Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Laptop and Tablet stolen from KIX United Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop and Tablet stolen from KIX United Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:21 pm

Sorry for your loss. But I appreciate the story to remind us all to be careful with our personal property, no matter where we are in the world, especially at UAL lounges.

A lot of credit card companies offer theft protection when the purchase was made on their card, if it wasn't too long ago the purchases were made. If you can, please inquire with the credit card companies you purchased it with. You also may need United to write up an incident report about the theft as proof of the loss. I'd also normally say report it to the police, but since it's overseas, that may be difficult.

I hope that might help.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
I was thinking the same thing.

Were the items physically inside your bag under some sort of secured flap? I once had my MacBook Air slip out my carryon's back pocket (open top) while in transit. I didn't notice (it doesn't weigh much) and I was lucky that it was quickly found still in the overhead bin following a short search at CDG.

I also think the subject line is a bit too specific. A better phrase might be: My laptop and tablet that I last saw in ???? weren't in my bag when I arrived at SFO.
Items were in backpack with a zip. I have informed United that it could be lost or stolen. But I think its stolen because even chargers are missing.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by nidsdel
Hi,
As you can tell from the title, my Laptop and Tablet was stolen from my bag on Osaka Airport United Lounge. I did not take my laptop or tablet out of the bag in the lounge. Probably when I went to restroom someone opened the bag and stole it. I realized my things were missing on SFO Airport.

I have already complained to United and they are checking with the lounge. Most likely they won't find it.

I am United 1K member, traveling on united flight from KIX to SFO in Business Class, paid by United miles and United Credit Card and the theft happened in United Lounge.
Does any of the above things make me eligible for any travel insurance where I can claim for the theft?
I already asked United Agent but she said insurance is only available for checked-in items. Just trying my luck here.
OMG! I always leave my ipad, bb, purse, out in open, on seat or small table and roller bag in United Club when I use rest room, go for coffee or water........YIKES, never again! I always found Japan so safe, especially since I usally travel solo .
Sorry for your lose and that uncomfortable feeling of not being able to trust anyone, any place!!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I would certainly notice the weight difference without my laptop and tablet. As mentioned above, are you sure it wasn't stolen in flight while you and the other passengers were sleeping? Could have happened if items were in the overhead. Little chance they'll be recovered unless you can activate some sort of tracking app/program and get lucky. If you can figure out the jurisdiction - maybe San Francisco - at least file a police report.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
OP, sorry for your loss, but I echo those who point out that, given the situation you've described, it's far more likely that your things were stolen on the flight than in the lounge.

In a lounge, you have large, bright, open areas with cameras and people coming and going at random. In a plane, you have no cameras with people in close proximity in a darkened cabin and bags out of sight, either in the overhead bin or under the seat. In addition, many people are sleeping or watching a movie and wouldn't notice anybody opening their bag.

Not to mention that thefts and attempted thefts on the plane are common enough that a few people here have even encountered this. Absent any info to the contrary, it seems much more likely that a fellow passenger pilfered the items sometime during the 10-hour fight.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Someone upthread mentioned tracking programs. OP didn't say what OS ... if Mac OS the "where is my iphone" app might/could be a help. We use it to check our iPads, Mac Airs, etc, etc. Oh BTW, will be at KIX in about 3 weeks ... IIRC, that Asuka(?) lounge is "acceptable" but hardly a garden spot.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:28 pm

Sorry about the loss.

Does your bag weigh the same with and without the laptop/tablet? How could you not tell the difference when you picked it up to board?

It is not a UA lounge, btw.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Sorry to hear about your experience, OP. I "lost" an envelope with foreign currency in my satchel, and I'm pretty sure it was "lost" while flying in biz on LX from ZRH to BKK. I didn't notice until I arrived in BKK so it's possible I lost it somewhere else. But during the flight, I remember hearing the distinctive Delta metal luggage tag noise as it clinks against metal -- A noise my bag made. I made a mental note of it but naively thought it was something else. It's really sad when an airplane or especially a lounge isn't safe for our belongings, when presumably we're amongst people with ample means.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:09 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Any tracking features on your laptop or tablet? Hoping you have an iPad with find my device turned on. Darn thieves...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would also see if there is a way to report it to the KIX Airport Police. It is a long long shot but:

1 - if this happens frequent enough, they might see some pattern and figure things out

2 - if this does not happen frequent enough, they might actually take the time to find any security footage that might help them figure things out

I would guess this is a big deal in Japan, especially at an airport lounge. Still, it is probably some dishonest dirty foreigner who did this and it would be a one-time deal for a transitting thief.

Hopefully your devices are password/encryption protected.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:24 pm

As I remember, a couple years ago, there was a group of thief in SIN whose flew frequently between SIN -HKG so they can steal pax items during flights. Even commuting FAs got their phones and tablets stolen from their bags. Just wonder if they have changed their routes. Were the OP connecting from somewhere or originating from KIX? I found Japanese are among the most honest people out there.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
If someone was really interested in pursuing this, surely the lounge has security cameras?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should check his homeowners/renters, CC, and, if this was a work trip, any policies which may be held by his employer. Before filing a claim on HO, make sure that the FMV of the lost property (not the replacement cost) makes it worth filing a claim, particularly in light of the deductible. Many carriers will jack your rates for a claim, so it may not be worth it.

OP may also find claims denial if he actually left the stuff lying unattended
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
My laptop is one-third of the weight of my brief bag. I can't imagine that one would not notice the difference in weight upon leaving the club.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Originally Posted by boss315:22546762

I caught someone trying to get to my carry on on a TATL flight....thank goodness I was awake..
What did you do?
I'm also curious to know the answer to this.

On TATL/TPAC, I personally put my carry-on in the bin upside-down, zipper-first, and board early so that it's over my head. Passport stays in the pocket facing the window. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but better paranoid than sent back to Canada at my own expense

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.