TSA Pre not for International

Old Dec 28, 12, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4MM
TSA Pre not for International

I assume this is the wrong forum, but can not find the correct one.

Why is TSA Pre not usable for international flights? Will it be in the reasonable future? PITA.
Old Dec 28, 12, 4:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The correct forum would be Practical Travel Safety Issues as this is not specific to United Airlines; I'll move this post for you.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old Dec 28, 12, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My assumptions is that it has to do with international travel regulations that we made other countries agree to in the name of fighting the terrorists.
Old Dec 28, 12, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
My assumptions is that it has to do with international travel regulations that we made other countries agree to in the name of fighting the terrorists.
I seriously doubt that Honduras, Bonaire, or Grand Cayman (all of which I fly to dive) care about pre-check since their regular security is a pre-check clone.
Yet I get the scope and grope when outbound. I suspect us "trusted travelers" would never make mischief on a purely domestic itinerary.
Old Dec 28, 12, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While those don't others may and therefore they do the only domestic until possibly an entire area accepts it. Then it will be Mexico, Canada, Caribbean followed by EU......
Old Dec 28, 12, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Yeah, issue is ability to transit in other countries' airports without going through screening that complies with their standards (e.g., EU).
Old Dec 28, 12, 11:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
While those don't others may and therefore they do the only domestic until possibly an entire area accepts it. Then it will be Mexico, Canada, Caribbean followed by EU......
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Yeah, issue is ability to transit in other countries' airports without going through screening that complies with their standards (e.g., EU).
It will be interesting to see if the TSA is even talking to any other countries about that. The fact that Canadian Nexus members were just included is a hopeful sign to me.

This shouldn't be that big of a deal, I hope. If only because the standard for PreCheck screening should be irrelevant for any country where you have to clear Customs and Immigration upon arrival and then re-clear security (using the destination country's process) in order to have access to the sterile part of the airport for an onward flight. I acknowledge that they still need to formally agree to that, but other than some concerns about the inbound flight while in the air, I'm hopeful this would make sense. Anyway, crossing my fingers for adding international destinations soon (the selfish part of me wants Canada first, but I don't get to decide, I'll bet).
Old Dec 29, 12, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
The other part that needs to be fixed ASAP is if one comes back to the US from overseas, clears C&I, then needs to reclear TSA security for a domestic leg. Currently, that is also ineligible.
Old Dec 29, 12, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
The other part that needs to be fixed ASAP is if one comes back to the US from overseas, clears C&I, then needs to reclear TSA security for a domestic leg. Currently, that is also ineligible.
Yes, I had that hassle just yesterday. Fortunately the line wasn't so bad, but the belt and shoe removal is annoying, plus the NoS.
Old Dec 29, 12, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
I got Pre on my Nov I-D connection at LAX.
Old Dec 29, 12, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
Please keep comments to practical matters.

Discussion items belong in the..Policy Debate Forum.

thanks

squeakr

Co Mod TS/S
Old Dec 30, 12, 5:06 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I got Pre on my Nov I-D connection at LAX.
How did you book this connection? If you booked through an (online or in-person) agency, it's possible you were on two separate tickets.
Old Dec 30, 12, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Slightly OT, but:

Recently departing from SEA on an international flight.

Approach the elite lane, show BP to gatekeeper, she OKs it and directs me to hand it to the TSO stationed there (note: Pre is not currently available at this checkpoint). I say "I'm not eligible, I'm flying international".

Doesn't matter - TSO says I won't enter this lane until she has scanned my BP. She scans it, no surprise, *fail*, looks at the BP and says 'international, not eligible'.

Then I am allowed to proceed in the elite lane. (To be clear - this is at the entry to the elite line leading to the TDC - this TSO is NOT the TDC). WTH???

(Last time I flew through SEA, a few months ago, domestic itinerary, same checkpoint, same set-up. The TSO scanned my BP, I was cleared, she directed me to another checkpoint where Pre is available. I said 'no thanks' (I already had airport socks on, shoes off, jacket off and stowed, kippie bag out, no time savings for me to go to another checkpoint, farther from my gate, and get in line all over again).
Old Dec 31, 12, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
How did you book this connection? If you booked through an (online or in-person) agency, it's possible you were on two separate tickets.
Single reservation through UA, but it was different partners on the I and D leg so it's possible it was multiple tickets.
Old Apr 27, 13, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
The TSA pre FAQ confirms this of course. I just sent them an email asking them to explain why I am trusted when I enter the US using my global entry status, but am not trusted when I leave?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: