Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Do you have to disclose your old names in a visa application?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum

Sorry if this is on the wrong board. If so - please feel free to move.

So long story short - I didn't have a happy childhood and when I was 21, the state court where I resided at that time granted me a name change that was sealed by the court order.

Fast forward six years, been living happily ever after without anyone from my past bothering me, I am going to a country that requires visa, and as a part of the application, they are asking for any past names I may have had.

In this case, would you disclose your old name on that application?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:44 am

If someone at that visa office is checking you out, you didn't "exist" for 21 years. Might be seen as a red flag for this and future applications. And lying on a visa application in itself can be sufficient to decline the visa, even at entry.

I don't know whether I would risk it.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If they are asking for past names you should give them. I don't think that this would cause your past catching up with you.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I'm transgender and have the same predicament. I do so, and it's not been a problem. But if I were asked in a visa application for say, Zimbabwe or the UAE, I probably wouldn't disclose.

In your situation, I'd just disclose every time. All they really want to do with that information is check international databases. It's not likely to come back to bite you. If you were moving to another country, it might be different. I appreciate it might be very unpleasant for you to do though.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by Skatering
In your situation, I'd just disclose every time. All they really want to do with that information is check international databases. It's not likely to come back to bite you. If you were moving to another country, it might be different. I appreciate it might be very unpleasant for you to do though.
i guess I will just have to hope that ex-husband didn’t get a job at one of these embassies 🤣
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Forum
Thanks....
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.