Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 42ranger
I have GE, and reading the prev 92 posts has helped me assess MP and GE. I'm inclined to want to try MP. BUT… I have a question about security - of my passport and other ID info. In this day and age I am a security skeptic! i) Who holds/stores and b) who can access this other than my iPhone and CBP when I send it to them while waiting entry? Can the app maker access this info? Why not? Anyone seen the actual code so we could know? Verbal assurances are [for me] weak. As my son-in-law notes, one of the most popular sites that helps collect business cards is owned by a chinese investor whose main backer is the chinese army. NOT saying this is the same, just wonder if anyone actually knows what the deeper rules embedded in the app are? Thanks, a helpful forum!
Here is what CBP says about privacy in regard to this:

Originally Posted by CBP
Q: Is the Mobile Passport Control App secure?

A: Yes, traveler’s passport information and answers to the customs declaration questions are submitted directly to CBP via secure encryption protocols. The information you enter on the app is securely transmitted to CBP which sends a response to the app generating the electronic receipt you show to the officer. The Mobile Passport Control app provides the option of storing your profile on your smartphone or tablet for future travel or deleting it after your trip.
But you can make of that CBP answer what you wish.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:53 am

Mobile Passport App Security And Privacy

Mobile Passport App has become very popular I can only read positive reviews from ordinary users. I would like to lay down some critical (and more pessimistic) points why should one stay away from using the app at least for now.

1 - It is being developed by a private company Airside Mobile LLC

You won't be able to find much information about the company and its history which goes back to year 2009 when it was founded. There are only a few people and you will not find much information about them either.

2 - There have been bugs recently

While I was not able to find a good detailed change log, from what I can see the app is currently being worked on. I do have doubts about its stability. Looks like the only testers are us.

3 - No independent party has done security audit

I can read bunch of mostly positive reviews from fellow travelers, nobody actually examined the app itself. If you know about something, please, post it here.

4 - It is a proprietary software, not an open source

One would think if an app is for free and with nothing hide, the source code would be published for anyone to see. After all it is sponsored by your tax money.

5 - You don't know what happens behind the curtain

The app is not open source and when it runs on your mobile device you have no idea what is going on. You let the government and a private company into your mobile device with your permission to use your camera and access to your file storage. The bottom line is you don't know what the app is actually doing on your local device, and you don't know whether the information is being sent to CBP only.

6 - It may get you through immigration faster not for much longer

The word about the app has not been spread greatly yet. Once more people learn about the app it will not matter whether you use it or not because the mobile dedicated lines will greatly increase. In the meanwhile you need to make a decision if you are okay with compromising your security and privacy.

My background is in IT security. I am not telling you not to install it. Rather I would like us to think twice before we get the app and I would like us to have a discussion here.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by parnass1
My background is in IT security. I am not telling you not to install it. Rather I would like us to think twice before we get the app and I would like us to have a discussion here.
Without commentary, more reading for those interested:

http://itbizadvisor.com/2016/06/is-m...ing-employees/

http://www.planetbiometrics.com/arti...t-control-app/
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
We haven't hear any news about Passport Mobile in Phoenix yet. What are taking too long? We have CBP at Sky Harbor terminal 4. We have customs & immigration into the basement.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
A plea for San Diego (SAN)

With daily BA direct LHR-SAN and a few Canadian/Mexican flights, I hope that SAN will be added soon - US's 8th largest city.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:15 pm

Hello, just joined FT, great forum. First post so hope doing this correctly - - couple questions about MPC app use at SFO. I have read thru all of this thread, and the MPC website FAQ's, can't quite nail down several points - - 1. is there wifi in the SFO arrivals area before getting to the MPC lines, or are there MPC zones available, to submit and get your receipt immediately after deplaning via wifi (I do not have US cell access )? I am coming in from NRT on an NH flight in May. 2. I have seen some FT posts here about the time stamp issue on the receipt, i.e. iPad set to Asian timezone. Does the receipt have hardcoded time issued from the issuing location? Major issue or workable? 3. Assume wise to come in with the paper form ready in case the system is out or problems with the processing, as I've seen in several posts? Thanks for any guidance on this.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Havy001
Hello, just joined FT, great forum. First post so hope doing this correctly - - couple questions about MPC app use at SFO. I have read thru all of this thread, and the MPC website FAQ's, can't quite nail down several points - - 1. is there wifi in the SFO arrivals area before getting to the MPC lines, or are there MPC zones available, to submit and get your receipt immediately after deplaning via wifi (I do not have US cell access )? I am coming in from NRT on an NH flight in May. 2. I have seen some FT posts here about the time stamp issue on the receipt, i.e. iPad set to Asian timezone. Does the receipt have hardcoded time issued from the issuing location? Major issue or workable? 3. Assume wise to come in with the paper form ready in case the system is out or problems with the processing, as I've seen in several posts? Thanks for any guidance on this.
1. There is some free wifi at the airport in the arrivals area too, but it doesn't always connect reliably.

2. Not sure, but the iOS devices can ordinarily have their time zone manually set by the user.

3. I carry a nearly completed paper declaration form still, and that is despite me being able to use the GE kiosks, MPC and the APC kiosks. I've had to use and replace those paper forms from time to time, as sometimes the GE kiosks were out of service or otherwise restricted.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
1. There is some free wifi at the airport in the arrivals area too, but it doesn't always connect reliably.

2. Not sure, but the iOS devices can ordinarily have their time zone manually set by the user.

3. I carry a nearly completed paper declaration form still, and that is despite me being able to use the GE kiosks, MPC and the APC kiosks. I've had to use and replace those paper forms from time to time, as sometimes the GE kiosks were out of service or otherwise restricted.
_____

Thank you very much. I usually come in thru DEN, last year used the kiosk for the first time, good system. I'll try SFO's MPC deal this year and see how it goes, paper copy at the ready just in case. Thanks again.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
Mobile Passport

Recently flew PVR to DFW and used the mobile passport app. From gate arrival until I cleared customs/immigration/baggage was a whopping 10 minutes! Is this normal? I have been considering Global Entry but why bother if mobile passport is that great.

Any advice?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
See this existing thread in Travel Safety & Security
Mobile Passport Control App
It's great if you can use it. It's not in every airport yet, so that's still a limitation if you're entering in airports where it can't yet be used.

It also can't be used at non-US airports with passport control, while Global Entry can.

Experiences say it can be hit or miss, depending on how the MPC line is staffed. If it's just one line with a bunch of people, still may be better to use the regular line or APC kiosks. We used APC kiosks coming back from Italy last year and it was super quick with no lines, whereas there was a line for MPC. Go figure.

I have GE and wouldn't rely solely on MPC as an alternative, but it's nice to have options, especially if you're traveling with someone who is not a GE member.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 23, 2017 at 8:47 am Reason: Remove circular link after the threads were merged
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Works great at IAD over several experiences.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HospitalityGrad
I have been considering Global Entry but why bother if mobile passport is that great.

Any advice?
Take a look at this thread:
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Originally Posted by HospitalityGrad
Recently flew PVR to DFW and used the mobile passport app. From gate arrival until I cleared customs/immigration/baggage was a whopping 10 minutes! Is this normal? I have been considering Global Entry but why bother if mobile passport is that great.

Any advice?
I haven't found GE Worth it for my travel patterns, and my wacky travel past a CBP agent would love to grill me on... If CBP wasn't using the mobile Xray on bags my Avianca flight from San Salvador-JFK I would have been able to do it that fast but I saw the X-ray truck on the ramp and knew it would be a longerwait for bags.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:17 pm

Is MPC available at JFK Terminal 1? I've seen references to Terminals 4 and 7.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Is there a list of airports published anywhere? The CBP site only says "eligible travelers arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Miami International Airport, Chicago O'Hare International Airport, and Seattle-Tacoma International Airport are able to use the application. MPC is expected to expand to more airports later this year"

And the Wiki above says top 20 airports, but LAX isn't even listed. I thought LAX was number 1 or 2 for international arrivals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.