Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by garykung
I would really want to see that law as I can't find it.

U.S. law makes this very clear that you will face fine for not using U.S. Passport, but did not mention if that is a criminal offense or not.
This legal requirement has been discussed in several other threads, in particular by me when relating what I have been told directly multiple times by both Mexican and US immigration officials in regard to my dual citizen children. The law 8 USC § 1185(b) (Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, § 215(b)), “Travel Control of Aliens and Citizens” is still on the books. Violation of this law was originally a felony punishable by a fine of up to $5,000 or up to 4 years in prison. But as GUWonder, who seems to have some standing (i.e., authentic USG work-related knowledge) in knowing about such topics, has indicated many times, this legal requirement is simply not enforced by USG.

This is because the section that provides the penalty was struck from the law in 1979. A law without penalty is, um, basically moot.

Violation might result in immigration inspectors causing you much inconvenience to your travel plans (significant delay) which in turn results in additional travel costs, but there is no legal penalty imposed by the gubmint for violating this particular law.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MB24
I had this issue explained to me once by a US CBP agent when entering the US with my Canadian passport, even though I am also a US citizen (US passport had expired). He said that the reason they insist on you entering with a US passport is that CBP would technically be breaking the law by stamping your (foreign) passport with a limited duration of stay in the US because you can't limit the stay of an American in the US. A bit of a technicality, but made sense.
CBP stamping a US citizen’s passport or non-US passport — with or without an indicated maximum number of days via a stamp — doesn’t legally limit the stay of a US citizen in the US. [Even with an indicated maximum number of days as may apply to someone who is not a US citizen but happens to be visiting the US.] It may come with or result in some complications in some practical sense that arises from being confused over the person’s legal status in the US, but upon being presented evidence of US citizenship and identity, most of those problems with US CBP and the rest of the US federal government should not be applicable.

I can’t say the same goes for the Canadian side when it comes to Canadians using a non-Canadian passport, but I’m far removed from being as familiar with Canadian laws and regulations as I have been with US ones in this regard.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 24, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
CBP stamping a US citizen’s passport or non-US passport — with or without an indicated maximum number of days via a stamp — doesn’t legally limit the stay of a US citizen in the US. [Even with an indicated maximum number of days as may apply to someone who is not a US citizen but happens to be visiting the US.] It may come with or result in some complications in some practical sense that arises from being confused over the person’s legal status in the US, but upon being presented evidence of US citizenship and identity, most of those problems with US CBP and the rest of the US federal government should not be applicable.

I can’t say the same goes for the Canadian side when it comes to Canadians using a non-Canadian passport, but I’m far removed from being as familiar with Canadian laws and regulations as I have been with US ones in this regard.
I remember one case where I left and arrived back in HKSAR without my Permanent Resident HKID (being temporarily misplaced), HK Immigration stamped my Australian passport as if visitor and I had take my HKID and Australian passport back to Immigration Department to update their records after I found my misplaced HKID.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by bobbytables
Why show your Canadian passport here instead of Croatian? You can still use the All Passports line regardless.
Just a natural instinct... I'm not a superstitious traveller but outside of the EU I always use my Canadian passport. If the EU line at ZRH is short I use my Croatian passport, but that's usually not the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.