Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Passport Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Lost Passport Card

So, I lost my wallet in Austria last week, and my passport card was in it. I probably dropped it somewhere in the snow and hope it will be found when everything melts. I filed a police report, and don't really need a replacement passport card. So I won't be applying for one any time soon. The question is whether I ought to report it as lost online using DS-64. My biggest worry is that I'll have to go through secondary in the US for the foreseeable future. It's also possible the wallet will be found and handed in (minus the cash, maybe), and it's of little value compared to the regular passport book. Plus, if I get it back before Mach 2021, I can continue using it (which I won't be able to do if I report it lost).

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
So, I lost my wallet in Austria last week, and my passport card was in it. I probably dropped it somewhere in the snow and hope it will be found when everything melts. I filed a police report, and don't really need a replacement passport card. So I won't be applying for one any time soon. The question is whether I ought to report it as lost online using DS-64. My biggest worry is that I'll have to go through secondary in the US for the foreseeable future. It's also possible the wallet will be found and handed in (minus the cash, maybe), and it's of little value compared to the regular passport book. Plus, if I get it back before Mach 2021, I can continue using it (which I won't be able to do if I report it lost).

Any thoughts?
My wife lost her US passport book once when we lived in the UK, reported it and got a replacement, and has never, ever been secondaried by US immigration.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I lost my passport book and card, reported it, never had a problem either.

Better report it in case someone uses it to commit a crime or something.
Mahsa likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. You are required to file the report (which can be done online without having to complete a paper DS-64). You will cause yourself a lot more trouble by not reporting than by reporting.
2. While a passport card can't be used to travel to the US from Austria, it has many other uses and is a valuable document in less savory circles. The people who would use your card are not people you want to be associated with.
3. Losing a passport (book, card, or both) won't in and of iteself get you sent to secondary. What may well get you stuck in the endless secondary loop is having an unreported passport card in your name used for some unlawful purpose by someone else.

In short, fill out the form online and be done with it.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:35 pm

Do yourself a favor and do the right thing----report it. Then you'll never have any regrets.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, ok. I guess I will.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

I applied for a replacement card today at the consulate in Frankfurt while applying for my newborn's CRBA and passport. They were nice enough to take in my application even though I didn't have an appointment for it separately. I reported it lost because, hey, you have to produce it otherwise
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I applied for a replacement card today at the consulate in Frankfurt while applying for my newborn's CRBA and passport. They were nice enough to take in my application even though I didn't have an appointment for it separately. I reported it lost because, hey, you have to produce it otherwise
Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

The appointment system for CRBA application w/child’s first US passport in practice at our embassies/consulates usually allow for the appointment attendees to apply for passports for themselves as well while doing the CRBA+passport for the child. [The application for a SSA number is — unlike with the child’s CRBA+passport application — not a requirement to get the CRBA+passport applications fulfilled.]. And the required documents of the parents used for the CRBA application are commonly accepted as sufficient as proof of parent’s citizenship and of identity when doing a new passport/passport card application after noting the application (for the parent) is consequent to a lost passport/passport card for the parent.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Oh do you work at a US mission?

I figured it would be ok to submit another application, but that they could refuse because they had no time, etc.

When I applied for my first child's documents four years ago, I was told to just walk over to the FBU and apply for the SSN, but now apparently I have to wait for the CRBA/passport and then apply.

I just hope I haven't been flagged and won't face hassles at the border...
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
When I applied for my first child's documents four years ago, I was told to just walk over to the FBU and apply for the SSN, but now apparently I have to wait for the CRBA/passport and then apply.
While OT, I believe it has more to do with SSA than the State Department.

When I did this a few months ago, the Consulate did nothing rather than only preparing certified document for me to send to the FBU. I ended taking care everything at my local SSA Office instead.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 5, Keep on Topic, when posting here.

This thread is about reporting and replacing lost passport cards.

While some natural deviation from the subject of this thread and the topic of this forum are perfectly acceptable, please let's keep the focus of this discussion on lost passport cards and related to travel safety and security.

If you wish to discuss Consular Reports of Births Abroad and the the issuance of Social Security numbers to infants born abroad, please start a thread on that topic.

Future off-topic remarks will be summarily deleted without further warning. Repeat violators of FT Rule 5 will be subject to discipline as prescribed in FT Rule 23.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.