Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

LA Times:TSA ends contract with Rapiscan, maker of full-body scanners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA Times:TSA ends contract with Rapiscan, maker of full-body scanners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 pm

Wait. So TSA is canning Rapiscan because they couldn't deliver on an agreement, but exactly which agreement has TSA ever delivered on? Public comment before nude-o-scope installation? (No.) All FOIA requests? (No.) Upholding the Constitution? (No.) Effective airport security? (No. FWIW, I got something through a checkpoint last year that should not have gone through, thanks to a gaping hole in the process.) I submit that TSA has violated agreements with me (a citizen and taxpayer), and I would like to can the whole agency.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
...But once every airport has them, then TSA WILL be buying maintenance contracts on them, and paying for software upgrades, add-ons, and bug fixes, in perpetuity. It's a win-win for both the agency, who gets to spew a line of cowflop about how they "continuously update their scanners to the most cutting-edge detection technology", and for the manufacturer, who gets carloads of money to install these upgrades and fix scanners that someone leaned on and broke the Gumby panel...
I am going to say that raw image data will be saved and will be convertible to humanly viewable images because that is how you monitor the accuracy of the ATR. The raw image data will also be saved because it must be available for review should a terrorism incident occur. I think it will be saved long term because some government agency will be looking for a way to mine the raw image data for other purposes so as to provide more validation of the government's investment in the technology. (You could call the last item "research" if you like.)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by halls120
The rumor running around DC is that TSA was concerned about the levels of radiation the backscatter machines emitted - but they will never admit it.
But now there will be a different brand of back scatter coming, so that can't be it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by javabytes
Or worse, now that privacy concerns are "alleviated", the potential for the road we're on to lead to a no-opt-out policy a la UK is higher.
Was there not a court ruling that the scanners didn't breach the 4th amendment because there was an option available to not go through them?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I am going to say that raw image data will be saved and will be convertible to humanly viewable images because that is how you monitor the accuracy of the ATR. The raw image data will also be saved because it must be available for review should a terrorism incident occur. I think it will be saved long term because some government agency will be looking for a way to mine the raw image data for other purposes so as to provide more validation of the government's investment in the technology. (You could call the last item "research" if you like.)
I'm not paranoid enough to say that this will happen or that it is happening, but there is no denying that it could happen. The machines are more than capable of data storage and transfer, of both raw scan return data and compiled images. The Orlando courthouse incident a few years ago proves that, as does the mere existence of sample images from the machines on both the manufacturer's and TSA's web sites - if the images can't be transmitted, how do they get on the web sites? Obviously, they CAN be.

I am paranoid enough, however, to look at TSA's continuous assertion that "the images are not saved" and read it with a government NewSpeak filter.

In other words, they said the images wouldn't be saved, and they might actually be serious about that, but they never said anything about the raw scan data from which the images are created in the first place. THAT little chunk of binary bits could easily be saved on every machine from every scan going back to initial deployment, and TSA would not have even lied about it, except by omission - that data, if it is saved, can easily be used to recreate the full-res images of any scan ever performed by the machines, without privacy filters or intentional de-resing.

It could happen, in theory. And that's always been a privacy concern to me.

Originally Posted by Himeno
Was there not a court ruling that the scanners didn't breach the 4th amendment because there was an option available to not go through them?
I don't think there have been any court rulings specifically on whole body imaging, or on the "enhanced pat down" sexual assault. However, previous court decisions established the administrative search exception to the 4th Amendment being completely contingent on the ability of a person to totally avoid the search by simply not flying.

I don't recall hearing of any court rulings on the Constitutionality of any specific search methodology, at least not during the TSA era. But I may have missed or forgotten something.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The rumor running around DC is that TSA was concerned about the levels of radiation the backscatter machines emitted - but they will never admit it.
?? But why now?

TSA has thoroughly 'debunked' all concerns about radiation (routine or via mis-calibration or malfunction) and has been successful if refusing to allow independent testing or even machine-posted dosimeters at the checkpoints.

What changed? And so suddenly?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:00 am

From the WaPo piece:

'Until those new machines are in place, one terrorism security expert said, the capacity of checkpoints will be diminished. The TSA said it had not determined how long it would take to have the replacement machines up and running.

“You can assume until then that you will have a reduction in security,” said Rafi Ron, a former Israeli security operative who works as a consultant in McLean. “That will require a manual pat-down, which is not well accepted by the public, for good reason.”'

Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I suppose neither Chertoff or Pistole are losing any sleep over this.
Why should they? There is no personal responsibility or liability for their decisions in these matters. The only time there would be personal responsibility is if an attack happened and some congresscritter excoriated them for "not doing enough". "Out of an abundance of caution" really means "We'll never get punished for doing too much".
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold
delete
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
New xray scanners are being bought. The only difference is that the new xray scanners will have privacy software.
Once they are bought and installed someone please let us know how to identify these machines. I will go back to opting out wherever they are used.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
?? But why now?

TSA has thoroughly 'debunked' all concerns about radiation (routine or via mis-calibration or malfunction) and has been successful if refusing to allow independent testing or even machine-posted dosimeters at the checkpoints.

What changed? And so suddenly?
You already identified it as a perfect confluence of events, to which I'd add a second Obama term, which gives them time to quietly hide Rapiscan's failures, and quell AFGE's pressure - I have to believe someone inside finally figured out that the stonewalling would eventually crumble. This way, the details of Rapiscan's failures and the real story on radiation leakage never see the light of day.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
Once they are bought and installed someone please let us know how to identify these machines. I will go back to opting out wherever they are used.
http://as-e.com/products-solutions/p.../smartcheck-ht

http://as-e.com/products-solutions/p...uct/smartcheck
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:13 pm

You already identified it as a perfect confluence of events, to which I'd add a second Obama term, which gives them time to quietly hide Rapiscan's failures, and quell AFGE's pressure - I have to believe someone inside finally figured out that the stonewalling would eventually crumble. This way, the details of Rapiscan's failures and the real story on radiation leakage never see the light of day.
(bolding mine)

This is the real missing puzzle piece for me. Who finally sat up and decided that bailing on Rapiscan was preferable to continued stone-walling (something that TSA excels at, with Congressional and Executive impunity)?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
(bolding mine)

This is the real missing puzzle piece for me. Who finally sat up and decided that bailing on Rapiscan was preferable to continued stone-walling (something that TSA excels at, with Congressional and Executive impunity)?
Probably someone who finds doing time in a federal prison not to their liking.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The Rapiscan Backscatter Whole Body Imagers are being replaced with Whole Body Imagers from two companies, one of which makes Backscatter Whole Body Imagers.

Any belief that TSA is not going to X-Ray the public before proving the safety of these devices is not well founded.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-airports.html
TSA has contracted with L-3, Smiths Group Plc (SMIN) and American Science & Engineering Inc. (ASEI) for new body-image scanners, all of which must have privacy software. L-3 and Smiths used millimeter-wave technology. American Science uses backscatter.
Originally Posted by mre5765
But now there will be a different brand of back scatter coming, so that can't be it.
The exact wording of the statement from Bloomberg is fascinating. TSA have some sort of contractual arrangement with three companies, not necessarily the same arrangement for all three, and it's for new machines which "must have" (implied future tense) privacy software.

What it does NOT say is that TSA have agreed to purchase/deploy scanners from all three companies. Nor does it say that all three companies have scanners now which meet TSA's requirements.

From the links to AS&E provided by Boggie Dog a few posts up from here, it appears that AS&E currently has the so-called "chalk outline" similar to the original Rapiscan machine.
Privacy-enhanced SmartCheck HT creates an image that looks like a chalk outline of the passenger with potential threats outlined, with information to identify the nature and location of threats, but does not reveal facial features, nor anatomical detail.
Curious that they specifically exclude facial features. Look at the pictures and decide for yourself, but it's certainly no MMW-ATR type Gumby figure.

It also says:
The SmartCheck HT system creates only the privacy-enhanced images, and the images cannot be printed, stored, exported or transmitted. The images are automatically erased after review by the operator, who is located in a remote, secure area away from the screening process. This also ensures that the security analyst does not see and is not able to identify the person being screened.
This is the same so-called "privacy" protections that the Rapiscan units had: "it's just a chalk outline", "the images can't be stored" and the image-viewing screener is in another room, so they can't see you IRL.

What that implies to me is that AS&E has not yet developed the "privacy software" that is available for the MMW, and further, may run into the same technical problems in doing so.

It is possible that TSA are keeping AS&E on the books as a potential supplier, perhaps to create a sense of competition for the MMW suppliers, and perhaps to diffuse the claims that Rapiscan is being dropped because of the x-ray health risk.

(It's also possible that the management of TSA is dumber than a bag of hair, and still believes that the x-ray scanner is harmless and can be made to work with ATR. I'm not discounting this option.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.