Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre not for International

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Last month I had an international itinerary, all on one ticket, and to my surprise i got PreCheck before a domestic segment connecting to international. AFAIK this is not supposed to happen.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Reply from TSA after asking twice. First answer was just an explanation of the program. Some bot didn't bother to read & understand my query.

TSA has received comments and suggestions on this issue from other travelers. We have identified this issue, and we are determining the appropriate action to address this concern.

As changes and enhancements to aviation security are implemented, TSA publicizes updates in local and national media, as well as on its website at www.tsa.gov to aid travelers.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:18 pm

TSA Pre not available for international but rather domestic only is, again, bureaucratic silliness. We are still certified "trusted traveler" no matter where we go. Why is going from New York to Paris different than New York to Miami? Nothing.

Inbound the reason could be they worry that you are bringing something from the outside, and therefore they bar you from using the privileged line when you're back home on connecting flight. Again this is utter silliness. Are we "trusted" traveler or not? Or are they trying to say even they don't trust their "trusted" traveler?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The issue is not whether you're trusted in the U.S. It's whether the U.S. screening complies with the international standards expected by other countries in which you are arriving or, more important, transiting.

I agree it's silly, but in theory you are not being screened sufficiently to give, say, Germany comfort that you're not carrying something you shouldn't to Frankfurt and then onto a connecting flight within Europe.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by drewguy
The issue is not whether you're trusted in the U.S. It's whether the U.S. screening complies with the international standards expected by other countries in which you are arriving or, more important, transiting.

I agree it's silly, but in theory you are not being screened sufficiently to give, say, Germany comfort that you're not carrying something you shouldn't to Frankfurt and then onto a connecting flight within Europe.
Every time I've connected from an international flight to another flight (either international or domestic), I've had to reclear security as part of the transfer process.

Where are people transitting and not going through security again?

I want to connect at that airport!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Every time I've connected from an international flight to another flight (either international or domestic), I've had to reclear security as part of the transfer process.

Agree.

Moreover, "regular" security in Europe (Asia, Australia, the Middle East...) is not that much more rigorous than "trusted" PreCheck screening in the US: there's no Nude-o-scope, no need to remove shoes or (often) jackets, no hands in underwear or aggressive patdowns.

The only real difference between PreCheck and security in other countries would be removing liquids and laptops from bags, and not even that in some countries.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

The issue is outbound . . . if you connect, say, DEN-ORD-CDG you don't pass through security again in ORD.

No, this explanation does not answer why if you fly CDG-ORD-DEN, and you pass through security in ORD, why pre-check doesn't work there.

I'm not justifying it, just providing the apparent rationale.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
TSA Pre not available for international but rather domestic only is, again, bureaucratic silliness. We are still certified "trusted traveler" no matter where we go. Why is going from New York to Paris different than New York to Miami? Nothing.

Inbound the reason could be they worry that you are bringing something from the outside, and therefore they bar you from using the privileged line when you're back home on connecting flight. Again this is utter silliness. Are we "trusted" traveler or not? Or are they trying to say even they don't trust their "trusted" traveler?
I'm not justifying their process, but it is important to point out that it is really a trusted trip, not trusted traveler program. When the program got started, they used your GE/frequent flyer status and other factors (destination, etc) to calculate a risk score for each trip. A low risk score meant you got PC for that trip. Whether they still do risk calculations is not clear. However, it is still very clear that it is not a membership program. That is, you are not a trusted traveler in any real sense.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by drewguy

Which is a certain amount of hogwash as the US browbeat other countries into adopting screening standards that are more rigorous than most other countries use.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Which is a certain amount of hogwash as the US browbeat other countries into adopting screening standards that are more rigorous than most other countries use.
The issue is that other countries would be accepting pre-check people that are vetted by some obscure, internal USA-government process. Zero transparency. Terrible idea for the EU to accept pre-check pax.
Old May 1, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
The issue is that other countries would be accepting pre-check people that are vetted by some obscure, internal USA-government process. Zero transparency. Terrible idea for the EU to accept pre-check pax.
The passengers still go through screening that is at least as rigorous as most EU airports employ. WTMD, bag x-ray, random pat-down. Very few EU airports using body scanners (except for US flights).

There isn't much transparency to the TSA's current process.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

PTY, for one. SAL too, I believe.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The passengers still go through screening that is at least as rigorous as most EU airports employ. WTMD, bag x-ray, random pat-down. Very few EU airports using body scanners (except for US flights).

There isn't much transparency to the TSA's current process.
This reply is dead on.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
PreCheck is Soon to Expand to International

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2013...ional-flights/
Old May 12, 2013, 3:05 am

News of the week.

Our PDX -> AMS boarding passes were marked TSEpre and we were allowed thru. The TSA agent said they had just received notification that TSApre is now allowed for international.

(and of course I missed the post above this one...)

Just confirming it's true!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.