Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US Citizens CAN Board a Flight to the US Without a Passport at Preclearance Airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Citizens CAN Board a Flight to the US Without a Passport at Preclearance Airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

I've seen discussion of this before, but I don't believe I've ever seen 100% confirmation.

My daughter was travelling with a bunch of family members flying from Shannon to the US a few days ago. One family had lost his passport, but he was cleared by the preclearance ICE and was allowed to board the flight.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
That's because once they are cleared to enter the US by CBP officers at the Pre-Clearance airport, the airlines don't have to worry about them being refused entry at their destination.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I've seen discussion of this before, but I don't believe I've ever seen 100% confirmation.

My daughter was travelling with a bunch of family members flying from Shannon to the US a few days ago. One family had lost his passport, but he was cleared by the preclearance ICE and was allowed to board the flight.
Upon CBP confirming the identity of the US citizen as a US citizen, the CBP can’t deny entry to the US, even at US CBP PreClearance airports. But the carrier need not transport such US citizens, as can legally happen when a recognized US citizen, with or without US passport, shows up at a CBP Preclearance airport and is discovered to be on a no-fly list of sorts.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
That's because once they are cleared to enter the US by CBP officers at the Pre-Clearance airport, the airlines don't have to worry about them being refused entry at their destination.
Right, and various people have stated on Flyertalk before that in light of that situation, that in theory one should be able to fly without a passport if returning to the US from a preclearance airport. However, I don't remember any posts where there was a report of someone successfully doing it.

I could see a situation where a passenger did not do OLCI and then the airline would not issue a boarding pass at the airport due to lack of a passport, and then the passenger could not get through security to the preclearance area. I don't know exactly how it unfolded at the airport in this instance, just that he got onto his flight.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended

What’s the potential financial penalty for airlines that fail to comply with the US WHTI ID requirements?

While Ireland isn’t covered by WHTI, most US CBP Preclearance airports are in WHTI-covered countries.

A couple of years ago, a proposal was making the rounds to de facto fine US citizens for showing up at US ports of entry — CBP Preclearance or otherwise — without the noted travel documentation. There was a thread here about just that, but the fine amount for that had not yet even been determined at that.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:21 am

I don't recall if there was a passport check when boarding at DUB, but every time I've flown out of YYZ, I've had to show my passport before boarding despite being pre-cleared, and that's with several airlines so it's not an airline specific policy. Maybe it's a Canada thing?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by t325
I don't recall if there was a passport check when boarding at DUB, but every time I've flown out of YYZ, I've had to show my passport before boarding despite being pre-cleared, and that's with several airlines so it's not an airline specific policy. Maybe it's a Canada thing?
You need to show ID on all flights originating in (and probably departing to) Canada. For obvious reasons, they ask for passports even though you've been pre-cleared
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:29 am
Suspended

As I indicated earlier in this thread, it’s a US thing — a US WHTI thing but perhaps even more than just that. Covered carrier flights to the US need to comply with the US WHTI even for people who are admissible to the US as recognized US citizens.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 5, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most carriers --- at least sensible carriers --- do a final passport check at the gate whether it is Pre Clearance or not. That way everyone knows that the passport boarded the flight. The number of people who manage to leave their passports in lounges, bars, stores and the like between check-in / CBP (in the case of Pre Clearance) and the gate is phenomenal.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I've shown my US driver's license at the gate at Toronto Pearson on a couple of occasions. No problems at all.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
I've shown my US driver's license at the gate at Toronto Pearson on a couple of occasions. No problems at all.
I've been asked for a passport at the gate at YVR as well on a US bound flight.

I suppose it is an ID check to make sure the holder of the boarding pass is the ticketed passenger, rather than an immigration check.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

As I indicated earlier in this thread, it’s a US thing — a US WHTI thing but perhaps even more than just that. Covered carrier flights to the US need to comply with the US WHTI even for people who are admissible to the US as recognized US citizens.
From the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website:
What if I don’t have the required documents when I travel to or return to the United States?

Travelers without WHTI-compliant documents are likely to be delayed at the border as CBP officers work to verify identity and citizenship.
In the case of @BigFlyer's family member, the identity was confirmed by the CBP officers at the pre-clearance inspection before he was permitted to board the flight to the US.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

From the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website:
In the case of @BigFlyer's family member, the identity was confirmed by the CBP officers at the pre-clearance inspection before he was permitted to board the flight to the US.
Carriers’ concerns about transporting passengers without passports (or passport-substitutes in some cases) to the US is not limited to just the issue of whether or not passengers are admissible at destination and have already had their US identity and citizenship/nationality confirmed by US CBP.

I’ve seen CBP af YYZ refuse to tell carriers to transport passengers whose US identity and citizenship was confirmed by CBP just before boarding commenced.

US WHTI covers Canada but not Ireland IIRC.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:30 pm

I flew from DUB on AA today. The airline specifically announced that everyone had shown their passport to enough people already and that they did not need to show their passport, only their boarding pass when boarding.

This contrasts with my experience at either YOW or YUL (I cannot remember which one) a few years ago. Then, the agent from AA was requiring everyone to show their ID before boarding the flight after preclearance. I remember asking what would happen if someone had lost his or her passport between the preclearance area and the plane--would the person be able to leave the preclearance area into Canada to go to an embassy to get another passport? The agent did not seem happy that I asked about this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
[Carriers’ concerns about transporting passengers without passports (or passport-substitutes in some cases) to the US is not limited to just the issue of whether or not passengers are admissible at destination and have already had their US identity and citizenship/nationality confirmed by US CBP.
Here's a firsthand experience from today:
Originally Posted by guflyer
I flew from DUB on AA today. The airline specifically announced that everyone had shown their passport to enough people already and that they did not need to show their passport, only their boarding pass when boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.