Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tanja
I have read/seen that this is going to replace the normal passports. does that mean that I have to get a mobile phone for just this? I dont have one. Never had a need for one. If this is has to be done will airport help me?
The app replaces the CBP customs declaration form (6059B), not your passport.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
The app replaces the CBP customs declaration form (6059B), not your passport.
That is just for US citizents?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
That is just for US citizents?
From the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Mobile Passport Control Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Who can use Mobile Passport Control?

A: U.S. citizens and Canadian visitors can use Mobile Passport Control. Travelers must have an Apple iPhone or android device that can connect to the Internet or mobile network.

Q: Are Lawful Permanent Residents able to use Mobile Passport Control?

A: Not at this time, but CBP will announce expanded eligibility in the future.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:11 pm

Thank you . I dont have a mobile phone. Just trying to figure out is this is going to be the norm for everybody.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thank you . I got really worried there. Cause Sweden is thinking to replace passports with this also.
The Swedish government is not going to replace its passports with an app at any point in time in the next five years at least. What is being considered by the Swedish administration is a US-style IDENT database that enables for biometric confirmation of identity and citizenship at Swedish ports of entry/exit for Schengen with a BankID type system.

Eventually the US may go toward a use of IDENT type database to allow for passport-less biometric based entry into the US, but we are far away from MPC being used to do such a thing.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Swedish government is not going to replace its passports with an app at any point in time in the next five years at least. What is being considered by the Swedish administration is a US-style IDENT database that enables for biometric confirmation of identity and citizenship at Swedish ports of entry/exit for Schengen with a BankID type system.

Eventually the US may go toward a use of IDENT type database to allow for passport-less biometric based entry into the US, but we are far away from MPC being used to do such a thing.
How are they going to do that if you dont have a mobile phone?

Last edited by tanja; Apr 30, 2016 at 6:54 am
Old May 15, 2016, 1:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

DEN has it now too.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Anyone have any experience with wait times for the newly-unveiled MPC lines at EWR?

I don't have GE (denied without a stated reason, rare but it happens), so when traveling abroad I always try to fly home through ORD so I can use the 1-Stop CBP line. But I'm flying from TXL in a few weeks, and the best option was TXL>EWR on UA. This after I vowed never to fly home via EWR again, after a nightmare two-hour wait in March 2015.

Crossing my fingers that this will feel like GE lite. I don't mind if they grill me or rummage through my stuff, just don't want to wait in line!
Old May 30, 2016, 2:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Anyone have any experience with wait times for the newly-unveiled MPC lines at EWR?

I don't have GE (denied without a stated reason, rare but it happens), so when traveling abroad I always try to fly home through ORD so I can use the 1-Stop CBP line. But I'm flying from TXL in a few weeks, and the best option was TXL>EWR on UA. This after I vowed never to fly home via EWR again, after a nightmare two-hour wait in March 2015.

Crossing my fingers that this will feel like GE lite. I don't mind if they grill me or rummage through my stuff, just don't want to wait in line!
MPC@EWR has worked faster for members of my travel parties than GE@EWR on a substantial portion of our entries here in April and May. But keep in mind MPC requires a data connection at the appropriate window of time in order to be applicable for US and Canadian citizens' entries into the US.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
MPC@EWR has worked faster for members of my travel parties than GE@EWR on a substantial portion of our entries here in April and May. But keep in mind MPC requires a data connection at the appropriate window of time in order to be applicable for US and Canadian citizens' entries into the US.
Great to know. Our flight is in July, but I'm hoping given how new it is to EWR, few travelers will be aware of the option besides ourselves. Do I take your comment to mean MPC users are shunted to an entirely separate queue? I was under the impression I still had to chat with a CBP agent, and part of me worried I'd be stuck in exactly the same queue as everyone else, but with an app instead of a paper form.

As for the data connection, I was thinking I'd fill in the details either in the last hour of our flight, before the wifi shuts off, or when we touch down at EWR and taxi to the gate.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Orlando/MCO, Denver/DEN, Minneapolis/MSP and San Jose/SJC set up with the app.

Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
So if you were at GE member returning through EWR you'd suggest filling out the MPC info on your phone while taxiing to give you the option of using either GE or MPC, whichever line looks shorter?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just used it in Atlanta. Allowed me to skip the (longer) line of people lining up to scan passports in the ordinary kiosks. But then I had to stand for about five minutes in the post-kiosk line waiting to see the agent. Handed him the phone, he scanned it, asked me a few questions, no problem.

Note that there could be one significant downside to using the mobile app. If you are sent to secondary inspection, and the officer wants to search your phone, you can normally say "no" and just refuse to input your password.

But if you are using the mobile app, the secondary officer could conceivably ask "Did you use the mobile app, can I see your bar code?" Then you turn on the phone, enter your password, show him the bar code, and he keeps your phone and searches through everything.

My recommendation to anyone using the mobile app is show it to the primary inspection officer, but don't turn on your phone and input the password in secondary inspection for any reason. Alternatively, pull up your bar code before approaching the inspection area and save it as your lock screen. That way, when you hand over your phone, they don't have full access to it.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I just used it in Atlanta. Allowed me to skip the (longer) line of people lining up to scan passports in the ordinary kiosks. But then I had to stand for about five minutes in the post-kiosk line waiting to see the agent. Handed him the phone, he scanned it, asked me a few questions, no problem.

Note that there could be one significant downside to using the mobile app. If you are sent to secondary inspection, and the officer wants to search your phone, you can normally say "no" and just refuse to input your password.

But if you are using the mobile app, the secondary officer could conceivably ask "Did you use the mobile app, can I see your bar code?" Then you turn on the phone, enter your password, show him the bar code, and he keeps your phone and searches through everything.

My recommendation to anyone using the mobile app is show it to the primary inspection officer, but don't turn on your phone and input the password in secondary inspection for any reason. Alternatively, pull up your bar code before approaching the inspection area and save it as your lock screen. That way, when you hand over your phone, they don't have full access to it.
I have two iPhones with me during most trips, with captured screen images able to be sent from primary phone to secondary phone.

The lock screen approach is indeed a way to achieve much the same outcome with just one phone.

Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

The lock screen approach is indeed a way to achieve much the same outcome with just one phone.
One potential issue is that when I save the passport details and bar code as my lock screen, the "slide to unlock" bar that is superimposed on the screen covered a bit of the bar code, so I'm not sure they would be able to read the bar code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.