Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS card decline as ID at BOS Terminal B

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
NEXUS card decline as ID at BOS Terminal B

I realize that there are numerous threads along these lines... perhaps time to create a Master Thread?

I offered my NEXUS card as ID at BOS Terminal B yesterday, flying US Airways domestically.

The ID checker asked if I had a passport on me. I said no (though I did have one). He said this wasn't an acceptable form of ID. I told him that the TSA website says otherwise. (Regrettably, I did not have a printout with me, but will in the future.)

We were at a stalemate, so he called over a Supervisor. The supervisor also claimed the ID was not an acceptable one, but that he could review and approve it on a case-by-case basis. I asked why it was on the website as an acceptable ID. The two pointed out that they don't control the website and so can't speak to it.

I refused to give another ID, and the Supervisor said that he could approve it. I asked why it required a special process when it was on the approved list. All he'd say was "I approved you."

Regrettably, I failed to get their names and request and fill out a comment form, which is out of character for me. Oh well.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Again, so much for the blog post from Pissy about him making sure all of his agents knew what NEXUS card are, and that they are acceptable ID. What kind of supervisor came over? If you had time, I would suggest escalating to the FSD, and possibly asking for an airline rep.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andymo99
I realize that there are numerous threads along these lines... perhaps time to create a Master Thread?

I offered my NEXUS card as ID at BOS Terminal B yesterday, flying US Airways domestically.

The ID checker asked if I had a passport on me. I said no (though I did have one). He said this wasn't an acceptable form of ID. I told him that the TSA website says otherwise. (Regrettably, I did not have a printout with me, but will in the future.)

We were at a stalemate, so he called over a Supervisor. The supervisor also claimed the ID was not an acceptable one, but that he could review and approve it on a case-by-case basis. I asked why it was on the website as an acceptable ID. The two pointed out that they don't control the website and so can't speak to it.

I refused to give another ID, and the Supervisor said that he could approve it. I asked why it required a special process when it was on the approved list. All he'd say was "I approved you."

Regrettably, I failed to get their names and request and fill out a comment form, which is out of character for me. Oh well.
He was just saving face by reassuring himself that he was still the authority so he could end the encounter believing he had won, and thereby perserving his supply of testosterone
Old May 23, 2011, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
He was just saving face by reassuring himself that he was still the authority so he could end the encounter believing he had won, and thereby perserving his supply of testosterone
Exactly that. The fact that he refused to answer your question is proof. He may not have believed he "won," but at least he knew he didn't "lose."

BTW, I would definitely send something to the Boston FSD, even if you don't have her name. She was surprisingly responsive when I sent something in, although I sent in a compliment.

These Nexus cards sound like fun. How do I get one?

Mike
Old May 23, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mikeef
These Nexus cards sound like fun. How do I get one?
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...prog/nexus.xml

The good: it speeds up the immigration & customs process when traveling between US and Canada going both ways, it's cheap ($50 for five years) and you get GE gratis along with NEXUS

The bad: compared to GE, interview locations for NEXUS are much more limited; much likely to sign up for NEXUS the next time you visit Canada.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Ugh, nothing even close to me.

Mike
Old May 23, 2011, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And it's cerebral lightweights like this who are supposed to keep us safe?

Now when the TSO asked if you had a passport on you (and you did), if it was me, I would have simply answered "yes" and said nothing more as I was asked a question and I answered it with the next move being that of the TSO
Old May 23, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
And it's cerebral lightweights like this who are supposed to keep us safe?

Now when the TSO asked if you had a passport on you (and you did), if it was me, I would have simply answered "yes" and said nothing more as I was asked a question and I answered it with the next move being that of the TSO
Exactly.

When they ask me if I have a DL I say "yes" and look right at them.

When they ask to see the DL I say "The NEXUS is an acceptable form of identification according to your SOP. If it is a problem, call your supervisor. I have plenty of time. I will step over to the side out of the way and wait."

Then I do.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Interesting.

I had an ID checker at SEA refuse my US passport as acceptable ID, insisting that instead I must show "government issued photos ID" such as my Washington State driver's license instead.

Irony - my WA driver's license is not considered "real ID" by the state of Arizona, so while I on assignment here in FLG, the bank demanded I show my passport as ID when I needed a document notarized.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
Interesting.

I had an ID checker at SEA refuse my US passport as acceptable ID, insisting that instead I must show "government issued photos ID" such as my Washington State driver's license instead.

good grief.... who do they think issues a passport and what do they think the dreadful likeness of the carrier all passports are required to have in them is?
Old May 24, 2011, 12:26 pm

Irony - my WA driver's license is not considered "real ID" by the state of Arizona, so while I on assignment here in FLG, the bank demanded I show my passport as ID when I needed a document notarized.
In the future I can see this happening more often - a state rejecting another state's ID. This is is the reason why I am in favour of a passport card being officially approved as a national identity document by the federal government. I know it is not a very popular opinion in the USA, but why insist on using state-issued IDs if they can be rejected by other states at will?
Old May 24, 2011, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Interesting.

Interesting. WA is one place where I don't expect to run into a problem using Nexus card as ID.

And if I show a valid ID (such as Nexus) and the checker refuses it, I will always elevate. This happened years ago when my CLEAR card was rejected.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
After at least a half a dozen ....er...uh.... "training exercises," yeah that works, at my home airport in the dead middle of the country, almost, with only one or two NS international flights per day each way, I can finally say, it is accepted every time now.

Last edited by essxjay; May 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm Reason: inflammatory
Old May 24, 2011, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by andymo99
Good suggestion. We'll add it to the housekeeping wish list. :-:

...ess, TS/S mod
Old May 24, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Interesting.

I had the same issue at BWI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.