Wiki Posts
Search

Lost/Stolen US Passport in BKK - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Lost/Stolen US Passport in BKK - Need Advice

Just realized my passport was lost/stolen in BKK. Since it is Thai New Year, the US Embassy is conveniently not open until Monday.

Filed a report with Uber, which would be the last known location of my passport
The police report has been filed with necessary paperwork to get an emergency passport
I have global entry, but that won't get me out of BKK, only into US

Any suggestions on how to handle UA? Since I'm routing on ANA from BKK>NRT. Will they budge with waving the same day change?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by GKC1987
the US Embassy is conveniently not open until Monday.
Lost stolen passports are listed under "Emergencies Abroad" https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ergencies.html

I would say that's the green light to call the Bangkok embassy "emergency number":

Outside of normal business hours, call the Embassy switchboard at 66-2-205-4000 from outside of Thailand, or 02-205-4000 within Thailand, and request to speak with the “Duty Officer.”
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service...sistance2.html
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I would say that's the green light to call the Bangkok embassy "emergency number":
Agreed, but they still won't be able to replace it if the Embassy is closed; I learned that once myself.

Good luck!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:45 am

and global entry won't work since it will be a new passport
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
You're probably better off asking in the Thailand forum.

Sadly, UA doesn't even fly to BKK anymore. That's another thread!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Suggest to also have all this paperwork/photo work done ASAP before you hit the Embassy.

UA should allow you a same-day change due to the lost passport. Might require an airport trip, but maybe,
just maybe, the UA agents would do it as well.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/replace..._passport.html
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First things first. Call the Embassy emergency line and figure out what the soonest is that you will be able to obtain a replacement or passport replacing document to get you home. With that information you can then speak definitively with UA about a fee-free change.

Second, the chances that ANA will board you on a NRT service without a passport is slim to nil. While you can't be denied entry to the US as a USN, that is not the immediate concern. On the other hand, why not ask?

Third, talk to UA. You are likely on the hook for a change fee + fare difference and that may quite a bit if you are on a restricted ticket. But, this ought to be covered by several aspects of your insurance, so keep track of it all if UA won't waive it.

Fourth, even if for some reason you can't access GE on return to the US, that is a miniscule hassle in comparison to the request. But, MOYEUNG is incorrect. You can update GOES and associate your KTN with a new passport online. So, even that may be fixable.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Lost stolen passports are listed under "Emergencies Abroad" https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ergencies.html

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service...sistance2.html
I would be surprised if we were to open up an otherwise closed ACS facility to provide for such a document for this circumstance.

I would try to arrange to get the doc circumstance fixed ASAP and go to the airport ticketing counter and/or airline to check-in and inform them of lack of documents to travel. The airline will deny boarding in the absence of adequate documents even as the customer is willing to fly if allowed by the airline -- most frequently this has been enough for members of my travel party to get rebooked onto another flight even when on a non-refundable ticket with no changes allowed under the fare rules if the passenger had all the required travel docs.

Having Global Entry shouldn't make a difference in the OP's circumstances. The report of a lost/stolen passport -- if handled properly and expeditiously -- will result in the invalidation of the passport for use for travel. And it's that passport info which is used for GE too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.