Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Rule on Walking Sticks / Trekking Poles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for the citation for me. I will follow the rule.
Old May 22, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
Dynamo Prime Stick (Cane, Walking Stick, Trekking Pole)

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Thanks moderator for moving my thread to the appropriate place. I'm looking for any updated information since the last post was in 17 and a lot has changed since then. I see both sides of the issue, and will be traveling through ORD at 4:30 am on a monday morning and then dfw to hawaii and I just dont want to have any tension. I also really dont like to check bags so trying to consider my options. Its also interesting that countries that are more used to hikers like NZ consider it perfectly normal to have a walking stick and have no issues at airports or on planes, and in the US we are subject to the whims of a screeners discretion even if there is no rule. OT, but a little rant.

for the last year and a half, over dozens of flights both domestic and international, I have carried on board one (1) Prime Stick described by mfg as a “lightweight walking cane”.
It does NOT have a carbide steel tip (like hiking /trekking poles do) under its rubber foot, so is not flagged as a weapon by the screener, and seems to meet TSA requirements for a Mobility Aid.

They are currently showing “unavailable” on AZN, but are available from the mfg for $65 at www.dynamome.com as of this writing.

i use it fully collapsed to 34” as a cane at the airport, at Security, and on board. Out of the airport environment a simple twist on the twist lock shaft extends it to any comfortable height up to 56” to also use it as a walking stick or trekking pole. I have used it to hike over rough terrain (Machu Picchu, etc) and cityscapes everywhere.

As delivered, it comes with a rather large (and heavy) flexible rubber foot, which exceeds my requirements. Fortunately the pole shaft is a standard 3/4” cane diameter and it accepts any 3/4” cane tip, available in any drug store, discount store or on line.
These standard tips are cheap, smaller, and lightweight; my Prime Stick with a replacement cane tip weighs in at 13oz compared to the mfg’s claimed 1lb total. The delivered large rubber foot can easily be removed by standing it up and squirting the shaft and foot with Windex type window cleaner as a lubricant and moving the handle in a circle to work the cleaner into the joint.

i have never gone through Security with 2 Prime Stick canes and a rollaboard. Let us know if that works!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.