Wiki Posts
Search

TSA officers attacked at MSY

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

TSA officers attacked at MSY

Link

Man going through Pre-Line with Wasp spray and a machete.

LEOs shot the perpetrator, but also hit a TSA officer and an bystander. Other injuries reported due to the panic. The perpetrator is reportedly in the hospital and unresponsive.

It's sad that this happened and my sympathies go out to everyone impacted by this nut.

The TSA did what they are supposed to do. The clerks and the checkpoint kept a nut with weapons off a plane. The WTMD worked. Unfortunately, I'm sure that TSA will use this crisis as propaganda to go above and beyond the WTMD, to suggest the clerks be armed (note the civilian shot by a LEO), and more offensive security measures.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:12 am

Mental illness.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Certainly sounds like a mentally unstable person going off the deep end. He could have had some deranged vendetta against TSA or an individual TSO, or he could simply have chosen the airport as a good site for suicide by cop.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:22 am

But...

Did they make him take his shoes off?

I think there is only one answer that we can all agree on... we need to start putting people through a pre-security check before they get to the TSA security check.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Let's not pretend this wack job was discovered by the checkpoint to be harboring hidden weapons that he intended to bring on an airplane. It isn't even clear that he held a BP at this point.

He was wielding the wasp spray as he approached the checkpoint and then pulled the machete out and went to town.

It sounds like the TSOs did a good job of keeping themselves engaged with said wack job which is quite brave. Chasing him through the WTMD (ahem, after he had already started the attack) to airside is the correct direction - away from the queue and towards LEOs. LEO could have been a better shot but got the job done.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:25 pm

Sheriff says New Orleans airport attacker had explosives
| March 21, 2015 | Updated: March 21, 2015 2:58pm

KENNER, La. (AP) — Authorities says the machete-wielding man who was shot at New Orleans' international airport after trying to attack security agents was carrying explosives at the time.

Sheriff Newell Normand says suspect Richard White, who was shot by a security agent at the airport late Friday, was carrying a bag loaded with six Molotov cocktails. Material determined to have come from smoke bombs was also found.

Normand says White is hospitalized with gunshot wounds.

The sheriff suggested that the suspect has had "mental health" issues. His family has been cooperating with the investigation.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The attacker has expired.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As predicted, the TSA and some others are attempting to exploit this terrorizing nutcase's attack to again argue that the TSA should be allowed to have some armed TSA personnel at screening checkpoints, all so that there are more armed government personnel at airports than is already the case (with the presence, where applicable, of armed local/state/federal LEOs assigned or passing through airports).
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
As predicted, the TSA and some others are attempting to exploit this terrorizing nutcase's attack to again argue that the TSA should be allowed to have some armed TSA personnel at screening checkpoints, all so that there are more armed government personnel at airports than is already the case (with the presence, where applicable, of armed local/state/federal LEOs assigned or passing through airports).
Right on cue.

I wonder if they get the irony that the TSA clerk that was "inches away" from being hit by the machete-wielding-terrwrowist was, in fact, ACTUALLY SHOT by a LEO. Or that many nearby passengers were almost shot.

I wonder if they understand the significant difference between highly-trained LEOs carrying firearms and giving firearms to people that can't master the task of matching names between a piece of plastic and a piece of paper.

Silly me. They need firearms because the pretty blue officer uniforms didn't garner all the respect and authority they must have to carry plastic buckets back and forth.

Or maybe they plan to protect us by shooting us first.

Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScatterX
Right on cue.

I wonder if they get the irony that the TSA clerk that was "inches away" from being hit by the machete-wielding-terrwrowist was, in fact, ACTUALLY SHOT by a LEO. Or that many nearby passengers were almost shot.

I wonder if they understand the significant difference between highly-trained LEOs carrying firearms and giving firearms to people that can't master the task of matching names between a piece of plastic and a piece of paper.

Silly me. They need firearms because the pretty blue officer uniforms didn't garner all the respect and authority they must have to carry plastic buckets back and forth.

Well, if you look like a cop, and you come across people who don't like cops, guess what????

I wonder if this guy would have attacked a pre-9/11 checkpoint staffed by Argenbright employees who looked like theater ushers?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:19 pm

LEOs poorly positioned?

Forget arming TSA, just move the stand where the LEOs text and read the newspaper to before the checkpoint.

LAX, MSY, would have at least had a chance at protecting the checkpoint or engaging the violator pre-TSA.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Forget arming TSA, just move the stand where the LEOs text and read the newspaper to before the checkpoint.

LAX, MSY, would have at least had a chance at protecting the checkpoint or engaging the violator pre-TSA.
Yeah, put the guns up front so they can be taken out first.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by ScatterX

I would suggest that since the TSA dressed their screeners up to look like cops and, sadly, so many believe they are actual cops, a mentally deranged person, believing they were cops, chose to attack them.

Hence, the action by the TSA has come back to bite them.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I would suggest that since the TSA dressed their screeners up to look like cops and, sadly, so many believe they are actual cops, a mentally deranged person, believing they were cops, chose to attack them.

Hence, the action by the TSA has come back to bite them.
Kinda' what I was thinking upstream in post #10.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Kinda' what I was thinking upstream in post #10.
Which I totally missed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.