Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

AU + UK dual national travelling to Aus with <6 months on passport

Old Jan 18, 18, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I'm travelling to Australia next month from London, via Helsinki and Hong Kong, with Finnair (LHR-HEL-HKG) and Cathay (HKG-SYD).
I'm a dual national with UK and AU citizenship. My UK passport has several years remaining on it, but my Australian passport expires in five months.
My trip is just for 10 days in February.

Australia has no requirements that its citizens must have six months validity to enter https://www.passports.gov.au/usingyo...yandvisas.aspx
I'm only transiting Helsinki and Hong Kong (stopovers are just an hour or two each) so any requirements Finland and Hong Kong may have for passport validity shouldn't matter.

I've called Finnair and asked if they'll let me board the flight given Australia doesn't have a six month validity rule. They suggested I show the UK passport at LHR, HEL and HKG, and show the Australian passport in Sydney (which I have to do anyway). The last time I travelled though, I had to show both passports at check-in at Heathrow to demonstrate I could enter Australia, and I'm not sure if they would then say I couldn't board.

Finnair's website is unhelpfully vague on this: https://www.finnair.com/ie/gb/inform...innair-flights
Cathay's is clearer - they only need validity during the period of travel: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_.../overview.html

Any advice around whether I'd be able to board the flights to Helsinki and Hong Kong would be much appreciated.
Australia charge a small fortune for passports when renewed overseas, and they currently have a seven week wait in London, and they charge even more for the priority service.
Old Jan 18, 18, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS

I simulated a departure on Feb 10th with your AU passport expiring next March, and it looks like you need a passport with 3 and 1 months validity to pass through HEL and HKG respectively. Alternatively you can check-in at LHR using your UK passport and show your AU passport along to prove you're eligible for visa-free entry to AU. You'll need to show your AU passport at the gate at HKG as well.
Old Jan 18, 18, 4:55 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by estate View Post
Australia charge a small fortune for passports when renewed overseas, and they currently have a seven week wait in London, and they charge even more for the priority service.
I'm not sure that I understand your question. You have a UK passport that allows you to travel to HEL and HKG (assuming you'd have to get landside for some reason) and you are an AUS national, i.e. you can't be refused from entering Australia. Soooooo what's the question? Pretty clear to me that you could travel the whole journey on the Aussie passport. Carry the UK passport to be on the safe side.
seawolf and TWA884 like this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by estate View Post
Any advice around whether I'd be able to board the flights to Helsinki and Hong Kong would be much appreciated.
If you bring both passports, you should have no issue at all.

However - the trick is you have to check in with the AUS Passport, as each foreigner except New Zealand citizen is required to have some forms of visa (ETA has its own visa subclass).
Old Jan 18, 18, 10:09 pm

Programs: RFC
Carry both. Present both until you get to Oz, then just the Oz one. You will not have any problem at all. If you do have a problem then you instantly know you are dealing with an idiot and should ask for s supervisor that knows how to read Timatic and can reason past A+B
Old Jan 19, 18, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks all for the advice.

WorldLux - the question is around the respective airlines allowing me to board flights when my Aus passport has less than six months on it. I'm very glad it's clear to you that I'll be fine! I just don't know how strict the airlines might choose to be, so wanted to ask some experts.

Redadeco, thanks for checking on that website, I'd not heard of TravelDoc before. I entered in my exact criteria (including that I'm only transiting HEL and HKG) and it said I was good to go. It still said that when I only entered the details of my Australian passport!

Many thanks for your help.

Search this Thread