Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying soon but i have no id

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Thx guys and im located in texas im not sure if we can leave with id the same day
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:19 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Regarding passports... A first time application for a US passport requires that one show up in person. This can be done at an Passport Acceptance Facility (e.g. a post office).

If you apply for a passport without a primary ID (driver's license, old passport, or other government ID; I doubt that school ID counts) you must have several pieces of secondary identification (see the list) and an identifying witness.

There are two ways of speeding up the process. Getting expedited processing speeds things up, but still takes a week or more, especially for a first passport (I think). No documentation of immediate travel is required for this.

One can also get a passport within a few days or less in person at a passport agency (or through an expediter for even more $$). This can be an annoying process and requires evidence of travel (or other immediate need).

Originally Posted by donnyb
One thing they ask for is some verification of your address, like a utility bill or other bill, cell phone bill, or receipt that has both your name and address.
A checkbook with unused checks that have your name & address pre-printed on them. A health insurance card with your name on it. Something you could not fake.
These sound like things that would fall into one of two categories:
  • I would not be carrying it (e.g. utility bill, checkbook).
  • It would have been in my wallet (e.g. health insurance ID card).

Things that I might have would include a hotel checkout folio, but that, as a plain printed piece of paper, would fail the last test:

Photocopies of documents are worthless, they cannot accept them.
Why not? If they are using outside databases to verify the info, what does it matter? It's not like forging a utility bill would alter the databases in question.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: AK, DL,UA
"One thing they ask for is some verification of your address, like a utility bill or other bill, cell phone bill, or receipt that has both your name and address.
A checkbook with unused checks that have your name & address pre-printed on them. A health insurance card with your name on it. Something you could not fake."
These sound like things that would fall into one of two categories:

* I would not be carrying it (e.g. utility bill, checkbook).
* It would have been in my wallet (e.g. health insurance ID card).

Things that I might have would include a hotel checkout folio, but that, as a plain printed piece of paper, would fail the last test:

Quote:
"Photocopies of documents are worthless, they cannot accept them."

Why not? If they are using outside databases to verify the info, what does it matter? It's not like forging a utility bill would alter the databases in question.

ralfp, I'm just telling you what was told to us and what they asked for to help with ID. I cannot comment on the logic. We had photocopies of her DL and passport and they didn't even want to look at them.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ21
Thx guys and im located in texas im not sure if we can leave with id the same day
Get to the DMV ASAP and get a non-driver ID (check the TX DMV website to see what documents are required). If they issue them on the spot, then great, but they may mail it to you and with a 2 week time frame, the sooner you get to the DMV and allow more time for it to arrive in the mail, the better.

In Missouri, if you walk into a DMV with 11 bucks, proof of citizenship and proof of residency, you walk out with a non-driver ID. Maybe Texas is the same.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:27 pm

As others have said check online for the required documents and get to the nearest DMV office ASAP. Granted it's been a good 15 years ago but we had to do this for my brother when he was in grade school so he had ID for a flight. IIRC my parents just had to have a copy of his birth certificate and SS card.

A quick google search found this:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...forLicense.htm

The form is the same for a DL or just an ID. It looks like a copy of your birth certificate and your actual social security card would be enough. If you have something else with your name and address (something from your school maybe) it might not hurt to bring it too.

edit: I should have also said we were living in Iowa at the time but even if they don't give you the actual card they should give you a temp card. Whether or not the TDC will take it is a whole 'nother story.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by TSORon
There is a system called an IVCC check that can validate your identity, but it takes some time.
What does IVCC stand for, Identification Verification Cross Check?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cool Forget the political rant and bring what you can

DHS uses both commercially-available and government databases to match identity for pax who can't produce valid ID. The more you can provide, the faster the system works. Utility bills, national magazines with a mailing address printed on them, Social Security card, birth certificate.

Don't be paranoid about showing this information because it's simply a match of what TSA will see (or the TSO will have read back to him/her).

On a busy day, it can take a while, but if you give yourself an extra 30 mins. you should be fine.

However - Given that most States offer a non-driver's ID on the spot, it's worth pursuing that option unless your State still insists on mailing.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
What does IVCC stand for, Identification Verification Cross Check?
Honestly, I have no idea.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
According to previous threads it stands for

Identity Verification Call Center

A job description for the Supervisory Security Assistant includes the description of

If you are selected for this position, you will serve as a Supervisory Security Assistant in the Identity Verification Call Center (IVCC) for the Office Security Operations (OSO), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS). You will be responsible for supervising, directing, planning, and carrying out a wide range of activities in support of the IVCC.

Duties include but are not limited to:

Supervising a staff of security assistants who perform regular, recurring, and routine tasks based on established policies,
procedures, and guidelines.

Overseeing the research and verification of personal information received at the IVCC in response to requests from airports to resolve access issues with travelers who have insufficient identification.

Performing passenger identity verification screening within the IVCC as an extension of Travel Document Checker (TOC) functions for airport checkpoints nationwide for individuals with insufficient or no proper identification.

Gathering information on the passenger and through access of automated systems, determining if the information can be validated. Upon validation, clearing the passenger to proceed into the sterile area.

Providing direct, mission-critical responses to resolve real-time inquiries for the purpose of allowing the traveling public with insufficient or no identification into sterile areas of the airport.

Utilizing vetting and verification software and databases to gather and evaluate passenger facts, and recommend appropriate risk/threat determinations to resolve travel document situations at checkpoints.

Applying standard operating procedures in coordinating information verification requests and conducting information retrieval from agency databases.

Gathering and evaluating data from a variety of available sources with the intent to identify individuals.

Supervisory duties include directing the work of subordinate employees at the organizational unit level performing a variety of routine projects/program tasks based on establish~d policies, procedures, and guidelines. This includes setting priorities, assigning tasks, monitoring and evaluating performance, coaching and developing employee capabilities, approving leave, and taking or recommending corrective/disciplinary action, as appropriate.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:36 pm

This thread really illustrates the absurdity of worrying about somebody's ID at a checkpoint.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Often1
Utility bills, national magazines with a mailing address printed on them, Social Security card, birth certificate.
There is no need to travel with, and give TSA employees access to, sensitive documents such as Social Security cards and birth certificates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.