Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Rule on Walking Sticks / Trekking Poles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Thank you for that explanation. I understood all that. That's why I suggested the OP chooses to use a shorter stick/cane for travelling, in order to avoid any potential hassles about whether or not his walking aid has to be checked. There's usually one jobsmith around, who will insist on enforcing the letter of the law.

FWIW, now I'm ageing, have two knee replacements and occasionally need a cane, I always make sure to allow extra time for security screening.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by celle
...The longer sticks used for hiking etc are hiking poles, not walking sticks, and they have to be checked.....
I've seen multiple examples of hiking poles (the kind with the rubber end caps that conceal a sharp metal tip) being allowed through security and carried planes. It always surprises me because the TSA website specifically disallows these as carryons.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My hiking/treking pole collapses to 34". It passed through Vegas TSA as a carryon two weeks ago.

Last edited by sonofzeus; Apr 26, 2016 at 12:10 pm Reason: Corrected length.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:06 am

We have opted for folding canes in lieu of telescoping hiking/walking sticks because the former fold up smaller than the latter. My main concern was where the things were going to end up being stored - but tucked inside my carryon, it will pose no problem to anyone.

The folding canes will not work for purpose quite as well as hiking sticks - the ends are not pointed - but I see no reason to impinge on what is possibly limited onboard storage space for such devices when unlike some, we don't need them all the time, only while hiking on steep slopes.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by celle
Not being from the US, I was confused about the terminology used, until someone explained partially. To me, a stick that you use because you have some disability and it helps you to walk is a walking stick, regardless of its length; a cane is a flimsy thing, often made of bamboo, and useless to assist with mobility. That's my perspective.
To my (US) English, a cane is one of two things:
a) a walking stick of height somewhere between hip and elbow, typically with a curved or T-shaped handle, which can be leaned on heavily
b) a long, thin stick used by blind people for navigation (my current guide cane is made of graphite, 6-part foldable; previous ones have been other light materials, not necessarily foldable at all. But I've never heard of a bamboo one)

Sense b is not typically built to withstand being leaned on; it's built to be as light and stiff as possible, to be easier to use for navigation.

In addition to my dedicated guide cane, I have two walking sticks — 3-piece collapsable, up to ~54" long, thin handle with a very strong fabric loop that I can put my full weight on. Before I got the new guide cane though, I had made an attachment to my walking sticks that lets me put a rolling ball type guide cane tip on it, so I could use it as a (fairly heavy) guide cane as well as a walking stick, as needed.

Typically "walking stick" (or "pole") in US English is only used for longer sticks (elbow to shoulder height) made for hiking (like mine), whereas the shorter, usually wooden or aluminum ones (e.g. candy cane shaped or the stereotype of a British fop) are called "canes".
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by simpleflyer
We have opted for folding canes in lieu of telescoping hiking/walking sticks because the former fold up smaller than the latter. My main concern was where the things were going to end up being stored - but tucked inside my carryon, it will pose no problem to anyone.

The folding canes will not work for purpose quite as well as hiking sticks - the ends are not pointed - but I see no reason to impinge on what is possibly limited onboard storage space for such devices when unlike some, we don't need them all the time, only while hiking on steep slopes.
My trekking poles collapse to 14". Unlike folding canes, they will work for hiking on steep slopes, which is what I use them for.

Last edited by chollie; Apr 26, 2016 at 2:26 pm
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Depends on the airport. I have had items tossed before I could object. I have never seen a locked disposal container. On more than one occasion, I have seen a TSO put something close to hand, but not tossed - like an unopened bottle of water - when the disposal bins were nearby.

Many items can't be mailed (unless you already have the packaging and postage with you). I have exited the sterile area to dispose of an item in the bathroom trash instead of 'surrendering' the item to the TSO for his/her personal use.
Several months ago, while flying out of PDX, my laptop bag was flagged for secondary screening. The agent pulled my magnetic-tipped phillips screwdriver out of the bag(which I have carried through that checkpoint at least 100 times), retrieved a ruler from a drawer, and said that it exceeded the maximum acceptable length for tools in a carryon. It was 8 3/4" - apparently the maximum is 8". I asked if I could remove the magnetic tip, which would knock it down to 7 1/2", but he wouldn't allow that. He gave me the choice of surrendering it, going back to the ticket counter and attempting to put it in my checked luggage, or mailing it back to myself.

I have sort of a sentimental attachment to this particular screwdriver, because it was issued to me when I started in my current career more than 25 years ago, so I wasn't going to throw it away. I felt like time was going to be too close to go back to the counter, so I opted for mailing.

There was a kiosk behind security, where the agent put my screwdriver in a bubble pouch and sealed it, then dropped it into a slot. A touch screen interface allowed my to enter my mailing address and credit card information, and 3 minutes later I was about $15 poorer, but my screwdriver was on its way home.

The service wasn't very fast - as I recall it took about 3 weeks to travel the 21 miles to my house, but I did get to (pay for the privilege of) keep(ing) my stuff.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:52 pm

I wonder what would have happened if you had left the checkpoint, tossed the magnetic tip, and returned with the shorter screwdriver.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder what would have happened if you had left the checkpoint, tossed the magnetic tip, and returned with the shorter screwdriver.
no reason to toss it - just put the tip in another part of the belongings separate from the screwdriver and reenter the checkpoint in a lane different from that particular screener.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
no reason to toss it - just put the tip in another part of the belongings separate from the screwdriver and reenter the checkpoint in a lane different from that particular screener.
I wouldn't risk it. If the original screener sees him and both parts of a previously-denied item are found, I think it could get ugly.

Mind you, I think the screener was being an idiot in the first place about the item, but he makes the rules.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Please let's get back on topic:
TSA Rule on Walking Sticks
Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:59 pm

i use an aluminium walking stick often, and didn't get into any issue. touch wood.
it is a simple long stick, no clutches nor anything steel on it.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Walking Stick - Can I pass thru TSA

I have a leki walking stick used for hiking. The stick has a point on the end but also has a rubber tip. It can be unscrewed into two pieces but I would rather take it on the plane if possible. I may have only carry on. Would that be a problem? I am traveling from ORD to Hawaii next month. Any guidance welcome.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks moderator for moving my thread to the appropriate place. I'm looking for any updated information since the last post was in 17 and a lot has changed since then. I see both sides of the issue, and will be traveling through ORD at 4:30 am on a monday morning and then dfw to hawaii and I just dont want to have any tension. I also really dont like to check bags so trying to consider my options. Its also interesting that countries that are more used to hikers like NZ consider it perfectly normal to have a walking stick and have no issues at airports or on planes, and in the US we are subject to the whims of a screeners discretion even if there is no rule. OT, but a little rant.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
TSA web site says walking sticks can't be carried on. No ambiguity or qualifications, it's a hard no.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...walking-sticks

Of course, a normal cane is a mobility assistance device, and can be carried aboard. But walking sticks don't seem to qualify.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ng/items/canes

Even canes still have to be screened.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...lity_type=1014

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.