Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Canadian PR Flying YYZ-ORD-AUH-BLR Needs Visa at ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian PR Flying YYZ-ORD-AUH-BLR Needs Visa at ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by cafeconleche
This is true. I've been to Canada with a GC and no passport. Always by car/bus/on foot. I think you can also legally fly with just a GC, but they mostly demand a passport. The US only requires a GC for re-entry from permanent residents.

I've transited through Heathrow when I had a GC and a US Re-Entry permit in lieu of a passport. Nobody questioned me. Before I became a permanent resident, I actually had to reroute a flight through Heathrow and fly through Dublin instead. The funny thing is that Heathrow would have allowed an airside transit, but Dublin, at least in 2005, required I pass through passport control and re-check in.
Updating this thread a bit with some of our experiences.

Same experience with Canada and a GC--my wife was able to visit Toronto with me and come back without issue.

But Heathrow was a different story. We could have went from DUB to Heathrow to AUD BLR as a re-route that would have put us just one hour behind our original schedule, but BA wouldn't let her check in with with a GC and passport for transit through Heathrow via DUB. That cost us 12hrs and we had to move everything so that my father-in-law's burial would not happen without his daughter seeing him one last time. That was a really rough trip...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:32 am

They didn't allow transit with a GC??? That's insane! Did you have a printout from the UKBA?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Not via DUB to Heathrow. BA's official policy is to allow it and the AA agent (who was super sweet and the best ticketing agent ever) even tried for us but since it was BA that had the final say-so, they wouldn't allow my wife to transit.

So we went the DUB-DOH-DEL-BLR route on Qatar and arrived 12hrs later than our original plan and after 35hrs walked smack dab into the middle of heavy duty mourning. It was grueling and heart wrenching to say the least.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:55 am

You should really complain to BA. It's unacceptable.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

You should really complain to BA. It's unacceptable.
If it was a purchased ticket through BA, then it would have definitely been unacceptable. But since it was AA that was simply trying to get us to BLR, that's between AA and BA, and AA tried stating that even in their system it showed a transit should have been possible, but it is up to BA what rules they want to follow--after all--it is their flight. They may have simply not wanted us on because they had sold the seats--who knows.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:19 am

Doesn't that make it even worse??? They don't get to choose which immigration rules to flout, do they? This is really upsetting me - I am upset for you, having to deal with this at the worst time possible.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Apparently they do, which I've learned any airline can do in the name of safety, security, or any other reason. And rightfully so--you can't force a taxi driver to take you somewhere so I don't expect that out of an airline either.

It was unfortunate that it came when it did because that would have saved a lot of grief. But alas, it has passed and I was just happy we made it there in time to do what was necessary.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:56 am

You're a better man than I for being so forgiving...
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:14 am
Original Poster

You're a better man than I for being so forgiving...
It was because of the AA gate agent doing her absolute very best and going above and beyond what I expected as well as keeping my head while my wife lost hers in a stream of tears that allowed me to get through it. I still have to write AA a note of appreciation for the agent--she really cared and literally did everything in her power. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.