Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK/Irish Passport Holder Traveling between Europe and UK post Brexit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

After Brexit to avoid holdups, can I travel to Europe from UK using my Irish passport, then return to UK using my British Passport ?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:30 am

Of course. You can even just travel entirely on your Irish passport, as Irish nationals have a special status in the UK and are considered settled if they live there.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The real question will be if the CTA remains or will the land border become policed again between Northern Ireland and the Republic.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:10 am

Yes, of course. I ought to have stipulated that this would be the case only if the relationship between the UK and Ireland, which precedes their relationship with the EU, remains in place, or is replaced by something similar.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
The real question will be if the CTA remains or will the land border become policed again between Northern Ireland and the Republic.
Why is that the 'real question'? It has nothing to do with what OP is asking
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Why is that the 'real question'? It has nothing to do with what OP is asking
Because after Brexit, Ireland will still be part of the EU but the UK will not. Thus, Ireland will be a foreign country once again to the UK, as will the rest of Europe. Since the UK is not part of Schengen, there are large questions about how EU citizens will be treated at entry to the UK.

The UK basically proposed staffing Border Agency personnel at all Irish ports of entry, but the Irish government squashed that idea since they will remain as full EU participants. Since immigration from EU countries was a big part of Brexit, this is a major issue that needs to be ironed out. Thus, the OPs question of which passport to use going into and out of the UK will be affected by how Ireland and the UK settle the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.