FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New (Microwave) Scanners at FRA - No "opt-out"?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:57 pm
Frog Escalator

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just went through security at FRA A and went through the new scanner line.

Asked for a manual check, but was informed that no "opt-out" exists in Europe. However, was shown the metal detector line that I could have used.

Was advised that this "microwave" device was not the same as the US ones and was not as "harmful"...

Any info on this and current regulations?

Was advised that this would become mandatory throughout European airports...
Lies! How do they get away with this crap? There are many tales of misinformed, deluded or plain power-tripping security staff at UK airports. I thought however that in Germany they were a little more sensible and clear-headed about this topic. On the job training is usually far better than in the UK so how they can spout such rubbish is shocking. Particularly as on Frankfurt Airport's website there is information that directly contradicts what they told SuperFlyBoy.

It's in the form of a PDF of a leaflet on the scanners, but it's only in German. It refers to 11 September 2001 in the context of introducing these scanners. Presumably the use of these devices was so imperative for continued safe civil aviation that it only took them 14 years to start using them.

On the leaflet however, it states quite plainly:
Eight points to note about the body scanner
[Point 1] Security checks by means of a body scanner is voluntary for every passenger. In the case of a passenger deciding that he/she does not want to use a body scanner, an alternative thorough manual search will take place (search by hand).

Source: my off-hand translation of http://www.frankfurt-airport.de/cont...stand-juni.pdf
Original German: "Die Kontrolle mit dem Körperscanner ist für jeden Fluggast freiwillig. Im Fall einer Entscheidung, den Körperscanner nicht nutzen zu wollen, erfolgt alternativ die vollständige manuelle Kontrolle (Durchsuchung von Hand).

They are millimetre-wave scanners, not microwave, but nonetheless ...