Search

Passport question-South Caribbean Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Passport question-South Caribbean Cruise

Hi,

Very specific question.

I already booked a cruise I guess I shouldve waited until this was all sorted out.

Here are the circumstances.

1. My fiancee is a U.S. Perm Resident i.e. Green card holder with a Philippines expired passport expired late 2012. She applied yesterday for a new one but they said up to 3 months and have no expedited services.

2. Traveling from Chicago to San Juan on feb 7.
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...ilDate=1150207

3. We didnt have any problems from a cruise in Miami to Bahamas before with an expired passport.

4. Does she need a passport?

I hear both yes and no when searching through google. I was just thinking she could bring all of her docs including the expired passport, green card, renewal of passport receipts, birth cert, driver's license etc and we would be good. Is my logic flawed?

TIA
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:16 pm

They generally strongly recommend you have your own country's passport as well as your green card, but the green card is all that is necessary to get back into the US.

The problem she may have is that some other countries may not accept it alone. I don't think this would be a problem though, as they almost never check passports on cruises anyway and most people leave their passports on the ship.

The only real problem which is why I think they recommend the passport, is if you missed getting back to the ship in time, you might end up stranded on some island.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/before...cumentation.do
This is the guide from Royal Caribbean.

Last edited by clearly; Dec 12, 2014 at 4:36 pm
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by slicksun
Hi,

Very specific question.

I already booked a cruise I guess I shouldve waited until this was all sorted out.

Here are the circumstances.

1. My fiancee is a U.S. Perm Resident i.e. Green card holder with a Philippines expired passport expired late 2012. She applied yesterday for a new one but they said up to 3 months and have no expedited services.

2. Traveling from Chicago to San Juan on feb 7.
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...ilDate=1150207

3. We didnt have any problems from a cruise in Miami to Bahamas before with an expired passport.

4. Does she need a passport?

I hear both yes and no when searching through google. I was just thinking she could bring all of her docs including the expired passport, green card, renewal of passport receipts, birth cert, driver's license etc and we would be good. Is my logic flawed?

TIA
According to the Bahamas Consulate General in Atlanta, she, as a US green card holder, does not need a visa, but her passport must be valid during and for 6 months after her visit. So it's a no go traveling on an expired passport.

http://bahconga.com/consular-services/faq-2/

If I am a permanent resident of the US (a green card Holder), what documents do I need to travel to The Bahamas?
Green card holders do not require visas to visit The Bahamas. They should have a valid green card, a passport that is valid for six months from the date of departure from The Bahamas; sufficient funds to finance their trip; onward or return tickets to leave The Bahamas and proof of accommodation.

Can a non-Bahamian travel to The Bahamas on an expired Passport?
No; passports must have a minimum of six months validity from the date of departure from The Bahamas. In addition, airlines would not let passengers board with expired travel documents.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Call RCCL: they will moat certainly not let you board without a valid passport.

Period

The three countries you are visiting won't let you in.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I would suggest that your fiancée make a visit to the Chicago Consulate for the Philippines:

http://www.philippineschicago.org/in...cago/#passport

Of course she may out of luck:

Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card (green card).
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I would suggest that your fiancée make a visit to the Chicago Consulate for the Philippines:

http://www.philippineschicago.org/in...cago/#passport

Of course she may out of luck:

Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card (green card).
If she has a green card (and it sounds like she does) then that's proof that she hasn't applied for (well, hasn't received) US citizenship, isn't it? Why would she be "out of luck"?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
If she has a green card (and it sounds like she does) then that's proof that she hasn't applied for (well, hasn't received) US citizenship, isn't it? Why would she be "out of luck"?
I think Radar read it incorrectly. I read it as saying that having a green card can be used as proof that the passport renewer has not applied for citizenship
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by BSBD
I think Radar read it incorrectly. I read it as saying that having a green card can be used as proof that the passport renewer has not applied for citizenship
Yeah I may have it backwards. It was late when I read that. Either way the OP's fiancée should visit her consulate in Chicago to see about a new passport ASAP. Regardless, letting it expire was not very smart.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Dec 15, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
^^ 100% agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.