Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Passport/ticket name issue for international travel

Old Nov 8, 18, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

I have an international flight tomorrow, and I tried checking in using the Delta app but it rejected the check in saying the name on passport doesn't match the traveler name. I looked and my middle initial is on my passport but on my ticket it's my middle name, and the last two letters are left off. My boss is convinced I'm screwed and they're not going to let me on the plane since they don't match. I think it's absurd that it couldn't be cleared up at the counter, but a quick Google search has left me panicked that they will reject my current ticket and make me by a new one (which I can't do) and won't let me check in. Am I actually screwed here or is this something than can be fixed at the counter?
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatmenace View Post
I have an international flight tomorrow, and I tried checking in using the Delta app but it rejected the check in saying the name on passport doesn't match the traveler name. I looked and my middle initial is on my passport but on my ticket it's my middle name, and the last two letters are left off. My boss is convinced I'm screwed and they're not going to let me on the plane since they don't match. I think it's absurd that it couldn't be cleared up at the counter, but a quick Google search has left me panicked that they will reject my current ticket and make me by a new one (which I can't do) and won't let me check in. Am I actually screwed here or is this something than can be fixed at the counter?
Did you book through a TA?

Also, the DL folks might know if DL agents have handled this for those in similar situations.
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

No I booked myself through Delta. I noticed the misspelling but my name and middle name are put together and I thought it was just truncated, didn't think it was actually an issue.
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No I booked myself through Delta. I noticed the misspelling but my name and middle name are put together and I thought it was just truncated, didn't think it was actually an issue.
Well, I can't speak about DL, but I know on other carriers like AC, they have fixed minor name discrepancies (and sometimes even spelling mistakes) at the airport check-in counter.

You mentioned the DL app... have you tried regular OLCI on the DL website?
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Yeah it says they're unable to find an online eligible check in reservation.
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah it says they're unable to find an online eligible check in reservation.
The only advice I can offer, based on experience, is to have this taken care of at the airport (and give it time).
Do have any status with DL? Is this a business/first class ticket?

I'm only asking because I had top level status and not sure if it was a factor in helping my situation.
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Zero status. Coach.
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you departing from the US and what is your destination?

If a US departure, it is highly unlikely to be a problem, but may require time, a lot of time, to fix at the airport.

The details will help give you more than general advice.
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Leaving from the US, destination is Israel. It's United, not Delta.
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leaving from the US, destination is Israel. It's United, not Delta.
Ok, in your OP you said you tried checking in using the Delta app, so I thought you were flying Delta.
I might be missing something, but shouldn't you be checking in with UA?
Old Nov 9, 18, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I tried checking in using the Delta app
It's United, not Delta.
Uh, that may be part of the problem...

I suggest you show up at the airport an hour early. I don't see a big problem here. Just make sure you go to the correct (operating carrier's) desk.
Old Nov 9, 18, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Yes, I wrote the wrong airline. It's United, not Delta, and I used the United app.

Spoke to an United rep late last night and the issue is the middle name on my ticket is not the same as my what the government has. For some reason, when the ticket got booked, the last two letters of my middle name were not included. She couldn't help me over the phone but she thinks it's a big deal but couldn't tell me what that meant. So I'll show up and hope my entire trip isn't ruined over two letters.
Old Nov 9, 18, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I wrote the wrong airline. It's United, not Delta, and I used the United app.

Spoke to an United rep late last night and the issue is the middle name on my ticket is not the same as my what the government has. For some reason, when the ticket got booked, the last two letters of my middle name were not included. She couldn't help me over the phone but she thinks it's a big deal but couldn't tell me what that meant. So I'll show up and hope my entire trip isn't ruined over two letters.
FWIW, I booked a flight for a friend and mistakenly used her middle name as her last name (!). This was only caught when she tried to check in and the check-in agent fixed it for her. It took some time, but it was done. This was a flight from Canada to the US.

IMHO, I think the data point I just stated is much worse than your case of missing two letters. Hopefully you will get a helpful UA agent.
Old Nov 9, 18, 10:28 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat (hah!), Best Western Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Al my United tickets have my last name, first name and middle initial only, despite the fact that my passport has a full middle name. Has never caused any problems.
Old Nov 9, 18, 10:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Take a look at this thread:
Passport name mismatch on airline ticket

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: