Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

LA Times:TSA ends contract with Rapiscan, maker of full-body scanners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA Times:TSA ends contract with Rapiscan, maker of full-body scanners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Delta Gold, HH ◊, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Force TSA to feel your up. Make their job as difficult as possible.
A couple of squeaky balls in your pants should liven up the pat down
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:28 pm

I would seriously doubt this has a thing to do with privacy. Congress doesn't care about your privacy. Obama doesn't care about your privacy. The TSA doesn't care about your privacy. What I suspect is the radiation levels emitted by these machines is much higher than they originally expected/told the public. So instead of waiting for a whistle-blower to expose this, they will simply rotate them out. "Privacy" is a convenient excuse.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ibdsux
I would seriously doubt this has a thing to do with privacy. Congress doesn't care about your privacy. Obama doesn't care about your privacy. The TSA doesn't care about your privacy. What I suspect is the radiation levels emitted by these machines is much higher than they originally expected/told the public. So instead of waiting for a whistle-blower to expose this, they will simply rotate them out. "Privacy" is a convenient excuse.
Then why would TSA buy more Backscatter Whole Body imagers, the only difference being the new company supposedly has privacy software?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
In case you didn't notice my location, I will be flying from London, UK. Opting out is punishable by refusal of access to the sterile area.
Didn't notice. Well, if you get over here Opt Out and make a TSA employees day.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
In a detail provided by a similar story in Bloomberg we have:

Congress has access to the actual images. They know. They insisted on the changes. The denials of TSA, if there still are any on this topic, are no more plausible than the assertions of innocence from a convicted criminal who was caught in the act.

The benefit of this whole farce is that it will not be politically possible, IMO, for a generation if not longer, to use machines of similar or even better technology on the public. The electronic strip search idea just won't fly. Since the think tanks studying this issue for the FAA knew the likely response of the American public as far back as the 1990's, it is unforgivable for TSA to have pulled this stunt in the face of every indication that it was not acceptable to the people. They tried to ram it down our throats by force because of the power they had.
Actually Congress didn't need to see the images, just hear the outcry of those who felt that way. It's something I've said on other forums all along, if you're pissed about what the TSA does flood congress's offices and it will stop.

As to the electronic strip search, it is continuing, they just can't see the body now. The L3 machine has a screen with an outline and the detected object shows up on the area of the body.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Here is the CNN Breaking News article:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/18/travel...ers/index.html

Hooray--no more backscatter machines! The health issue is a much bigger one for me than privacy. I feel so bad for those TSA workers who are exposed to so much radiation standing near those machines all day, especially pregnant officers.

I hope the government will demand (and receive) its money back from Rapiscan, the manufacturer.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:28 pm

Interesting

The TSA will remove all 174 backscatter scanners from the 30 airports they're used in now. Another 76 are in storage. It has 669 of the millimeter wave machines it is keeping, plus options for 60 more, TSA spokesman David Castelveter said.

Not all of the machines will be replaced. Castelveter said that some airports that now have backscatter scanners will go back to having metal detectors. That's what most airports used before scanners were introduced.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:30 pm

Interesting

Not all of the machines will be replaced. Castelveter said that some airports that now have backscatter scanners will go back to having metal detectors. That's what most airports used before scanners were introduced.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:36 pm

I would say this is a step in the right direction if movement were continue. However, I'm glad.

I agree with the poster about recouping money, but that's another pipe dream.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ibdsux
...which is the only reason why I make them pat me down. I couldn't care less if they could see my generic gonads. Well, that and the general hilariousness when they say every 20 seconds: "And now sir, we are moving over here. Do I have your permission...?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by bigmac3011
So, TSA.... if *some* airports can be WTMD-only, why can't *all* airports be WTMD-only?

I know... I know... SSI... layers... got it....
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by bigmac3011
I'm curious what will happen at the all-backscatter sites. ORD use to be all backscatter, did they switch over to the MMW? What about LAX? I also wonder about airports that just got the backscatters recently, like all of the bigger airports in North Dakota. These were so heralded as the latest and greatest things when they were installed in Grand Forks and Bismarck. I told some of the locals of the dangers and inadequacies of the machines, I was looked at as if I was a terrorist. Some people are so naive that it is dangerous.

Last edited by VelvetJones; Jan 18, 2013 at 5:54 pm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
You folks who posted excerpts from the article missed the most important takeaways, although you did allude to it:...

TSA and their blogger Bob said *wasn't* a naked image. Guess TSA has been lying all along.
I guess I was too subtle in post #2 where I said:
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
B.. b.. b.. but... from the very beginning, Blogdad Bob and his friends insisted that it was a "chalky outline", a "fuzzy negative", "safe for a kindergarten", and that the passengers' privacy was absolutely, 100% protected already. "It's not a naked image", they chanted in unison, again and again.

Do you think he was................. lying?
Originally Posted by RussianTexan
And is that where they hid the Ark of the Covenant?
That's the one.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:03 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm. Once the backscatter x-ray scanners are removed, maybe the DCCA will revisit the EFF's FOIA request. The Supreme Court has already partially debunked the myth of "high 2", and the SSI argument is diminished.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Unfortunately, this may help the TSA suppress dissent. Some people, for whatever reasons, would opt out of the backscatter but not the MMW, so opt outs will now go down and public acceptance of body scanners as a whole will increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.