Doha layover - Transgender

Old May 1, 19, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Doha layover - Transgender

Hi all! I want to use AA miles to book JNB to BOS via DOH. I would have an 8 hour layover in DOH. I am a post op trans woman. My passport shows my correct gender as F. I am fairly passable, but sometimes get clocked. Will it be safe? I will not leave the airport. Any other trans travelers with experience transiting through Doha?
Old May 1, 19, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
There is a relatively recent thread on this topic in the GLBT Travelers forum:
Is safe for a transgender person travel through DOH
Old May 1, 19, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I did actually look through that thread first, but didnt't find any actual anecdotal evidence on experiences. My situation is also slightly different as my passport gender has been updated. Anyway I was hoping to get some new thoughts and experiences from people.
Old May 2, 19, 3:24 pm

Why are you going so far out of your way? I doubt if you would have problems in Qatar but it is thousands of miles of extra travel.
Old May 2, 19, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting; SSSS = haraSSSSment
Originally Posted by catocony View Post
Why are you going so far out of your way? I doubt if you would have problems in Qatar but it is thousands of miles of extra travel.
AA charges the same number of miles for Africa-US travels via DOH as it would for travel to the US via Europe, and yet going via DOH avoids the AA fees when redeeming miles for BA flights?

Using AA miles, there is Iberia, British Airways, Etihad, and Qatar Airways.
Old May 2, 19, 4:22 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
We flew via DXB to get to JNB. You take what you can get when you use miles.
Old May 3, 19, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I'm transgender but never been via DOH, so can't help directly, but I have been to places I really shouldn't have gone to (Zimbabwe during the Mugabe regime, as a British citizen being the stupidest).

Having all your documents in order and having SRS, I personally would accept the transit. You have two issues of concern: anomalies in the groin area on body scanners (won't affect you) or any kind of extenuating circumstances, such as you having a heart attack and requiring hospitalization while transiting DOH, which would be significantly less pleasant. I did read somewhere (although can't find it) that Qatar only enforces these policies against Muslims, so if you aren't Muslim, there's a good chance you're exempt.

I'm becoming more and more risk averse as I get older, and as I'm non-operative I probably would avoid DOH myself. But as an anecodate, I've found that the more hostile a place is to trans people, the less likely they are to know we exist.

If you are travelling through areas that are less than welcoming, you may wish to purchase something like MedJet Assist, which advertises private evacuation in a medical emergency 'regardless of medical necessity'. Then if you do end up hospitalised, you can get out as quickly as possible.