Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Is safe for a transgender person travel through DOH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Hey all.I’m a fully transitioned transgender gender person.however my passport gender mark does not match my presentation gender due too the complicity of changed gender mark on my passport.

i live in the US and my destination is Thailand, I use to fly with Asian carrier. But I’m really fond of Qatar airline
and want checke out the new DOH airport.

I know the Middeast is a bad soil for LGBT, but will a transit in DOH will be a issue.I won’t leave the airport.Just a flight connection.any potential problem ?

Last edited by Transitgirl; Dec 25, 2017 at 12:58 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Maybe try wearing gender neutral clothing?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
And the same question again and again when there are plenty of options where you would not need to worry in the slightest..."Why risk it?"
adampenrith likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
A burkah perhaps
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA
I think the whole issue will turn on the following issue

"Will you have to go through Body Screening". Body screeners do provide the opportunity for a screener, if paying attention to determine sex. This is most definitely a problem in Dubai. I cannot find any examples of Transpersons being detained or hassled in the airport in Doha, but just know that Qatar is VERY unhospitable to Transpersons, with numerous cases of bans on films that simply present Transpersons in a non-negative light.

If you're just flying through Doha airport, I'd ask what the transit situation entails. You could even call the airline and say "I'll be bringing duty free perfume (I wouldn't say alcohol - although its legal there) and need to know if transit pax have to go through a screening checkpoint". That way you can get an idea of the process. If you have to go through a body scanner, I'd choose another airline. I'd do so anyway - but that's a personal choice. Or...and this is a LOT to ask, but its a personal choice....you may chose to simply dress consistent with the gender marker in your passport. That might cause even more issues though.

Regarding actually going into Doha....I'd advise against it. I'm sure people have done it and lived to tell the tale, but there's a non-zero chance that things will go sideways, and if they do, you'd be in a tough situation.

As far as Europe to Thailand flights go, you can fly direct (Thai is a wonderful airline and especially nice in coach relative to other carriers)...or you can fly through Istanbul. Turkey sucks to be sure nowadays, but I can confirm that if you're just passing through on Turkish Airlines....no need for additional screening. That was valid as of September. If you're coming from the USA, its quicker (but oddly enough - not cheaper) to fly via Asia. I've seen reports of problems in only a few airports there. One was Hong Kong of all places (but that involved a Colombian national with immigration issues).

I'm cis, so I don't know the particulars of what your comfort level is, but I'd advise any Trans person seeking to travel through Doha to seriously reconsider doing so at this time.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Done transit in DOH several times Typically, you get off your flight and have to go through security screening to get to your connecting flight. I've never been through a body scanner there, only a metal detector. Usually the screening is packed and the checks rather perfunctory.

I've also landed at DOH and not had to do any security screening at all. From the Qatari forum, this seems connected to where you've arrived from and when you've arrived, but it can be random.

Your boarding pass and passport will be checked, in my experience, separate from the security check (which occurs just after arrival) but at the gate, before departure. They will look at your passport and pass before letting you in the gate area. If you think this would cause an issue, than transiting DOH would not be a good idea.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
And the same question again and again when there are plenty of options where you would not need to worry in the slightest..."Why risk it?"

Because of cheap fare
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
A burkah perhaps
Lmao
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for replying

I come from the U.S and I already had my GRS surgery. I don't have that part to worry anymore

however, my passport gender is still male. Will that be a problem?

I rebooked this trip with an Asian carriers

but I'm going to Nepal in Oct later , Should i avoiding Doha transit ?

QUOTE=TominLazybrook;29254040]I think the whole issue will turn on the following issue

"Will you have to go through Body Screening". Body screeners do provide the opportunity for a screener, if paying attention to determine sex. This is most definitely a problem in Dubai. I cannot find any examples of Transpersons being detained or hassled in the airport in Doha, but just know that Qatar is VERY unhospitable to Transpersons, with numerous cases of bans on films that simply present Transpersons in a non-negative light.

If you're just flying through Doha airport, I'd ask what the transit situation entails. You could even call the airline and say "I'll be bringing duty free perfume (I wouldn't say alcohol - although its legal there) and need to know if transit pax have to go through a screening checkpoint". That way you can get an idea of the process. If you have to go through a body scanner, I'd choose another airline. I'd do so anyway - but that's a personal choice. Or...and this is a LOT to ask, but its a personal choice....you may chose to simply dress consistent with the gender marker in your passport. That might cause even more issues though.

Regarding actually going into Doha....I'd advise against it. I'm sure people have done it and lived to tell the tale, but there's a non-zero chance that things will go sideways, and if they do, you'd be in a tough situation.

As far as Europe to Thailand flights go, you can fly direct (Thai is a wonderful airline and especially nice in coach relative to other carriers)...or you can fly through Istanbul. Turkey sucks to be sure nowadays, but I can confirm that if you're just passing through on Turkish Airlines....no need for additional screening. That was valid as of September. If you're coming from the USA, its quicker (but oddly enough - not cheaper) to fly via Asia. I've seen reports of problems in only a few airports there. One was Hong Kong of all places (but that involved a Colombian national with immigration issues).

I'm cis, so I don't know the particulars of what your comfort level is, but I'd advise any Trans person seeking to travel through Doha to seriously reconsider doing so at this time.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Hello. There thanks

I'm going to Nepal in Oct. From the US to Nepal seems the Middle Eastern places to make a stop-over

I've transit in ICN and BKK before and they all check the passport and boarding pass before the departure. But never be questioned

Do you think at DOH will cause some problem .....

QUOTE=dcmike;29271068]Done transit in DOH several times Typically, you get off your flight and have to go through security screening to get to your connecting flight. I've never been through a body scanner there, only a metal detector. Usually the screening is packed and the checks rather perfunctory.

I've also landed at DOH and not had to do any security screening at all. From the Qatari forum, this seems connected to where you've arrived from and when you've arrived, but it can be random.

Your boarding pass and passport will be checked, in my experience, separate from the security check (which occurs just after arrival) but at the gate, before departure. They will look at your passport and pass before letting you in the gate area. If you think this would cause an issue, than transiting DOH would not be a good idea.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcmike
Done transit in DOH several times Typically, you get off your flight and have to go through security screening to get to your connecting flight. I've never been through a body scanner there, only a metal detector. Usually the screening is packed and the checks rather perfunctory.

Your boarding pass and passport will be checked, in my experience, separate from the security check (which occurs just after arrival) but at the gate, before departure. They will look at your passport and pass before letting you in the gate area. If you think this would cause an issue, than transiting DOH would not be a good idea.

Hello. There thanks

I'm going to Nepal in Oct. From the US to Nepal seems the Middle Eastern places to make a stop-over

I've transit in ICN and BKK before and they all check the passport and boarding pass before the departure. But never be questioned

Do you think of DOH will cause some problem .....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Please help me !!!!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Transitgirl
Please help me !!!!
As none of us would be the agent you’re interacting with at DOH what more help do you need from us? People can give anecdotes about transiting but it all comes down to the staff you’re interacting with. As I, and others have stayed, why transit where there could be trouble when there are options that aren’t an issue (i.e. Asia)?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto

As none of us would be the agent you’re interacting with at DOH what more help do you need from us? People can give anecdotes about transiting but it all comes down to the staff you’re interacting with. As I, and others have stayed, why transit where there could be trouble when there are options that aren’t an issue (i.e. Asia)?

Qatar has cheapest airface
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Transitgirl
Qatar has cheapest airface
Only you can decide if a few hundred $ is worth the potential of a small hassle to a larger issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.