Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a Kindle - unpack for Security?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Flying with a Kindle - unpack for Security?

For those of you who fly with a Kindle: at screening, do you regard it as a "computer" and so unpack it from your luggage and let it pass through the screening machine separately?

I'm guessing yes, but I'm not sure.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:20 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow in the Travel Safety/Security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: United
Nope, it stays packed right next to my iPad. They don't need to be out where a TSO can steal it easily.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:23 pm

I do not. It's not a computer in the least and it's certainly smaller than netbooks which are allowed to stay in their cases too.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:48 pm

The issue really isn't whether it's a "computer" or not, but how dense it looks on x-ray, meaning whether it "shadows" other things. A Kindle won't.

Last edited by RichardKenner; Aug 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
I asked the screeners at MSP about my Galaxy tablet and was told that it could stay packed. I have gone through security at many different airports with it in my carry on and never had an issue.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Only once did someone tell me I should in the 3ish years I've owned my Kindle. I thanked him and then ignored the suggestion and still have never had to actually take it out. No problems at all leaving it in the bag.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Never. And I've never had a problem, whether it's been in my (relatively big) purse or carry-on bag.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
I never take it out of my bag, never a problem.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:19 pm

In Canada:
E-reader
"These items do not need to be removed from cases or bags in order to be screened."
http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/page.as...n&CategoryID=1

Silly that still in Canada laptops need to be out of checkpoint friendly sleeves.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I usually take my iPad out, but I forgot to take to take it out of my rollaboard when I went through security at MIA this weekend. I was too busy focusing on how I was going to berate the TSA agent doing my upcoming patdown. Funny they didn't say anything about my iPad being in my bag (or my liquids) but notice the 1.5" SOG keychain knife that has gone through every airport checkpoint for the past 2 years, and confiscated it.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Smile

It seems then that the consensus answer to my question is a resounding "No".

Thanks, everyone.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Seems that it all depends on the TSO. I had an issue with one this last weekend because my iPad, SLR, extra lens, and binoculars were all in one bag - he said the bag was "too dense" and totally unpacked my bag into two bins to re-run through the x-ray. He let me know several times that in his opinion iPads should always be removed from the bag because they had a "huge power supply."

He didn't think it was funny when I told him I suspected he just wanted to see if I could repack my bag..... Humorless sort, he was.

Only one other time have I had anyone make me take the iPad out of the carryon bag.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As with iPads and other small tablets, Kindles don't need to be pulled out and put in a separate bin.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
i have an ipad and its gone either way, there are times i leave it in and it goes through, and theres times they pull it out and say it must go through separate, really depends on how lazy the TSA agent is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.