Flying soon but i have no id

Old Dec 6, 11, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Flying soon but i have no id

Hello I was just wondering if there is anything i need to do or can do in the next two weeks to find some type of acceptable identification to increase the chance of me catching my flight the only thing i have is a school id pretty much and im 18.
Old Dec 6, 11, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You could go to the DMV and apply for a state ID. It won't come in 2 weeks, but they will give you a temporary paper ID to use in the mean time.

However, I think you should be fine since you're 18. Just tell them that you don't have any other form of ID since you don't drive.
Old Dec 6, 11, 11:09 pm

Arrive an hour earlier than you normally would, and tell them you don't have an ID. They'll ask a couple of questions and make you fill out some paperwork, but you'll still be able to catch your flight.
Old Dec 7, 11, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
You could get a passport and pay an extra $100 to have it expedited. If you live near a passport agency (e.g., San Francisco) they will get it to you same day. If you have to use mail, I believe turnaround is under 2 weeks.
Old Dec 7, 11, 6:35 am

Programs: UA,AA,SPG
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest View Post
You could get a passport and pay an extra $100 to have it expedited. If you live near a passport agency (e.g., San Francisco) they will get it to you same day. If you have to use mail, I believe turnaround is under 2 weeks.
This is only if you have a paid ticket for an international flight. This won't work for domestic.
Old Dec 7, 11, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This can depend on the state of residence. AFAIK we do not know where the OP lives.

ADDED. This refers to post #2 about DMV and nondriver ID cards.
Old Dec 7, 11, 6:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Here in VA you can go to the DMV and get a state issued ID. It costs $10 and comes in the mail within two weeks. Chances are your state has something similar. You need birth certificate and proof of residency. You might need your parents to go with you. Do it quickly and avoid the chance you're denied boarding.
Old Dec 7, 11, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 7Continents View Post
This is only if you have a paid ticket for an international flight. This won't work for domestic.
There are refundable international tickets, award tickets can be cancelled for free by some elites on some airlines, some airlines let you cancel within 24 hours of purchase, etc.
Old Dec 7, 11, 7:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Where do you live?

Here if you walk into one of the DVM offices that processes the Non Driver ID's with the necessary documentation and $22.50, you walk out with an ID, there is no waiting period, etc.

If that's not an option for you, you can fly without an ID, just need to allow some extra time so they can do what they need to do to try and verify you are who you say you are.

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.
Old Dec 7, 11, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, National Emerald Club, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Where do you live?

Here if you walk into one of the DVM offices that processes the Non Driver ID's with the necessary documentation and $22.50, you walk out with an ID, there is no waiting period, etc.
The same is the case with Chicago too. With the necessary documentation, your Illinois state ID is issued on the spot.

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
If that's not an option for you, you can fly without an ID, just need to allow some extra time so they can do what they need to do to try and verify you are who you say you are.

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.
Did not know about that! You always learn something new at FT
Old Dec 7, 11, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 7Continents View Post
I've gotten a passport expedited twice and have never been asked for an international itinerary. YMMV. Either way, you could price out an itinerary, submit it to the passport agency, and "change your mind" about flying once you have the passport in hand.
Old Dec 7, 11, 12:43 pm

As a practical matter, school ID should be OK 99% of the time. You should arrive early, but an hour ahead is very conservative. It's likely that the person checking IDs will have to call for a supervisor. Note that because of your age, if they have to go through the ID verification process, it may fail because you may not have the required data on file. But if you bring such things as school ID, any store credit cards you may have, social security card, or birth certificate, it will make things even easier.
Old Dec 7, 11, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I would strongly advise against bringing any sensitive documents like birth certificates and Social Security cards for perusal by TSA employees (even copies). There is a process in place to verify someone who has no form of ID; use that. Just allow for some extra time since the OP is a young adult with a smaller "trail", and it may take longer for the screener to search the public databases.
Old Dec 7, 11, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ21 View Post
Hello I was just wondering if there is anything i need to do or can do in the next two weeks to find some type of acceptable identification to increase the chance of me catching my flight the only thing i have is a school id pretty much and im 18.
ID is not an absolute requirement. If you are unable to secure a valid ID before your flight then try getting to the airport an extra 30 minutes early. There is a system called an IVCC check that can validate your identity, but it takes some time.
Old Dec 7, 11, 6:39 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Recent experience with this, my wife lost her wallet while traveling....

One thing they ask for is some verification of your address, like a utility bill or other bill, cell phone bill, or receipt that has both your name and address.
A checkbook with unused checks that have your name & address pre-printed on them. A health insurance card with your name on it. Something you could not fake.

Photocopies of documents are worthless, they cannot accept them. It took about an hour extra for the TSO to clear her for screening.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: