Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New Entry Procedure for US--No Kiosk or Form to Fill Out, Only Discussion with Agent?

New Entry Procedure for US--No Kiosk or Form to Fill Out, Only Discussion with Agent?

Old Jul 6, 18, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Yesterday, I cleared CBP at DUB preclearance. All of the kiosks were turned off and nobody gave us a form. Approaching the desk, the agent asked me a couple of questions (such as how long I was in Ireland, if I was bringing back food, if I was bringing back a large amount of money, and what I did for a living). Upon answering them, he took a photo of me. I looked away as I never had that happen before (I am a US citizen) and was not comfortable with this, perhaps because it was such a surprised and I did not expect it. The agent then sternly told me to look into the camera. He took another photo and said that I was good to go.

1. Is this a normal new procedure--no kiosk or paperwork to fill out, just talking with the agent?

2. Is the camera just taking a photo, or is it taking an eye scan?

3. Is the photo in any way more intrusive than the photos that the kiosks had taken of me in the past, or what is on file for my passport or mobile passport app?

4. Should I be concerned about being on any list or having something negative in my record for the agent not seeming happy that I initially looked away at the camera?
Old Jul 6, 18, 10:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
End in sight for US CBP Form 6059B customs declaration form

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Orders for paper 6059b customs declaration forms will end at some point next year or for some point next year. So by 2017, the need for a pen/pencil for these customs declaration forms will end even for those not using electronic kiosks or other electronic means.

AviationNews.net
And:
Forgot to fill out 6059B or kiosk

Originally Posted by Beza View Post
Hello,

i landed at jfk last night and didnít get to fill out the 6095B customs form. I was expecting it to be handed in the plane which they didnít and I wasnít even aware that there were kiosks for it. I was hoping to pick it up while in line but ended up just having my passport checked and passing through (the officer didnít ask for it either). So I basically only went through only passport control and left.
guflyer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:08 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

1. Is this a normal new procedure--no kiosk or paperwork to fill out, just talking with the agent?

I've never experienced this before. My only guess is that they ran out of forms and/or the kiosks didn't work. Or maybe it's some sort of trial for a new procedure.

2. Is the camera just taking a photo, or is it taking an eye scan?

I don't think an eye scan can be done at such a distance, so it's probably just a photo.

3. Is the photo in any way more intrusive than the photos that the kiosks had taken of me in the past, or what is on file for my passport or mobile passport app?

I don't see how it would be more intrusive.

4. Should I be concerned about being on any list or having something negative in my record for the agent not seeming happy that I initially looked away at the camera?

I wouldn't be concerned. CBP agents deal with rude, cranky, tired, and clueless passengers every day. It would take a lot more than looking away from the camera for them to put anything on your record.

Search this Thread