Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Undocumented Immigrant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused by your reference to a customs checkpoint exiting baggage claim. The OP will be arriving from Canada and almost all Canada to USA transborder flights do CBP PRECLEARANCE just after checking in on the Canadian flight, before being permitted to board the flight to the USA. At that point, USA CBP officers will see the OP's luggage, checked and cabin stuff (although it's likely to just be a picture of the checked bag which the passenger identifies as part of the procedure). Then, upon arrival in the USA, everything is like a simple domestic flight, with no customs control after baggage claim as the bags will arrive onto a belt with other domestic flights.
Unless preclearance gets revoked. Preclearance only clears you to land at that specific airport w/o going through customs apparently...not entry to the US officially...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Unless preclearance gets revoked. Preclearance only clears you to land at that specific airport w/o going through customs apparently...not entry to the US officially...
The highlighted sentence is incorrect.

One undergoes both customs and immigration inspections at airports with preclearance facilities. Flights from those airports then arrive at the US just as domestic flights do.
What is Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Preclearance?

A preclearance inspection is essentially the same inspection an individual would undergo at a U.S. port of entry and preclearance travelers do not have to undergo a second CBP inspection upon arrival in the United States;
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TWA884
The highlighted sentence is incorrect.

One undergoes both customs and immigration inspections at airports with preclearance facilities. Flights from those airports then arrive at the US just as domestic flights do.
That is very interesting because this happened in YYZ in 2015:

I was in the preclearance zone in the old terminal 2 commuter flight area, and a couple had just missed their flights. They were rescheduled to fly in 90 min. The Air Canada GA agent told them that they MUST leave the preclearance area because they were only cleared to land at CLE and not that the location they were rerouted to. From my understanding, they had to clear CBSA and then re-clear CBP Preclearance. Maybe rules have changed since then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.