohibited items. In short, can I go through airport security with an arriving boarding pass instead of a departing boarding pass? I have TSA Precheck, but I presume that makes no difference.

Thanks,
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by medelste
Scenario: We just landed at JFK and have some hours to kill before heading to the airport hotel. Can my wife grab a seat at this lounge (airside) while I go get our luggage from the baggage carousel, and then come back through security to join her? The luggage has no off-limit fluids or any other prohibited items. In short, can I go through airport security with an arriving boarding pass instead of a departing boarding pass? I have TSA Precheck, but I presume that makes no difference.

Thanks,
I remembered I could Tweet at TSA and got this answer, in case it's helpful for anyone else:

"Great question. As long as your boarding pass is valid for the date of travel, you may enter and exit the terminal as needed. You'll be re-screened upon re-entry. -Dawn"
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME (at MSP), yes, but you won't have PreCheck honored even if it's printed on your boarding pass.

Outside of the USA, I would assume no.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by medelste
while I go get our luggage from the baggage carousel,
What are you going to do with the luggage? I've had this exact idea but didn't think I could drag big checked bags back through security.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by mtofell
What are you going to do with the luggage? I've had this exact idea but didn't think I could drag big checked bags back through security.
I did this exact thing. At SEA, the lines for checking luggage was incredibly long. I would miss my flight. I went to security with my huge piece of luggage. They never said a word. After I was through security I did ask a TSA guy about large luggage. They said they don't police luggage size, that responsibility of gate agents.
mtofell and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME TSA does police luggage size at some airports, while other airports don't care as long as the luggage fits through the machine. I've seen some machines with an added device to prevent bags that are larger than carryon size from going through them. There also could be issues in places with the new multi-station automated bin system as everything must be placed in a bin rather than just put onto the belt; the bins are pretty small.
TGarza likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME TSA does police luggage size at some airports, while other airports don't care as long as the luggage fits through the machine. I've seen some machines with an added device to prevent bags that are larger than carryon size from going through them.
LOL.... this is what I was mainly thinking. It really brings thing to a stop when TSA has to get the, "luggage plunger" to clear the scanning machine.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would assume this may be airport specific. Some years ago at Miami I was allowed to go through Security at night for an early morning next day flight but a TSA Supervisor had to approve it. Might be the same kind of situation.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Can I get into terminal 8 at jfk to access a lounge/diner for priority pass but will be flying out of a different terminal?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Can I get into terminal 8 at jfk to access a lounge/diner for priority pass but will be flying out of a different terminal?

Hi,

If you have a same day boarding pass then yes you can. You will have to go through security twice ( once at T8 and once at the departing terminal). You will also need to allow enough time to transfer between terimnals.

Regards

TBS
tfizzle likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can see there is a lounge specific component to the above, and many thanks for all the good replies above. I'm going to move the thread to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum where hopefully we will pick up some further useful points.

CWS/mod
Old Sep 5, 2021, 1:25 pm

So, it seems the one of the takeaways here is that there is no direct link between TSA and the airlines with regards to an individual BP on a given day (they just want to be sure you have one so there aren't non-fliers mulling around).

A handful of times over the years I've walked up to pre-check and the TSA agent has waved off my BP and just looked at my ID so I guess it makes sense.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by mtofell
So, it seems the one of the takeaways here is that there is no direct link between TSA and the airlines with regards to an individual BP on a given day (they just want to be sure you have one so there aren't non-fliers mulling around).

A handful of times over the years I've walked up to pre-check and the TSA agent has waved off my BP and just looked at my ID so I guess it makes sense.
I've seen variety at TSA about whether a BP is needed, or just ID. An agent told me: some of their scanning equipment can recognize your flight info from just your ID, and other (older) equipment cannot. Thus sometimes you need to present both ID and BP.
mtofell likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by akdancer
I've seen variety at TSA about whether a BP is needed, or just ID. An agent told me: some of their scanning equipment can recognize your flight info from just your ID, and other (older) equipment cannot. Thus sometimes you need to present both ID and BP.
We have a thread on that topic:
mtofell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.