Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did Air Marshal Endanger United Passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Paid F
I think his response was totally rational since most communicable diseases have a fairly long (hours-days) incubation period. So by acting quickly, he minimized the risk to himself and others. Wonder what was in the syringe?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Being stabbed with a syringe, the only really dangerous diseases I would worry about would be Hepatitis B, C or HIV.

There is no healthcare to speak of in Nigeria, so the best option is to board the plane and get home in order to get HIV prophylaxis and any vaccinations for Hepatitis. He is NOT going to go from being stabbed with a syringe to being contagious in a few hours time. It only works that way in movies.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I'm amused how many of us on FT are suddenly infectious disease experts

The consulate staff gave him something...quite likely PEP as a precaution against HIV until he got stateside. Most likely DOS was in contact with the CDC who felt it safe for him to fly....
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'm amused how many of us on FT are suddenly infectious disease experts

The consulate staff gave him something...quite likely PEP as a precaution against HIV until he got stateside. Most likely DOS was in contact with the CDC who felt it safe for him to fly....
I'm sure we have plenty of physicians like myself on here. It doesn't take an infectious disease expert to sort this one out. Best next step was going to the consulate, then getting home.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: QF LTG
If he chose not to fly would he need to be replaced by another FAM? Surely not every flight has a FAM anyway?

I wouldn't wish harm upon any of them but I think FAMs are a waste of seats.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This happened at LOS. LOS has functioning security cameras. And it's far from being free of armed Nigerian security forces.

Is it possible the people who needled the FAM were wearing medical coats and/or working for the Nigerian health authorities? Who knows yet?

So the FAM gets "attacked" at an airport -- an airport with armed government security forces -- and stands down without even trying to deck the person or persons who "needled" him?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
Ever been to Lagos? I don't wish " medical attention" on anybody there.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Ever been to Lagos? I don't wish " medical attention" on anybody there.
Yes, but does Nigeria have any mandatory "medical attention" requirements for visitors there? They have a right to quarantine people. Don't they also have a right to forcibly administer medical care in the interest of public safety?

I am not saying they should have such a right, but I am saying that they may have such a right under Nigerian law.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, but does Nigeria have any mandatory "medical attention" requirements for visitors there? They have a right to quarantine people. Don't they also have a right to forcibly administer medical care in the interest of public safety?.
They have the right...which as soon as the first ebola case was discovered they took full advantage of and quarantined anyone they could find...unfortunately, they weren't quick enough....
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did Air Marshal Endanger United Passengers?

I'm trying to figure out what the guy did to provoke being attacked in such a bizarre manner in the first place. The usual demise for us Ugly Americans is a bullet or beheading. There's a lot missing from this story, at least for me.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'm trying to figure out what the guy did to provoke being attacked in such a bizarre manner in the first place. The usual demise for us Ugly Americans is a bullet or beheading. There's a lot missing from this story, at least for me.
There is a needle scam that goes sort of like this following a sudden jab: "you've been poisoned and if you want the antidote it will cost you ___."

I can't recall this scam ever being in play at an airport -- at least not at LOS airport. And this year? The Nigerian government security forces are very worried about militant outfits attacking places like the airport, more now than several years ago. Which makes me all the more surprised if this kind of violent scam was being run at the airport.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
Being stabbed with a syringe, the only really dangerous diseases I would worry about would be Hepatitis B, C or HIV.

There is no healthcare to speak of in Nigeria, so the best option is to board the plane and get home in order to get HIV prophylaxis and any vaccinations for Hepatitis. He is NOT going to go from being stabbed with a syringe to being contagious in a few hours time. It only works that way in movies.

Completely untrue on both counts. There is quality healthcare to speak of so boarding a passenger plane was not the best option.

Lagos has at least one first world clinic that I can cite. Its run by International SOS with a fully equipped ER, a crit care unit etc.
https://www.internationalsos.com/en/..._4011_3937.htm

Is healthcare for the average Nigerian worse than for the average American? YES. But please please please don't assume that just because its Nigeria all healthcare there is crap.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers

Aren't most people vaccinated against Hep B?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
Aren't most people vaccinated against Hep B?
Most people where?

Hepatitis vaccinations are readily available in Nigeria. Can't speak to the extent and nature of vaccination regimes in the area.

The FAM seemed more in a rush to stick to schedule to return to the US than anything else.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:15 pm

Cholera has an incubation period of 0.5-4.5 days — short enough to be a danger on flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.