Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada

Old Feb 22, 20, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards

An interesting quote on CTV News highlights a problem for a 96 year old dual Canadian-British Citizen denied boarding in Jamaica when returning to Canada from a funeral. This relatively new rule, while common for Americans returning to the U.S. is likely little known in Canada outside frequent travellers such as here.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canadian-...sted-1.4822598

What is interesting here is that this was not flagged by AC as a potential problem. I frequently travel FROM Canada on another passport and this is what AC records on registration. However, upon check-in for my return flight home to Canada I use my Canadian passport.

Does anyone know if when booking an international flight direct with AC if there is now any provision for separate passports to be registered for outbound and inbound flights? If this were to be in force then the captioned traveller's problem would have been flagged.

Normally there would be limited sympathy for someone who failed to ensure they possessed correct documentation for all segments of a journey but since this was in effect a bereavement type journey by a 96 year old to attend a funeral overseas perhaps some discreet flexibility could have been shown.

POSTSCRIPT: I just realised that I neglected to question how the gate agent at KIN or MBJ knew the traveller was also a Canadian Citizen. He may have accidentally revealed too much to the gate agent!

Last edited by TemboOne; Feb 22, 20 at 12:46 pm
Old Feb 22, 20, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by TemboOne View Post
An interesting quote on CTV News highlights a problem for a 96 year old dual Canadian-British Citizen denied boarding in Jamaica when returning to Canada from a funeral. This relatively new rule, while common for Americans returning to the U.S. is likely little known in Canada outside frequent travellers such as here.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canadian-...sted-1.4822598

What is interesting here is that this was not flagged by AC as a potential problem. I frequently travel FROM Canada on another passport and this is what AC records on registration. However, upon check-in for my return flight home to Canada I use my Canadian passport.

Does anyone know if when booking an international flight direct with AC if there is now any provision for separate passports to be registered for outbound and inbound flights? If this were to be in force then the captioned traveller's problem would have been flagged.

Normally there would be limited sympathy for someone who failed to ensure they possessed correct documentation for all segments of a journey but since this was in effect a bereavement type journey by a 96 year old to attend a funeral overseas perhaps some discreet flexibility could have been shown.
This is contract staff though, no?

I mean, absolutely they should have shown compassion but I cannot imagine any gate agent would override a foreign government rule for anyone. Not without looking for a new job the following day
Old Feb 22, 20, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, Wyndham dimond, Amex Plat Cnd & USA, Canadian army vet, Yoga teacher.
You need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or VISA or be a Canadian citizen to board a flight to Canada.

If your passport does not have an eTA linked to it then they ask you questions and you may still have time to buy one at the airport.
Old Feb 22, 20, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite
I have dual Canadian/Irish passports and when flying to Europe always use my Canadian passport in the APIs as I'm not sure it can be changed and my US visa is in my Canadian passport. When I arrive in the UK/Europe, I just use my Irish passport with the E-Gates (even though it wasn't pre-registered) and have never had an issue.

Not sure if I'm doing it correctly though.
Old Feb 22, 20, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller View Post
I have dual Canadian/Irish passports and when flying to Europe always use my Canadian passport in the APIs as I'm not sure it can be changed and my US visa is in my Canadian passport. When I arrive in the UK/Europe, I just use my Irish passport with the E-Gates (even though it wasn't pre-registered) and have never had an issue.
Not sure if I'm doing it correctly though.
Well that's interesting as one of our other passports is Irish too (born in Dublin!).
We always use our Irish Passports in the API because they permit easier and sometimes longer visa-free access to some countries.

We've never tried to use the E-Gates but from what we've read it seems that pre-registration is not essential. Schengen might be a little more picky though!

Still wish AC had provisions for travellers to use two different passports in the API for outbound and inbound flights.

This would have caught the problem for the captioned traveller as it would have highlighted the need for an ETA on the British Passport to return to Canada using this travel document, and the fact that as a Canadian Citizen he cannot obtain a Canadian ETA!
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite
The only time I thought I might have a problem was doing exit immigration at FCO where I had entered the EU on my Irish, but at AC check-in had shown my Canadian passport which the agent then put the little sticker on. At exit immigration the officer flipped my passport over to look for the sticker (which wasn't there) but I had my Canadian passport also in hand and showed it to him and he nodded and waived me through.

As the laws (like in Canada) change that require you to enter your native countries on your native passports, the systems need to be upgraded to accommodate that. Interestingly my NEXUS profile has both on record and linked, occasionally at the US border I'm asked if I still hold my Irish passport, which I think is more about ensuring my information is up to date as they don't seem to care I have both.

Last edited by recreationaltimetraveller; Feb 22, 20 at 2:01 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:32 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by LesDorgo View Post

If your passport does not have an eTA linked to it then they ask you questions and you may still have time to buy one at the airport.
Canadian citizens are not eligible to get an eTA. Therefore you need your Canadian passport.
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:36 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TemboOne View Post
Still wish AC had provisions for travellers to use two different passports in the API for outbound and inbound flights.

This would have caught the problem for the captioned traveller as it would have highlighted the need for an ETA on the British Passport to return to Canada using this travel document, and the fact that as a Canadian Citizen he cannot obtain a Canadian ETA!
As part of the Amadeus migration, AC has disabled the ability to add API information to a PNR prior to checkin, unless you book with a travel agency in the GDS and they send the necessary SSRs.

It is certainly possible to segment associate API in the PNR, but Iíve not seen any airlines natively advertise support for that, and itís really not even necessary.
bawm and Adam Smith like this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway, nothing new here.
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Feb 22, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
You have to use the Canadian passport to get out and get into Canada. Even though API is required you can use another passport to enter another country.
However, when exiting that particular country at airline check in, if returning to Canada then you have to use the Canadian passport. But at immigration at departure of that country, you use the same passport you used to enter that particular country. It's not an issue for dual passport holders.
Old Feb 22, 20, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by LesDorgo View Post
You need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or VISA or be a Canadian citizen to board a flight to Canada.
When you say "you", you mean "a person"? Or a particular group of people? US people don't need ETA for Canada.
Old Feb 22, 20, 4:34 pm

Programs: Sardine Class
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
When you say "you", you mean "a person"? Or a particular group of people? US people don't need ETA for Canada.
As far as I am aware of, the U.S is the only passport exempt from the ETA in the world, with British Passports needing the ETA. However, the rules might have changed from last time I checked, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old Feb 22, 20, 4:47 pm

Guess it wasn't full-fare business class.
Old Feb 22, 20, 5:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Just n=1, but I have provided AC with my Canadian passport, saw the line for non-EU (at the time) passports in Frankfurt and then moved over to an EU line with my UK passport. No issue. This was about 18 months ago. Obviously couldn't do this exact thing again...
Old Feb 22, 20, 5:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K/*S
Dual-citizenship (Canadian Croatian). Here’s an example:

ZAG-ZRH-YYZ-VIE-ZAG

ZAG exit: Croatian passport
ZRH entry: Canadian, because coming off OU in ZRH, almost everyone is Croatian and goes to the EU line. For some reason, they can’t figure out that they can also go to the “All Passports” line, but I’m not complaining...
ZRH exit: Canadian
YYZ entry: Canadian
YYZ exit: Croatian
ZAG entry: Croatian

I’ve never purchased an eTA before. I’m pretty sure I’ve used my Croatian passport on a flight to YYZ, but not certain.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: