Search

Shots fired inside Armstrong Int’l Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:13 pm

Perpetrator has died.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/285804...ronounced-dead
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
The sheriff suggested that the suspect has had "mental health" issues. His family has been cooperating with the investigation.
As someone who lives with a mental illness, I really hate to see this used as an excuse for criminal behavior. There are plenty of people with mental illness who are law abiding citizens.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by zitsky
As someone who lives with a mental illness, I really hate to see this used as an excuse for criminal behavior. There are plenty of people with mental illness who are law abiding citizens.
I think in this context, it's being used as an explanation, rather than an excuse. And if he had the kind of mental illness that makes you hear voices that tell you to do things, that's relevant.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I think in this context, it's being used as an explanation, rather than an excuse. And if he had the kind of mental illness that makes you hear voices that tell you to do things, that's relevant.
Terrorists being mentally ill is surprising?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Terrorists being mentally ill is surprising?
Maybe not. But not all violence can be explained by mental illness. I think some terrorists are quite sane, just incredibly dogmatic.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky
Maybe not. But not all violence can be explained by mental illness. I think some terrorists are quite sane, just incredibly dogmatic.
Extreme affinity to extremely twisted dogmatism of a sort that comes from believers in one or more mystical voices fits some -- but not all -- versions of what is sane. Are sociopaths and psychopaths all that readily distinguishable, especially on very close examination? Not so sure about that.

Borderline sane/insane, yet criminally functional fits the description of the perpetrator of this attack at MSY.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
I confess that implication was far too subtle for me to grasp from Himeno's post.
If the now-deceased attacker went after the TSA for some particular reason involving the TSA, however whacked the reasoning of the attacker, then the TSA figures into the motive.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Extreme affinity to extremely twisted dogmatism of a sort that comes from believers in one or more mystical voices fits some -- but not all -- versions of what is sane. Are sociopaths and psychopaths all that readily distinguishable, especially on very close examination? Not so sure about that.

Borderline sane/insane, yet criminally functional fits the description of the perpetrator of this attack at MSY.
GU - you are typically more precise in your language/editing so I have to ask:
1. did you not mean "versions of what is insane"?

2. I've never heard this legal term before so I'll bite, what is "criminally functional"?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Section 107
GU - you are typically more precise in your language/editing so I have to ask:
1. did you not mean "versions of what is insane"?

2. I've never heard this legal term before so I'll bite, what is "criminally functional"?
1. Should've been insane.
2. It's not legalese. Functional enough to deliberately design and knowingly execute an act that is criminal in nature.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Wow, just reading through the links; I didn't realize that the Sheriff shot one of the TSA agents while shooting the wacko. Those security spots at MSY are pretty confined; I can only imagine how shocking it must have been.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Please follow the ongoing discussion in the Debate forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...acked-msy.html

thanks'
squeakr

co Mod TS/S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.