Wiki Posts
Search

Quick medical liquid checkpoint question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Quick medical liquid checkpoint question

Long time lurker, first time poster...

This weekend I need to travel with a tiny bottle of medical liquid that is < 3 oz. If I understand the rules correctly, this minute quantity of liquid does not need to be declared and placed in a baggie on the belt. It can remain secured in my carry-on with its syringes. Is that correct?

This one case, medical liquid < 3 oz, I could not find specific reference to in other discussions.

Thanks for the assist!

Now I have to figure out the best checkpoint to use at SEA, to avoid the NoS...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. If it's in your 311 baggie you don't need to declare it.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Correct. If it's in your 311 baggie you don't need to declare it.
Wait, now I'm confused again.

OK, if it's in the 311 bag I do not need to declare it.

But if it is a medical liquid of < 3 oz, do I need to put it in the 311 bag or declare it at all?

It's a tiny delicate vial which I do not want bouncing around with the toothpaste etc in the bag, so I am hoping it is OK to box it up and leave it among my clothes in the carry-on.

Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by horseflesh

But if it is a medical liquid of < 3 oz, do I need to put it in the 311 bag or declare it at all?

It's a tiny delicate vial which I do not want bouncing around with the toothpaste etc in the bag, so I am hoping it is OK to box it up and leave it among my clothes in the carry-on.

Thanks.
Two ways to clear this per the TSA standards. One, put it in your 3-1-1 bag, which is out of your carry-on. Two, declare it to the TSO separately, which theoretically should require a swab (though it has never, ever been done when I have declared) . Having said that, many posters state that they are leaving their 3-1-1 baggies in their carry-on and most of the time nothing is said. Your mileage may vary.

Welcome as a first-time poster, Horseflesh!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:23 pm

Here's what TSA says:

Originally Posted by TSA
If the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3.4 ounces (100ml) each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.
I read this as: medical liquids under 100ml can be placed in the 3-1-1 bag without comment or any special treatment.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I often segregate bottles within my 3-1-1 bag by putting them in smaller plastic bags, in case of leaks. Hasn't caused a problem yet. You could try that, too.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
Since you mentioned syringes in your first post I'm guessing you have them in some type of container like a Frio or such.

If it is a liquid, medicine or not, it has to be declared. If in a medical kit just take the kit and declare that. If the vial is strong enough to go in your 3.1.1 KHIAI Freedom baggie then put it there if that works best.

There have been many reports of people not removing their 3.1.1. bag. If you don't and get an Ahole screener your day is likely to only go down hill.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:29 pm
Suspended

It can remain secured in my carry-on with its syringes. Is that correct?
I've seen recent reports from people saying that TSA screeners are balking at Epi-Pens, claiming they can be used as "weapons."

Best of luck to you.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

I did some digging on the official site and found more information.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...al_1374.shtm#4

All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened.
Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

* You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise your medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.
* Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

It's not entirely clear but it seems to mean that I can put a <3 oz medical liquid plus its syringes into my carry-on, and not say anything about it, if I am OK with it being X-rayed on the belt. If not, I need to declare it for visual inspection.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:05 pm

I did some digging on the official site and found more information.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...al_1374.shtm#4

All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened.
Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

* You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise your medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.
* Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

It's not entirely clear but it seems to mean that I can put a <3 oz medical liquid plus its syringes into my carry-on, and not say anything about it, if I am OK with it being X-rayed on the belt. If not, I need to declare it for visual inspection.
Two choices:
1. You treat it as any other liquid, if it is under 3.4 oz, and put it in your 3-1-1 bag
2. You declare it as a medical supply but it still needs to be out of your carry-on. With medical supplies, you can either let it go through the x-ray or prior to it going through you tell them you want a visual inspection. If they cannot clear it by visual inspection, they will need to x-ray it. If you refuse to have it x-rayed, you won't be able to bring it into the secure area. Which means you can either "voluntarily hand it over" and proceed to your destination or you take it with you and leave the airport.

Either way it has to be out of your carry-on because it's a liquid. Leaving it in your carryon is just taking a chance you probably don't want to take.

Last edited by Mimi111; Feb 8, 2011 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I've seen recent reports from people saying that TSA screeners are balking at Epi-Pens, claiming they can be used as "weapons."
Someone is cruising for a reckless endangerment arrest.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
I routinely travel with two FlexPens and just leave them in their Frio in a baggie in my carry-on. Dozen + trips through SEA and DFW, never been asked about it. Now I don't have a syringe, just a pen needle.

Couple times when I've been travelling with a dozen bottles of a gel medication (in their sealed boxes with Rx labels), my carryon has been pulled and eye-balled. Nothing else.

I wouldn't bother doing anything special. If they pull your bag and ask, say that it's medically necessary (key phrase) and if they push back, politely ask for a supervisor.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
If it's not in your 311 baggie you are supposed to declare it.

If it's a tiny vial they probably won't see it, though. I got to the point that I wasn't bothering to declare a whole box full of 5ml ampules (for a total of nearly a liter of liquid) because I realized the x-ray didn't see them.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
I wouldn't bother doing anything special. If they pull your bag and ask, say that it's medically necessary (key phrase) and if they push back, politely ask for a supervisor.
Yeah. The stuff I wasn't bothering to declare had prescription labels on it which I always made sure were on top. After forgetting to declare it a few times and no notice being taken I quit bothering and nobody said anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.