Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US passport to transit UK, Russian passport to enter Russia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO

I have a friend (dual US-Russian citizen) who is traveling US-UK-Russia. He arrives the UK around 7am and departs 6:30am the next day.

The US passport allows him to do a landside transit in the UK without a visa, and the Russian passport allows him to enter Russia without a visa.

I realize this is a bit complicated for the average check-in agent, but is there any advice I should give him other than telling him to simply inform the agent that he plans to us the US passport to transit the UK and the Russian passport to enter Russia? I'm not sure how TIMATIC might handle something like...

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:28 am

Can't see a problem at all. Do note that if they enter the UK on their US passport then they should leave on that passport.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
Can't see a problem at all. Do note that if they enter the UK on their US passport then they should leave on that passport.
absolutely, thanks, I'll stress that point with him.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Keep in mind that at Heathrow, there is most likely not an outbound immigration check. They use API data from the airlines.

Use your Russian passport to check in for your flight at Heathrow, and that should be it. You have your US one if needed, but after you clear inbound immigration at Heathrow, you probably won't need to use it until checking in for your flight in Russia on your return trip.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Oh interesting... I just assumed there was exit immigration in the UK. Thanks for the head's up, I'll definitely tell him to be ready to explain that he entered on his US passport, if asked.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:02 pm

The key with using multiple passports is to use the one most relevant at a given spot in the airport. For the check-in counters, use the one you plan to use wherever your flight is heading to. All the gate agents care about is if you're eligible for admission to the next country. So, US passport when checking in for LHR flight in the US, Russian passport when checking in for Russia flight in the UK.

In Russia, use Russian passport for inbound immigration. For the return, us US passport at the ticket counter and Russian passport at outbound immigration.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catocony
The key with using multiple passports is to use the one most relevant at a given spot in the airport. For the check-in counters, use the one you plan to use wherever your flight is heading to. All the gate agents care about is if you're eligible for admission to the next country. So, US passport when checking in for LHR flight in the US, Russian passport when checking in for Russia flight in the UK.

In Russia, use Russian passport for inbound immigration. For the return, us US passport at the ticket counter and Russian passport at outbound immigration.
Thanks! I am most concerned with the check-in agent in the US putting "USA" as the nationality, Russia as the destination, and the UK as the transit point as that sequence will display that a visa is needed for Russia.

Then if they put in Russia as the nationality, Russia as the destination, and the UK as the transit point, it'll say that a visa is needed to do a landside transit in the UK.

A smart agent should understand the nuance of the situation... I am just worried about him running into a dense agent who will read what TIMATIC says and not use their common sense.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:02 pm

You're really overthinking this. The guy has two passports. No issues anywhere.

Where an issue like you're describing crops up is when there's a connection somewhere, international to international, where the passenger does not have a visa for the connecting country. The check-in crew is often confused by that.

As far as the check-in agent putting much in the record, that's all been done long before someone shows up for a flight. When he/she booked the ticket, a lot of that info went in then.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:07 am

Nyet problema!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.