Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New Micro-Airline that will "fly just below the TSA’s radar"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Micro-Airline that will "fly just below the TSA’s radar"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by battensea
I can't see this business model surviving.

When I get where I'm going, I need to be able to rent a car or easily access public transportation. What support infrastructure do these smaller airports have? The people who can afford hiring limos already have access to private jets and helicopters; they don't need this kind of airline.

And if PlaneRed's airline actually proves successful, the TSA rules will be changed, negating that major selling point.

But good luck to them. They deserve credit for thinking innovatively.
You have got to be kidding me! What public use airport (about 5200 in the US versus about 490 with scheduled service) could not have a rental car waiting for you next to the aircraft before you arrive?

Have you ever heard of the term fixed-base operators? Who would sell the fuel, make reservations for the overnight lodging, crew car or even rental?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by neko
A "shared ride" van would be cheaper, but even more time consuming.
Assuming everyone on the NYC flights is going to Manhattan, they could just have a luxury van/minibus pick-up at one designated NYC location for all the pax on the flight. That way, if the van is running late they simply hold the flight since everyone's on it.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
I can't see this business model surviving.

When I get where I'm going, I need to be able to rent a car or easily access public transportation. What support infrastructure do these smaller airports have? The people who can afford hiring limos already have access to private jets and helicopters; they don't need this kind of airline.
Take a look at the Hertz Local Edition (HLE) locations. They often service small airports not to mention that most of the big boy rental services will pick you up and take you to the nearest car rental location with a phone call.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by knotyeagle
You have got to be kidding me! What public use airport (about 5200 in the US versus about 490 with scheduled service) could not have a rental car waiting for you next to the aircraft before you arrive?

Have you ever heard of the term fixed-base operators? Who would sell the fuel, make reservations for the overnight lodging, crew car or even rental?
Let's see where this business is in about 3 years.
I'll be all too happy to admit I was wrong if they make it.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
It has a good model in K5.

Seaport has been operating in small airports and bypassing TSA security since 2008.

One of those locations is Boeing Field, south of Seattle.

They have a Hertz location there as well as a bus stop and shuttle service.

How much more do you need?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:25 am
16A

Yeah there are shades of Dayjet in this one that will probably scare investors off. I would think that they would probably be more likely to be successful by copping Seaport's model on the east coast (just do BED-TEB). Lower outlay, easier to start small, not as likely to peeve customers (as they aren't paying a subscription). I get the feeling that it's a couple of business school kids with pilot's licenses behind it (at least from checking out their twitter account) - they probably should just go get some VC money (on the basis of a Seaport East) and drop the subscription idea.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
It has a good model in K5.

Seaport has been operating in small airports and bypassing TSA security since 2008.

One of those locations is Boeing Field, south of Seattle.

They have a Hertz location there as well as a bus stop and shuttle service.

How much more do you need?
Gimme a list of small airports with similar infrastructure around the country.
One or two locations doesn't a network make, unless you happen to need to go to Seattle or Boston.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
One or two locations doesn't a network make, unless you happen to need to go to Seattle or Boston.
Last trip I made in my plane to Norwood, Mass. there was an Avis car waiting on the ramp for me. The Avis office is in the FBO. Lots - and I mean LOTS - of other GA airports have rental cars available, either on-site or delivered.

Ones I've used include:
Manassas, VA
Ft. Meade, MD
Norwood, MA
Stinson Field (San Antonio)
Dallas Redbird (Dallas Exec)
Hobby
Aurora, IL
Winchester, VA
Frederick, MD
Blacksburg, VA
Mesa, AZ
Fredericksburg, TX
Wings Field (Valley Forge, PA)
and numerous others.

Enterprise will deliver/pick-up, if you're top-tier in National they will deliver, Hertz Local Edition (HLE) will often deliver/pick-up.

Yes, there are some small fields, usually rural, where rental cars can be an issue, but those really aren't targeted for this new airline service. Likewise, I'd bet for a service like this would encourage the car rent companies to up their service at the airports.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by JumboD
Assuming everyone on the NYC flights is going to Manhattan, they could just have a luxury van/minibus pick-up at one designated NYC location for all the pax on the flight. That way, if the van is running late they simply hold the flight since everyone's on it.
Cape Air already does this with their marketed service between HPN and LEB (White River Junction, VT/West Lebanon, NH). The van is timed to meet the Cessna they use on the route and the 9 pax (IIRC) are given a complimentary ride to/from midtown. At the moment, though, I do believe they are required to pass through TSA even though according to the rules they might not be strictly required to.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:05 pm

Location: MEM -- ex-DL PLT, then NW PLT by choice, now DL again.
Originally Posted by essxjay
As does PDX and a few other midsize airports. SeaPort Air is a 5 min. walk via pedestrian/bike path from the main terminal's baggage claim.
SeaPort is a great example. I fly them from MEM to MCI (via Harrison, AR). Leave the Signature terminal at MEM, land at the Signature terminal at MCI. My friends think I'm crazy to fly a 9-seat, single prop plane to get there, but it's worth it to have a convenient, friendly, TSA-free experience.

"No lines. No rubber gloves. No need to take your shoes off. Simply arrive 15 minutes before your flight, board and go. It's air travel the way it should be - fast and hassle-free."
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:29 am

OK, here are suitable alternatives for the top 10 busiest airports in the US.

1. ATL. Fulton County (FTY) or Peachtree Dekalb (PDK)
2. ORD. Palwaukee (PWK) or DuPage (DPA), or if you're really brave, Gary (GYY)
3. LAX. Long Beach (LGB) or Burbank (BUR)
4. DFW. Love (DAL), Meacham (FTTW) or Alliance (AFW)
5. DEN. Centenial (APA) or Front Range (FTR)
6. JFK. Teterboro (TEB) or Republic (ISP)
7. LAS. North Las Vegas (VGT)
8. IAH. Hobby (HOU)
9. PHX. More than anywhere else with Mesa (IWA), Chandler (CHD), Falcon (FFV), etc
10. SFO. Hayward (HWD), Oakland (OAK), SAn Jose (SJC)

Actualy there is no need to avoid the major airports since you can use the GA access points at the various Fixed Base Operators which are not in the main terminals. Like e.g., Landmark Aviation at ATL. They have rental cars, a free shuttle, wireless internet, taxi availability, and YEEGADS!, jet fuel at $8.30 a gallon. At FTY, it's $6.85.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc
OK, here are suitable alternatives for the top 10 busiest airports in the US.

1. ATL. Fulton County (FTY) or Peachtree Dekalb (PDK)
2. ORD. Palwaukee (PWK) or DuPage (DPA), or if you're really brave, Gary (GYY) or Aurora (ARR)
3. LAX. Long Beach (LGB) or Burbank (BUR) Or Hawthorne (HHR) or Ontario (ONT)
4. DFW. Love (DAL), Meacham (FTTW) or Alliance (AFW) or Addison (ADS) or Dallas Exec/Redbird (RBD) or Grand Prairie or Arlington
5. DEN. Centenial (APA) or Front Range (FTR)
6. JFK. Teterboro (TEB) or Republic (FRG) or Islip (ISP) or White Plains (HPN)
7. LAS. North Las Vegas (VGT) or Henderson
8. IAH. Hobby (HOU) or Sugarland or Hooks
9. PHX. More than anywhere else with Mesa (IWA), Chandler (CHD), Falcon (FFV), etc
10. SFO. Hayward (HWD), Oakland (OAK), SAn Jose (SJC)

Actualy there is no need to avoid the major airports since you can use the GA access points at the various Fixed Base Operators which are not in the main terminals. Like e.g., Landmark Aviation at ATL. They have rental cars, a free shuttle, wireless internet, taxi availability, and YEEGADS!, jet fuel at $8.30 a gallon. At FTY, it's $6.85.
A few additions and corrections in red
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
bump...

Any news on these guys? I like the idea, but certainly hope it doesn't turn out like Seaport.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I've asked this once before in another thread (or maybe PMed a TS/S regular) but if anyone knows where to find a comprehensive list of 135 carriers please share it here or start a new topic. Muchos gracias.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
... a list of 135 carriers....
Try http://www.aircharterguide.com/ .

Not sure how comprehensive it is, but it lists over 1800 in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.