Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New (Microwave) Scanners at FRA - No "opt-out"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New (Microwave) Scanners at FRA - No "opt-out"?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:03 am

I would report them to the police and whatever EU department is responsible, for violating EU law
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Microwave , EMF = Bad for Body.

I'm highly sensitive to electromagnetic energy and have always opted out of any of those units and have been given a pat down.

No matter how 'safe' it claims it is, it isn't. My head literally burns when passing between two units.
Which, based on prior studies, I would fully expect to happen even if they were switched off and unplugged, as long as you didn't know they were switched off and unplugged.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Opted out today. No problems. I was politely asked why and I politely replied "I do not go through them." I was also asked by the person who did the pat down. Same reply. The pat down was cursory. They did take my shoes and run them through the X-ray.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have reached out to the Dutch government to determine who the enforcement body is that could force Schiphol to place signage that informs passengers of their rights to opt out, as laid out by EU 1147/2011.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by mfkne
I have reached out to the Dutch government to determine who the enforcement body is that could force Schiphol to place signage that informs passengers of their rights to opt out, as laid out by EU 1147/2011.
Can you also ask them why Schiphol installed these machines in the first place? It looks like some silly EU-rule since they are appearing at more and more airports.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Can you also ask them why Schiphol installed these machines in the first place? It looks like some silly EU-rule since they are appearing at more and more airports.
The Americans forced them to?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:24 am

That's what I'm thinking.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:57 pm

have any microwave scanners been installed anywhere else?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:16 pm

There are some at STR, one was installed at NUE, but I think it's not in service yet.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:52 pm

I've seen at least one at CGN and they're coming to CPH and ARN.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just went through security at FRA A and went through the new scanner line.

Asked for a manual check, but was informed that no "opt-out" exists in Europe. However, was shown the metal detector line that I could have used.

Was advised that this "microwave" device was not the same as the US ones and was not as "harmful"...

Any info on this and current regulations?

Was advised that this would become mandatory throughout European airports...
Lies! How do they get away with this crap? There are many tales of misinformed, deluded or plain power-tripping security staff at UK airports. I thought however that in Germany they were a little more sensible and clear-headed about this topic. On the job training is usually far better than in the UK so how they can spout such rubbish is shocking. Particularly as on Frankfurt Airport's website there is information that directly contradicts what they told SuperFlyBoy.

It's in the form of a PDF of a leaflet on the scanners, but it's only in German. It refers to 11 September 2001 in the context of introducing these scanners. Presumably the use of these devices was so imperative for continued safe civil aviation that it only took them 14 years to start using them.

On the leaflet however, it states quite plainly:
Eight points to note about the body scanner
[Point 1] Security checks by means of a body scanner is voluntary for every passenger. In the case of a passenger deciding that he/she does not want to use a body scanner, an alternative thorough manual search will take place (search by hand).

Source: my off-hand translation of http://www.frankfurt-airport.de/cont...stand-juni.pdf
Original German: "Die Kontrolle mit dem Körperscanner ist für jeden Fluggast freiwillig. Im Fall einer Entscheidung, den Körperscanner nicht nutzen zu wollen, erfolgt alternativ die vollständige manuelle Kontrolle (Durchsuchung von Hand).

They are millimetre-wave scanners, not microwave, but nonetheless ...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:35 pm

I can now confirm that one such device is in service at NUE but it can be avoided by simply using another lane. Opting out was hassle-free, no questions asked and there was a sign indicating the use was voluntary.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Millimeter wave machines transmit on a similar frequency and at a much lower power than the automatic door sensors you walked through to get into the airport...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mfkne
Have you had a reply yet? Wonder if the KMar cares if a PAX would report a screeners resistance to an opt-out.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:01 am

I have been given the runaround - I was first informed that ILT was responsible - they in turn referred me to the Ministry of Justice who in turn has referred me to the Ministry of Defence. I have been waiting for a response from them for about a week now.

If I continue to hear nothing I will investigate going down the route of taking this via the European Commission - I would imagine there is someone there who has oversight over the implementation of its regulations by EU member states.

Edit: I do know that KMar do care (at least they say so), as I once was contacted by their klachtenfunctionaris following a complaint via the Schiphol website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.